Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2021, 12:36   #1
BHPian

Large Hatchbacks vs Compact SUVs

I have been thinking with the changing car scene, i.e. Kiger, Nexon, Brezza and other sub-4 m SUVs, what could be the advantage offered by large hatchbacks (Altroz, i20, etc) ?

The SUVs are usually better built as they are expected to handle tough terrain, can take loads, won't bottom out and can handle more luggage (except xuv300).

I would expect that the sub-4m SUVs will eventually kill off the large hatchbacks. The smaller ones like Tiago, Swift, etc will survive. The sedans again, would appeal to a different demographic who want a 3 box sedan.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Aditya : 30th January 2021 at 19:31. Reason: Grammar
terra85 is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th January 2021, 13:17   #2
BHPian

re: Large Hatchbacks vs Compact SUVs

A very interesting topic.

Back in April 2018, we had shortlisted the top models of the Baleno CVT and then upcoming Brezza AMT during our research for an automatic. We ultimately got the Baleno due to the smoother CVT and preference of parents. Again on 31st December 2018, a nephew did get the Brezza ZDI+ AMT as a part of year end clearance. I will list out some key points I had observed during the time (mostly specific to our choices from top models in 2018):

Pro-Hatchback:
1. More usable features compared to the SUV: If memory serves me right, Baleno had auto-dimming IRVM, UV Cut glass, HID headlights and a coloured MID, which the Brezza then did not have (manual dimming, no UV Cut, halogen projectors and a monochrome MID).
2. Slight edge in ride and handling: Lower height and softer suspensions do help a bit in the ride quality, handling and body roll. Between top models of Brezza and Baleno, there is a negligible difference in ride quality because the tyres are of a higher profile in Brezza, but a friend has a Delta variant of Baleno and it does seem to cushion better than the Brezza. We are not including the S-Cross and Duster here, as their designers have probably done some black magic on those cars.
3. Cost of purchase and ownership: A hatchback will always be cheaper to buy and run than the equivalent SUV (Jazz vs WRV can be the best example) due to lower purchase price and lower running costs (assuming better FE due to lower weight and height).

Pro-CSUV:
1. Height: You sit higher and are able to see more of what is ahead. The high ground clearance is also a boon in our potholed roads.
2. Road presence: Most SUVs have better road presence than the hatchbacks in the same price range.
3. Available options: Be it models or variants, the SUVs mostly have a longer list than the hatchback counterparts. Most hatchbacks have lost the diesel option post BS6 which may not be possible for SUVs as they will have to preferably diesel to negate the extra weight over a hatchback (torque, FE). There is lower chance of Maruti plonking their BS6 diesel in the Baleno. Last I checked, EcoSport had the automatic petrol and a few years back, an EcoBoost turbo-petrol which the Figo does not get (the auto was slated for a comeback with the 1.2 but I won't hold my hopes high). In Hyundai-Kia, Sonet gets the automatic in the diesel which the i20 loses (also the Venue but probably to charge a premium for the Sonet). WRV gets the diesel which the Jazz loses (although Jazz has the CVT which I do not understand why does not end up in the WRV). Manufacturers like Nissan-Renault and Ford do not even have any proper 4m hatchback on sale now.

In my conclusion, each has its own distinct pros, and hatchbacks still are giving a tough fight to the SUVs in the 4m segment.

Last edited by Researcher : 30th January 2021 at 13:38.
Researcher is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 13:21   #3
BHPian

I like the concept behind cars like Nexon, Ecosport and the their PSUV kins (PSUVs = Pretender SUVs). They provide good ground clearance (a must for our world class infrastructure) and ease of ingress/egress for the seniors. And usually they get the cream of engine and gearbox combos as compared to their hatchback brethren since people are ready to pay top rupee for the 'SUV' tag. So this class of cars will certainly prevail at the expense of good, larger hatchbacks.

That said, till the time we have designs like beautiful Altroz, striking and feature rich i20, classy, hot and ageless Polo etc. in the market, the larger hatchbacks will continue to find buyers. These cars present certain values (like safety, economy, VFM, design etc.) which appeal to wide strata of buyers looking for their first cars (especially in metros) and other enthusiasts in general.

In nutshell, these classes will coexist for a foreseeable future, albeit the mix of their demand will be increasingly skewed towards PSUVs.
museycal is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 13:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
The SUV usually are better built as they are expected to handle tough terrain, can take load won't bottom out
Can handle more luggage (except xuv300).
Mmm, I'm not sure about that, as they share the same platform with their hatchback counterparts and just with jacked up ride height and different body panels.

Quote:
I would expect that the sub 4m SUV will eventually kill off the large hatchbacks. The smaller ones like Tiago,Swift would survive . The sedans again would appeal to a different demographic who want a 3 box sedan.
Any thoughts on this ??
That's a real possibility. The number of cars and total segments killed by SUVs world over would surely agree.

That being said me being an average Joe would prefer CSUVs over premium hatchbacks anyday. For me the ride quality and interior space are the most important features. CSUVs offer the perfect ride height facilitating easy ingress and egress, right balance between interior space and compactness to drive in congestion, acceptable cruising ability further . The 4m rule has given rise to a perfect segment IMHO.
LurkingAround is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 14:11   #5
BHPian

Well, to give the car guys a different perspective, let me pitch in.

I have done more than my fair share of motorcycling and this is one aspect you should note when considering Hatchback vs SUV.

The overall height (of the roof) of the vehicle matters a LOT.

When I am perched on top of my Pulsar 220, large hatchbacks, pseudo SUVs, the all look the same. They are all beneath the motorcyclist. I can literally look ahead of these cars from over their roofs (my 6ft frame also helps matters).

In fact, when I started noticing cars like the Nexon for the first time, I thought what was all the fuss about! I can look at its ribbed roof just as easily as I can see them on the Nano or an Omni.

The only cars that felt Intimidating on the road when I am on the bike were the taller ones. Something like a Scorpio, XUV500, Safari, Harrier, Innova and co. Ecosport is the only car in this segment which gets my respect for being an SUV. Maybe the XUV300. But not the rest of the pack.

Pseudo SUVs seem large from the outside when we are sitting inside a sedan or a regular hatch, but for the 2-wheeler rider, they are all the same. And from the inside, there is hardly any difference in the interiors when comparing with a large hatchback.

The one biggest advantage of the higher GC and side skirts, something that I realised 2 weeks into my new car ownership is the PotholAbility / SpeedBreakerAbility of these cars are better than large hatchbacks. So do opt for them if you have an incompetent govt in your local area. For the rest of the usage, these should be identical (looking from the outside in perspective).
antz.bin is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 14:25   #6
BHPian

Seems pretty similar to discussions between C1 vs C2 sedans, just that in this case the order is reversed from a price point perspective.

My guess is - CSUVs will hit the large hatchbacks just like how C1 (Dzire, Amaze, etc) sedans have cornered majority of sedan market share with C2 (Verna, City, etc) being on the receiving end. Eventually both segments will co-exist but premium hatchbacks will lose market share due to the overlapping price point with CSUVs. On the face of it, CSUVs provide more bang for nearly the same buck in terms of perception and society status. Add to that, the craze for anything that ends with UV and it is not hard to predict which way the wind is blowing.
This is primarily one of the reasons we do not see hot hatches and other internationally selling products like Golf having a strong market in India. Apparently size does matter

Last edited by warrioraks : 30th January 2021 at 14:26.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 15:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what could be the advantage offered by large Hatchback.

The SUV usually are better built as they are expected to handle tough terrain, can take load won't bottom out
Can handle more luggage (except xuv300).
I would expect that the sub 4m SUV will eventually kill off the large hatchbacks.
The sedans again would appeal to a different demographic who want a 3 box sedan.
Advantage for hatchbacks is driving dynamics and more comfortable seating including the rear seat. Also preference of people whether they want the driving position to be low slung or high up.

The seating part sounds a but off but I base this on the feedback I got from rear seat passengers who preferred the rear seat of a Tiago(assuming Altroz to be same or better) to that of the XUV300's. The complaint being it was bouncier as if they're sitting on the wheel(which is true). Could also be because like you mentioned CSUVs are supposed to handle heavier loads so the suspension might be on the firmer side causing the bouncy feel. I have heard online reviews mention of a bouncy ride at low speeds for the Nexon too.

The CSUVs are similar in build to the hatchbacks just with higher GC and suspension capacity. They share similar engines and almost similar payloads. For example the Nexon's payload is 410kg, Altroz is 425kg

IMHO large hatchbacks should be viewed more as sedans without the boot. Hence better speed breaker clearance and lesser length to worry about when parking.
While CSUVs should be seen as taller and wider hatchbacks with higher GC and better equipped to deal with bad roads.

That being said I also agree that CSUV/MSUVs have decimated hatchback and sedan sales because :
- of the state of our roads, need for GC
- preference for "road presence/bullish looks" aka the SUV wave

But some of us have and will remain and hopefully as the roads get better the sales will pick up again. They already have quite a bit with the i20 and the Altroz.

Would be interesting to see the buyer's demographics on the sales as well, mainly the age group.

Last edited by shancz : 30th January 2021 at 15:37. Reason: added cs line
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 15:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

The 'Large' Hatchback will survive the CSUV onslaught.
The simple reason is that, they are affordable.
There is a clearly a 1-2 lakh rupee difference between a similarly loaded Hatch & CSUV.

CSUVs, despite their diminutive size, are playing in the pricing space of C1 Sedans, and therefore, the casualty are C1 Sedans.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 17:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The simple reason is that, they are affordable.
There is a clearly a 1-2 lakh rupee difference between a similarly loaded Hatch & CSUV.
The i20 top end costs around 14, that is the same almost as the XUV300, the only advantage would be slightly better dynamics. I think most of the people buying a family car may prefer comfort and safety over cornering speed. If hatchbacks are not proficient in handling corners they offer almost no advantage.

I had been to Serai Bandipur, the approach road was a rocky path. A Hatchback would have to tiptoe it's way thorough. I feel hatchbacks will eventually be brought by single bachelor predominantly and a family buyer who needs a single car and intends to tour would be better off with a CSUV. This can be put to vote would be interesting.
terra85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 18:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The i20 top end costs around 14, that is the same almost as the XUV300, the only advantage would be slightly better dynamics. I think most of the people buying a family car may prefer comfort and safety over cornering speed. If hatchbacks are not proficient in handling corners they offer almost no advantage.

I had been to Serai Bandipur, the approach road was a rocky path. A Hatchback would have to tiptoe it's way thorough. I feel hatchbacks will eventually be brought by single bachelor predominantly and a family buyer who needs a single car and intends to tour would be better off with a CSUV. This can be put to vote would be interesting.
The i20 Asta(O) Diesel costs 13.4 Lakhs On Road Bangalore.
The XUV W8(O) Diesel costs 14.7 Lakhs On Road Bangalore
The Nexon XZ+(O) DT Diesel costs an even more eye watering 15.25 Lakhs.

Comparing the Petrol Top End variants is not a like for like comparison, as the Top End i20 Turbo Petrol is a Dual Clutch Auto, whereas the XUV300 Petrol Top Variant is the same money, but it has a Manual Transmission!

Coming to ground clearance etc., there is no denying the advantage offered by the CSUVs.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 08:06   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would expect that the sub-4m SUVs will eventually kill off the large hatchbacks.
No man. Primary reason = the hatchbacks are usually cheaper. Crossovers are profit machines for car manufacturers.

Choosing between the two is tricky & entirely depends on the car, not the body style. I would pick an Altroz over the Nexon, an i20 over the Venue, but I'd get the EcoSport over a Figo and a Kia Sonet over pretty much any premium hatchback. I love the Sonet!
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 08:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Large Hatchbacks vs Compact SUVs

The equation has changed only because of Magnite/Kiger, which are priced below i20/Baleno/Jazz. Else the hatchback are always cheaper than sub 4-M SUV. If the future CSUV will be priced similar to Kiger/Magnite, then definitely prices of larger hatchback have to come down or should offer more value(more features, better engine, safety etc.). Else they will end up with similar fate as Sedans which are dying breed.
PrideRed is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 16:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is a pretty tricky situation. Prices do overlap.

As far as engineering goes, I don't see anything besides raised ground clearance and overall body height. The rest is all the same. It is indeed a perfect money making proposition for manufacturers while customers get a 'SUV'.

I guess just like how the sedan segment is now mainly dominated by the <4m compact sedans, these compact SUV's will overlap into the premium hatchback segment. Give the base variant of these compact SUV's a sunroof and a large touchscreen, most customers wont give the premium hatchbacks a second glance.

With the overall trend and focus shifting onto SUV style body form, I don't see too many premium hatchbacks coming into our market either.

Last edited by TrackDay : 31st January 2021 at 16:24.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 21:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

I feel the SUV trend will eventually take over all segments and all cars will end up having SUV form factor.

From S-presso/kwid to respective SUVs from Jaguar/lamborghini/Austin Martin, trend seem to be shifting towards SUVs.

What happened to sedans seems like future of hatch segment ( as well as luxury brands).

Hatch/sedan are more aerodynamic due to their low slung design and hence offer better handling and fuel efficiency. Personally, current breed of pseudo SUV are just glorified hatchbacks with high ground clearance and stretched out interior space.
Old 1st February 2021, 08:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No man. Primary reason = the hatchbacks are usually cheaper.
SUVs like the S-presso and Kwid Climber are also doing extremely well. I'm sure they are upping the heat for the small hatchbacks too.
The main advantage of these SUVs - S press, Kwid, KUV 100, Nexon, Venue, eco sport, etc. especially in water logged Bangalore in the rains is the perceived ground clearance.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks