Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2019, 16:49   #1201
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
like shown in these two below photos ? I am little confused when u say "inner wall of the outer (metal) panel"
Exactly as shown in these pictures.

You do not need to damp the fiber based out panel where the winders and other controls are installed.
navin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 01:29   #1202
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am planning to get some damping /sound deadening done for my Dzire VXI (2013) especially for high NVH levels besides expected improved audio performance. This car has done around 30k KMs in last 6 years.
Can you suggest a good place in Mumbai to get this Dynamat (equivalent) installed? What are other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Old 20th June 2019, 10:33   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Only the inner wall of the outer (metal) panel needs to be damped. Assume an average of 1 (16" x 36") sheet per door. If you want to be diligent maybe 5 sheets over 4 doors.
Would you be able to suggest a good place in Mumbai where I can get good damping/deadening done for my Dzire? Thanks.
Old 20th June 2019, 11:28   #1204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitksvs View Post
Would you be able to suggest a good place in Mumbai where I can get good damping/deadening done for my Dzire? Thanks.
There are several. Where in Mumbai are you?
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 12:12   #1205
Distinguished - BHPian

Un-damping a panel:

I tried to remove some damping sheets that I had stuck. Found that it is easier if the panel is heated. We cant heat the panel for this, so the closest option is to leave it in the sun to heat up and then attempt to remove.

The sheets will not come out completely, though.
Old 20th June 2019, 12:20   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
There are several. Where in Mumbai are you?
Thanks for replying!
I am in Bandra East, BKC to be precise. Would you have some suggestion for products which can be used and are value for money.
Old 20th June 2019, 15:38   #1207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you suggest a good place in Mumbai to get this Dynamat (equivalent) installed? What are other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Thanks for replying!
I am in Bandra East, BKC to be precise. Would you have some suggestion for products which can be used and are value for money.
Sorry I do not know any dealers in BKC/Bandra East. Why not look in the TBHP Directory? https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai/

There is a locally made product called Dampmat that I have used. Either way just make sure you are using a damping product that uses a butyl rubber base and not an asphalt base. The later does not last as long in the hot humid climate of Mumbai.
navin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 13:13   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I do not know any dealers in BKC/Bandra East. Why not look in the TBHP Directory? https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai/

There is a locally made product called Dampmat that I have used. Either way just make sure you are using a damping product that uses a butyl rubber base and not an asphalt base. The later does not last as long in the hot humid climate of Mumbai.
Thanks Navin. I am open to going to any good place in Mumbai, not necessarily in Bandra or BKC.
I spoke to Dinitrol / Tufkote too, it seems they also have a solution for sound deadening. Could someone comment or compare them with 3M acoustic Treatment, please!!

I was just wondering who/which place is considered to be best in terms of experience, workmanship and results, if you could please help.
Thanks again.
Old 4th July 2019, 01:41   #1209
BHPian

I think dampening is one of THE most important things in an audio upgrade. I didn't think so, but once I got dampening done, it made a world of a difference. I got dampening mats from DrArtex after trying some other brands and . . . wow!
thirdmainroad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 02:12   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
I think dampening is one of THE most important things in an audio upgrade. I didn't think so, but once I got dampening done, it made a world of a difference. I got dampening mats from DrArtex after trying some other brands and . . . wow!
That's great! Could you please share how much did it cost you ? I am planning on getting it done for my Scorpio.
My other car has a really good factory fit sound deadening material but the scorpio is more like sitting inside a drum. Specially in traffic.

Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 03:48   #1211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Those who have a hifi system, or anything that they consider makes good-quality sound would also be well advised to check out what rattles in the room. I know this can get OCDish, but most music rooms are also living rooms. Ornaments on glass shelves?
Old 4th July 2019, 04:00   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat B View Post
That's great! Could you please share how much did it cost you ? I am planning on getting it done for my Scorpio.
My other car has a really good factory fit sound deadening material but the scorpio is more like sitting inside a drum. Specially in traffic.

Thanks
Hi Shashwat, so the thing is I never gave damping importance and was steadfast against doing it, thinking it just to be gimmick. My biggest gripe was not rattling of the doors when music was played, (though it was an issue) but that I could push very minimal base through the fronts. Even a little too much, and the speakers would start to distort.

I went ahead with sound damping for Rs 3000 on my Honda WRV - for both front doors and it made a big difference and I could experience the wisdom of damping. I soon upgraded my entire set up, including the damping and got it done this time by an extremely professional audio installation team, Speedfreaks in Annanagar Chennai. This time, both the inside and outside of the doors were damped and it cost me about Rs 20,000.

I was after studio quality sound, and therefore spent a pretty penny. If you aren't looking for that, basic damping sets and installation should cost you Rs 2500- Rs 3000. It will make a a big difference for sure. Go for the thickest and heaviest material you can find that fits your budget.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th July 2019 at 08:09. Reason: Typos
thirdmainroad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 07:28   #1213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. got it done this time by an extremely professional audio installation team, Speedfreaks in Annanagar Chennai. This time, both the inside and outside of the doors were damped and it cost me about Rs 20,000.

I was after studio quality sound, and therefore spent a pretty penny.
@Thirdmainroad - have you shared the details on the forum yet ? This looks like a pretty detailed job and would like to see what and how was it done.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th July 2019 at 08:09. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 4th July 2019, 16:41   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Thirdmainroad - have you shared the details on the forum yet ? This looks like a pretty detailed job and would like to see what and how was it done.
Hi Condor.

Just did. It was a very detailed and excellently done job and I took time to leave a detailed post.

Its here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenn...ml#post4615262 (Car Audio Installation Chennai: Speedfreaks Annanagar)
thirdmainroad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 22:31   #1215
BHPian

Hey everyone, I have an Octavia 1.8 TSi, being petrol its comparatively silent but road noises irritates me. Can you please suggest which sheet/sound deadening material to use, how much quantity will be needed and how much budget should I take to make it super silent ?

Please note, I have no such inclination for ICE, basic idea is sound proofing.

Sorry for OT, though tyres (OEM Goodyear) have done just 20k, but I want to change the same for above mentioned reason, So suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks