Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:58   #1036
BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Team,

Has anyone tried this sound dampening product sold on Ebay India ?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....m=261369796268

The description sounds promising

Cheers
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:58   #1037
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Has anyone tried this sound dampening product sold on Ebay India ?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....m=261369796268

The description sounds promising

Cheers
The description is quite vague. There are any number of elastomeric materials than can be used. Almost all damping materials are laminates.

Still you never know untill you try and compare.
Old 30th January 2014, 23:41   #1038
BHPian

Guys - what can be used on the firewall to reduce engine noise in the cabin? I am willing to pay for the best as long as it works and is safe. I am guessing that installing damping material behind the firewall will require some skilled hands as the entire dash will need to be dismantled?
Old 11th April 2014, 01:21   #1039
BHPian

I'm using bitumen based heat resistant sheets to damp the engine noise out even further on my Xing and I must say it seems to work ( bro checked back and gave the ). So far I'v done uncovered parts around the engine block. This is aluminium backed so it actually does something, and is supposed to reflect engine heat. After I have the hood done ( need more of this stuff and to buy some damping rubber and foam.. ) I'll post some pics tomorrow.

The roll is 10cm x 10M x1.5mm so about 1 Sq Metre ( 10 sq feet) for 900 bucks. I should be able to buy the next roll cheaper. Delhi Bitumen Suppliers @ sector 7 Chandigarh.

This is supposed to lie in the sun all day on AC vents and take the heat so it should not melt. I've put a little patch on the hood to test it before I move on to the hood. All in all doing the area around the engine, the hood and all doors + hatch should cost me 2 rolls @ 1.8K DIY. Good savings.

Question: Any way I can reduce the road noise? I'm thinking wheel wells but how much will damping the floor really help? Is it worth the cost - effort involvement? I find a big difference in noise from road to road. Other cars fare much better on the same roads.

I've got 5K run JK Tornado 160/65R13 tyres. Downsized from R14. Changing these for the next 30K is not an option

Do I need to do the firewall? I noticed it's already got factory fitted dampening material!
Old 11th April 2014, 12:35   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
... all doors + hatch ...

Question: Any way I can reduce the road noise? ...
Damping the doors (inside of the outer metal layer, and the doorpad) will substantially reduce road noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
... Do I need to do the firewall? I noticed it's already got factory fitted dampening material!
in a petrol engine car, you don't really need to damp the firewall. The OE damping suffices.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 11:19   #1041
BHPian

I want to reduce Engine, road and wind noise in the cabin of my Palio Stile. Basically, make the cabin as silent as possible. What are the solutions and how much would it cost? Which is the best place to get it done in Bangalore? Please help.

I have already changed tires to Michelin XM2. I have a very basic audio setup of Sony HU and JBL (front) and Sony (rear) speakers fitted in stock locations and don't really intend to upgrade it at this point.
Old 6th July 2014, 12:20   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
I want to reduce Engine, road and wind noise in the cabin of my Palio Stile. Basically, make the cabin as silent as possible. What are the solutions and how much would it cost?
I personally cant recommend any palaces in Bangalore as i am not from the city, however i can tell you how you can make your cabin as quiet as possible.
  1. Get an underbbody coating done at any 3M service center. This is a rubberized paint that hels in sound deadening.
  2. Strip your car interiors and apply butyl damping sheets such as those offered by stinger, dynamat and noisekill. Pay attention to areas above the tires. Also sound dampen your doors.
  3. Install closed cell foam sheets between the door covers and the doors.
This would help you in achieving your goal of a dead silent car.
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 17:39   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to reduce Engine, road and wind noise in the cabin of my Palio Stile. Basically, make the cabin as silent as possible. What are the solutions and how much would it cost? Which is the best place to get it done in Bangalore? Please help. ...
* Engine noise wouldn't be an issue if the engine is petrol. If diesel, one has to apply damping material to the firewall from the cabin side - not trivial as one has to strip a lot of things first

* Wind noise is something that you can't do anything about, as it has to do with the primary design of the car

* Applying damping material to the outermost metal layer of the door will reduce road noise (induced through chassis and door hinges) the most. There will be some OE already there - apply over those pieces

* Applying damping material on large uninterrupted areas of the doorpad, will cut down resonance in the door cavity, and prevent that from attenuating the mid-bass. No point in covering the middle metal later of the door - it doesn't affect anything

* The floor pan is already factory damped. Apply damping to doors first. If the road noise is still bothering you, adding a layer of closed cell foam below the carpet will provide a little more damping

* The hatch door can be damped by stuffing a mix of good cotton waste and rolled up CC foam

* While you are at it, make sure that all loose cables are stayed down properly so that they don't rattle

* Any of the installers listed in the Bangalore installers' directory can do it for you. Shouldn't cost more than 6K + labour for the Palio Stile.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 20:44   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* Applying damping material to the outermost metal layer of the door will reduce road noise (induced through chassis and door hinges) the most. There will be some OE already there - apply over those pieces

* Applying damping material on large uninterrupted areas of the doorpad, will cut down resonance in the door cavity, and prevent that from attenuating the mid-bass. No point in covering the middle metal later of the door - it doesn't affect anything

* The hatch door can be damped by stuffing a mix of good cotton waste and rolled up CC foam
Mine is petrol car. Took it to HSR Layout 3M today and got underbody treatment done - hope it'll help.

Will take up door damping next. Can I assume you are referring only to front doors? Which is the most cost effective option to damp the doors?
I have heard some people using yoga mats. Is that really an option? If yes, I can simply get it from Super Market and get it done by paying labor. Of course, don't want to introduce any new problems by opting for some non-standard option.
Old 7th July 2014, 07:01   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... got underbody treatment done - hope it'll help. ...
I hope so too. At least it will prevent floor pan rusting.

Quote:
... Can I assume you are referring only to front doors? ...
No, all 4 doors and hatch.

Quote:
... Which is the most cost effective option to damp the doors? ...
The most cost effective is damping sheets - there are quite a few brands available. For price, you will have to ask at the dealers.

Quote:
... I have heard some people using yoga mats. Is that really an option? If yes, I can simply get it from Super Market and get it done by paying labor. ...
You will have to do it yourself, installers won't agree to do it as it doesn't come with adhesive backing. One has to spread synthetic rubber solution (like Fevicol SR), press it in place, remove it till the adhesive is almost dry, and press it in place with a roller.
Old 28th August 2014, 15:05   #1046
BHPian

I've being suggested STP by the 2 dealers I went to for my car audio setup. At similar price points, which will be better STP or Dampmat ?
Old 12th October 2014, 21:11   #1047
BHPian

Does this sound deadener come as standard in ritz? I did not find it in my ritz LDI. VDI, ZDI owners can share their views. Is this sound deadener is a MGA accessory??
Attached Thumbnails
The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-sounddeadener1.jpg  

Old 5th November 2014, 21:22   #1048
BHPian

Any idea where I can get Dyna/ Dyna Extreme for sound dampening my Etios Liva? And is there anyone who can do the job well?

I need to damp the engine noise that filters in into the cabin in the old Liva (mine is 2012 model -- the new models are silent in the cabin).
Old 18th November 2014, 20:22   #1049
BHPian

Hi,

Need some advice from the experts. My wife drives Nissan Micra CVT and there is lot of road and engine noise inside the cabin. What is the best way to address this? Will door dampeners and under body sprays by 3M help?

Also, please point to the locations where we can get this done in Hyderabad.

Thanks.
Old 18th November 2014, 22:13   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Does this sound deadener come as standard in ritz? I did not find it in my ritz LDI. VDI, ZDI owners can share their views. Is this sound deadener is a MGA accessory??
I am not sure if the Ritz came with one or not but you can surely make one yourself and fix it Or easier head to the nearest MGP store and ask them, If they have it buy it and fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotha View Post
Hi,

Need some advice from the experts. My wife drives Nissan Micra CVT and there is lot of road and engine noise inside the cabin. What is the best way to address this? Will door dampeners and under body sprays by 3M help?

Also, please point to the locations where we can get this done in Hyderabad.

Thanks.

Under-body spray will help a bit but not by that much.
If you are on stock tyres, Change them! Get some good tyres that will make a huge improvement.
This will not only reduce road noise but also improve the cars ride, handling and braking!
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks