Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 09:02   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTviN View Post
However, the vibrations have not fully gone. Upon careful inspection, I found that most of the vibration is now coming from the speaker pads. As you know the speaker pads are externally attached to the door pad with a push in kind of slots and not screwed in. So these speaker pads are vibrating on the door pad.
One way to get around this is to try and source a good looking speaker grill and get rid of the so called speaker pad. I am assuming you are talking of the plastic grill that sits on the door pad covering the speaker.

Quote:
I am thinking of pasting a layer of thin sponge on the edges where the speaker pad edges are resting. Idea is that it will create a barrier and vibrations will reduce. But not sure how much it will reduce.
Try and get a thin sheet of rubber along the circumference of the speaker pad. Try and post some pics, lets see if we can come up with better ideas.
Old 13th June 2011, 10:23   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I am thinking of pasting a layer of thin sponge on the edges where the speaker pad edges are resting. ...
Are you still using the OE speakers and grills? If so, take out the grills, take 2 pieces of 1"x2"x1" open cell foam blocks and stick them to the door pad with rubber solution to the left and right of the speaker, and push the grills back in (the foam should compress). This should reduce the vibrations.

The vibrations coming to the grill shouldn't affect the music, unless it is making the grill rattle.
Old 14th June 2011, 22:50   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
The Manza diesel does not require damping IMO. Its pretty quite & the only sound filtering in is the engine note when revved & it sounds surprisingly good.
The note of the engine when revved (2500rpm and above) was pretty noisy in the Manza Elan I test drove. Hence the thought of damping. Any thoughts on where I can get that done and what to use? Thanks for your help.
Old 14th June 2011, 23:20   #829
BHPian

Well, test drive cars are most definitely in worse condition than your new car being delivered. Another thing is that in general driving in the city, you will hardly rev over 2500-3000rpm anyways.

As for where to get your damping done if you decide on doing it, i cannot help you there as i dont know about damping places in Delhi. But yes, do drive your car a bit to see if you really require it.

Last edited by Xehaust : 14th June 2011 at 23:26.
Old 17th June 2011, 08:15   #830
BHPian

The wind noise at 100+ speed on highway was always a bother for me in my Octavia. I was not very convinced that dampening would NOT be of any real help for wind noise.

After a search in SP road area, I managed to find a "D" profile rubber strip, which I have gluded to the edges of the all doors including the large rear door. I have not tried the car at high speed yet, but the reduction in outside noise is very significant. All this for Rs.680/-. Really worth it.

Encouraged by the result, I dampend both the front doors with a acoustic material called "Aura<something>>". The installer was not at comfortable pasting the whole sheet...but regardless i insisted. There was quite a significant amount of reduction, in what i originally thought was part of the engine noise. A very low level humble that used to bother me, has reduced significantly. Guess the proximity of the front door to the engine related vibration was causing all that low level rumble!!

Next I indend to dampen the trunk...as most of it just plain metal sheet (with a little dampening already thrown in by Skoda). I guess dampening the area above the tyres would in particular be of great help. I'm planning to use ArmaSound...it kind of stinks at the momement. Any one had any "stinking" issues with ArmaCell/ArmaSound ?
Old 17th June 2011, 14:27   #831
Senior - BHPian

^ Can you please post pics of the rubber strips installed ?
Old 17th June 2011, 22:14   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Well, test drive cars are most definitely in worse condition than your new car being delivered. Another thing is that in general driving in the city, you will hardly rev over 2500-3000rpm anyways.

As for where to get your damping done if you decide on doing it, i cannot help you there as i dont know about damping places in Delhi. But yes, do drive your car a bit to see if you really require it.
Sure. I'll drive a bit and then ascertain if it really needs damping. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
^ Can you please post pics of the rubber strips installed ?
+1 to that. I would be interested as well.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:11   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Are you still using the OE speakers and grills? If so, take out the grills, take 2 pieces of 1"x2"x1" open cell foam blocks and stick them to the door pad with rubber solution to the left and right of the speaker, and push the grills back in (the foam should compress). This should reduce the vibrations.

The vibrations coming to the grill shouldn't affect the music, unless it is making the grill rattle.
Thanks DerAlte and rjstyles69 for the suggession. However, I guess it came a little late. I found a better and rather simple way of doing it. I used a little rubber based glue on the edge of the speaker cover (Yes, the plastic thing which comes as OE) and fitted it back. It has stuck to the door nicely and no more vibrations from it
Old 29th June 2011, 16:30   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
The wind noise at 100+ speed on highway was always a bother for me in my Octavia. I was not very convinced that dampening would NOT be of any real help for wind noise.

After a search in SP road area, I managed to find a "D" profile rubber strip, which I have gluded to the edges of the all doors including the large rear door. I have not tried the car at high speed yet, but the reduction in outside noise is very significant. All this for Rs.680/-. Really worth it.
How did u stick the "D" profile rubber strip (what glue) ? Why did you not try sticking the "D" rubber strip over the existing door seals?
Old 15th July 2011, 17:41   #835
BHPian

I got dynamat extreme from US, Pls suggest any good installer in Faridabad or Delhi
Old 31st July 2011, 10:38   #836
BHPian

Quote:

Encouraged by the result, I dampend both the front doors with a acoustic material called "Aura<something>>". The installer was not at comfortable pasting the whole sheet...but regardless i insisted. There was quite a significant amount of reduction, in what i originally thought was part of the engine noise. A very low level humble that used to bother me, has reduced significantly. Guess the proximity of the front door to the engine related vibration was causing all that low level rumble!!

Next I indend to dampen the trunk...as most of it just plain metal sheet (with a little dampening already thrown in by Skoda). I guess dampening the area above the tyres would in particular be of great help. I'm planning to use ArmaSound...it kind of stinks at the momement. Any one had any "stinking" issues with ArmaCell/ArmaSound ?
Sorry was travelling and could not follow up. The stink from Armasound is gone. The overall noise reduction is very significant and makes u feel even more comfortable at higher speed...highly recommended. The low-freq rumble of the engine is greatly reducted after the damping.

For wind noise, I used a D-Profile rubber that i purchased locally. However, it deformed very quickly in the summer heat. I've ordered this...
3.3m D Type Sound Insulation Seal Strip Black for Car | eBay

In the meanwhile, I've sold my octavia - due to the Yeti temptation with the on going promotion.
Old 1st August 2011, 00:42   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I got dynamat extreme from US, Pls suggest any good installer in Faridabad or Delhi
'Driven' in East of Kailash, F block, New Delhi you could get their complete details from the NCR directory on the forum.
Old 8th August 2011, 13:52   #838
BHPian

How good is Rockford Fosgate - Dead Skin?. What will be the cost of the same?
Old 12th August 2011, 09:14   #839
BHPian

Quote:
For wind noise, I used a D-Profile rubber that i purchased locally. However, it deformed very quickly in the summer heat. I've ordered this...
3.3m D Type Sound Insulation Seal Strip Black for Car | eBay
How is the sound insulation seal strip doing? how does it fare against the d-profile purchased locally? If its good I am also planning to order this.
Old 12th August 2011, 11:43   #840
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried Armacell for damping their cars ? Contacted their dealer in Bangalore for a demo on this product and never heard back from them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks