Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 17:39   #1111
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
As per auto shop to dampen this place would mean ruining car roof as everything will have to be taken out. Any suggestions?
He is quite right. Avoid taking out the roof liner.

One suggestion - but check the feasibility before doing it.
Take out the rubber beading & see if you can spot any gaps between the roof lining & the roof. If there is any gap, slide in a strip of butyl rubber damping sheet (sticky surface pointing to roof). Press it to stick. Give it a shot .. may help a little.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 21:55   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Need some advice here - I'm looking to damp my car ( an Alto ) comprehensively, i.e. roof, floor, doors, & hatch.
I have with me :
1 x Dynamat-Xtreme bulk-pack ( 36 sq.ft )
2 x Dynamat-Xtreme door-kits
6 x Wurth damping sheets
So finally got the damping & the I.C.E installed in my car last week.
In addition to all the damping material already available with me, I had bought 2 more bulk-packs of STP-Silver for damping the car.
The floor, roof, doors, & hatch were all damped - I estimate that the damping material alone has added about 30 Kgs to the car, if not more.
Of all the damping material provided, only one of the DynaMat-Xtreme Door-Kits & the Wurth sheets got left out - everything else was used to damp the car.
The doors feel quite solid now & even at volumes high enough to liquify your insides, it does not appear that everything's going to fly apart.

That said, while the interior is now a much quieter space than earlier, there is still some road noise filtering within.

My query to the I.C.E folks is, what else should I be doing, from a damping perspective, to reduce road-noise ?
Old 7th December 2015, 23:15   #1113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My query to the I.C.E folks is, what else should I be doing, from a damping perspective, to reduce road-noise ?
There will be some hidden small holes /gaps -esp in the firewall area - that cant be closed. Hence would suggest to let that be.

One thing I can still think of is - the wheels. Have you added anything in the engine-bay, around the wheel area.

Last edited by condor : 7th December 2015 at 23:16.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:53   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One thing I can still think of is - the wheels.
Have you added anything in the engine-bay, around the wheel area.
Thanks, as far as I can tell, the wheel wells inside the car have been damped - should I damp the engine bay also ?
The thing is that the engine noise is now quite damped.
I used to have a very loud end-can, but recently I got a mid-muffler / resonator fitted to decrease the exhaust volume.
Now, after damping, the exhaust volume ( sound ) has decreased even more, the exhaust is just a muted note now, hence a tad sceptical that damping the engine bay will help.
Frustrated that even after using 3 bulk-packs ( ~116 sq.ft ) of damping material, road noise is still filtering in
Old 8th December 2015, 12:25   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Frustrated that even after using 3 bulk-packs ( ~116 sq.ft ) of damping material, road noise is still filtering in
You'll have to accept the fact that you have a car - not a soundproof studio. Some amount of road noise is going to filter in no matter what, all that damping only prevents certain frequencies and no amount of extra damping elsewhere is going to help further more. You're only pouring in more money and making the car heavier without decreasing noise.
SunnyBoi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 13:54   #1116
BHPian

Reminds me of Sanjay Gandhi's ambassador car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
It could be because of the roof light wires touching the roof. If you are looking to damp only that sound, stuff that area with a foam sheet by taking the A pillar cladding and the other screws nearby, you will get enough clearance to put your hands above the roof lining.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 8th December 2015 at 13:55.
Old 8th December 2015, 18:38   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Reminds me of Sanjay Gandhi's ambassador car. ...
Do you mean the (original, ugly) Maruti with Triumph engine? Had never seen him with an Amby (other cars, yes). He even wanted to get VW to manufacture Beetle in India.
Old 12th December 2015, 22:50   #1118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Today must be our lucky day found his visiting card in a stackpile hehe.
Wasnt difficult to find the shop. But he was not willing to give less than 1 full roll. Each roll is 20m, and costs 1950 or so .. It did not feel very heavy.
Old 5th January 2016, 16:22   #1119
BHPian

Re: Car Carpets

Sorry to dig an Old Thread, what's your idea of using heatlon inside door to reduce noise and increase Sound quality from Speakers ? Car in Question is Duster
Old 5th January 2016, 17:06   #1120
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Carpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Sorry to dig an Old Thread, what's your idea of using heatlon inside door to reduce noise and increase Sound quality from Speakers ? Car in Question is Duster
Generally damping material like Dampguard or Dampmat Xtreme is used inside door pads to improve sound insulation, thereby improving sound quality inside.
I guess this is more appropriate in the Damping material technical section than here!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:41   #1121
BHPian

Came across Scosche damping sheets in my town (nothing else available here). Any inputs regarding the quality of these sheets and is it worth Rs.1500/- per sheet? Looks quite expensive to me.
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:00   #1122
BHPian

I am getting quotes for ICE on my new Scorpio. The accessory shop is quoting 7500 for damping of two front doors with 3 sheet layers. Is the price ok? Seems a bit excessive.
Old 23rd March 2016, 09:49   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
The accessory shop is quoting 7500 for damping of two front doors with 3 sheet layers. Is the price ok?
Price is okay only if damping material is 'Dynamat extreme' else it is expensive.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:48   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I am getting quotes for ICE on my new Scorpio. The accessory shop is quoting 7500 for damping of two front doors with 3 sheet layers. Is the price ok? Seems a bit excessive.
It does sound a bit steep.

3 sheet layers? Do they mean outer, inner and door pad? Or do they mean 3 layers one on top of the other?

Check with 3M - even they are pushing damping, and they sound economical.

If you are going in for damping, damp all 4 doors and rear door. The rear door need not have sheets - rolled up closed cell foam stuffed between outer and inner metal layers is good enough.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 10:12   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
It does sound a bit steep.

3 sheet layers? Do they mean outer, inner and door pad? Or do they mean 3 layers one on top of the other?

Check with 3M - even they are pushing damping, and they sound economical.

If you are going in for damping, damp all 4 doors and rear door. The rear door need not have sheets - rolled up closed cell foam stuffed between outer and inner metal layers is good enough.
I think he meant 3 layers one on top of another - but will confirm.
I will inquire about the 4 and rear door damping as you suggested - can you give an approx cost for the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks