Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2021, 16:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Which Indian cars have the best resale value?

I feel that any car popular in taxi segment has a decent resale value. Resale depends on the color too. A white indica, tata bolt , silver or white etios, etios liva usually sells for a decent price. It used to be a hot cake among taxi drivers.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 16:30   #32

Used car prices vary a lot across India. In some cities like Delhi the car prices are comparatively low. On the othet hand in some places like kerala the prices are exorbitant. Used innovas are going for prices almost close to their list price when new. Even used vag card are expensive here compared to other cities.

Still I would say toyota cars and most maruti models hold their value well
Old 10th February 2021, 16:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

There is no debate that certain products hold the crown for Resale value in India.

From Toyota the Innova and Fortuner twins. Sky High resale value in Kerala
From Maruti Suzuki mainly the Swift, Alto & Wagon R. Other Suzuki products too have decent resale value, but these 3 are notorious.
Old 10th February 2021, 17:29   #34
BHPian

2 cars with amazing resale value (from personal experience)
  1. Toyota Innova (diesel)
  2. Maruti Suzuki Alto K10

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th February 2021 at 22:03. Reason: Innnova > Innova
Old 10th February 2021, 18:10   #35
BHPian

Innova is the resale king. After a few years, it even starts appreciating in value thanks to the price hikes by Toyota.
k10_nag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 18:50   #36
BHPian

I would like to add that there's a regional preference component as well which gets thrown into the equation.

Kerala is Toyota bastion. NCR is large SUV haven. You will find more Isuzus in AP and TN than anywhere else in the country. Andaman islands is Ford territory. Coimbatore and Cochin for tasteful mods. Delhi for forceful mods. Audi/Mercedes are the preferred luxury marque down south with more senior customers going for these, while NCR and Mumbai you will find younger customers in luxury cars and BMW finds lots of takers here.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 20:44   #37
BHPian

Toyota's case seems to be valid for their high end cars too.
I purchased a MY '15 LC200 for 80lacs in 2018. Recently had a call from my dealer for 85 big ones.
Apparently well maintained LCs are very rare in the used car market, and whatever models are available get sold in the owner's circle only.
mufeez1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 07:11   #38
BHPian

I think we can all agree that Honda and Toyota cars hold their value fairly well!

When you’re looking for a pre-owned the primary factor is that the car should be reliable which is the reason Innova, Bolero, City etc. have good resale. Other than that, rarity of a car can also fetch good resale value.
My list:
1. Honda City
2. Mahindra Thar
3. Toyota Innova
4. Hyundai Creta
5. Hyundai i20
6. Abarth Punto
7. Polo GT
8. Maruti Gypsy
9. Renault Duster
10. Toyota Fortuner
Old 11th February 2021, 07:36   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree fully on how well the Innova holds its value. A friend has a 12 year old, 200000 km (that is not a typo) run piece for which he will get more than 50% of what he paid for it.

Au contraire most of my cars have not held value well - I typically have got 20-30% of the original price after 7 odd years, and may end up with an even lower percentage of original price when I sell my Vento.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 11:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

In general, many Maruti cars hold good resale value. Cars like Swift, Dzire, Ertiga, Wagon R gets very good resale value. One gets surprised by seeing resale value of cars like Swift, Dzire. Both these cars command really good resale value. In other brands, some of Hyundai cars also gets better resale value, Honda city gets good resale as well. Innova also has great resale value in the market.

If I am not mistaken, popular Mahindra cars like Bolero, Scorpio also gets very good resale value. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 15th February 2021, 21:22   #41
BHPian

IMO, the age of the car at the time of sale is also another dimension to consider apart from the make/model. For example, a 1-2 year old Innova Crysta will still see a bad resale than a 4-5 year old Honda Jazz (in terms of expected vs. actual depreciation hit).

One typically gets the best bang for the buck after using the car for a certain period of years, typically at least 6-8 years. Just my 2 cents
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 21:30   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

At two extremes.
Innova and 800.

Innova for various factors, but mostly the Toyota tax, no proper rivals and the fact that new car prices keep climbing.
800 for it's obvious attributes plus the fact it really can't go lower. There are still takers for it hence it howers around ₹40-60k.

Depends on the utility and age of the model.

Under five years old - will closely mirror the best selling charts and other attributes like ease of maintenance and desirability. The price of the same model brand new will also play an important role.

5-15 years old - Bastion of the Japanese. Cheap Marutis, Toyota and Honda to be specific. Ofcourse, bigger petrol sedans take a big hit no matter what, but there will still be takers for them.

15+ years old - Desirability. What we call in Malayalam as 'moha vila' - price of desire.
BoF Japanese vehicles will still have utility attached to it, but for most of the other vehicles it is desirability. If a vehicle commands higher than usual price, it is a seller's market.

At the end of the lockdown period found a fair bit of how used car prices work.
We were in a situation of either sell one of our cars or sell both and buy a used one.
The Etios was an average seller and the production was stopped. Still our '16 Etios D commanded more than 70% of its OTR price. Almost like a mini-Qualis scenario but I fear it had more to do with the Kerala market and also cabbie's demands.
Our 11 years old F10D WagonR surprised us more. We were expecting a little over ₹1 lakh and by our own reckoning the car needed ~₹30k of work done to be in mint condition Imagine our surprise when we found a buyer for ₹1.70 lakhs!!!
Side effect of covid-19, where people who used public transport or motorcycles started buying sub 2 lakhs used cars

Parallelly we also looked at used diesels to buy.
Since Maruti had stopped diesel models, the used prices of Brezzas and Ertigas had skyrocketed.
Low run below 5 years old diesel Swifts were nowhere to be found.

Then we have the scenario where some cars start to be appreciated after 15-20 years. We could categorise most of our youngtimers, classics and imports under this.
But the earliest example and most popular one is the Contessa.
Favourite sour grape story of mine, I even started my TeamBHP visits thanks to me looking for Contessas. Used to see members quoting ₹30-60k for them. (This was the late 2000s).
Once I got my DL and actively started looking at buying one the prices started to shift to a lakh plus.
After a brief hiatus I again looked at buying one in the mid 2010s. By that time the cheapest ones on sale were asking ₹2 lakhs plus. Ofcourse there are barn finds and youngsters bringing back RIP cars to life, but I was looking at good condition models.
Heck, I was flamed on FB by a bunch of car collectors for suggesting a guy not to buy a Contessa for ₹5+ lakhs and to look at a W123/124 instead.

So yeah. Demand, lack of alternatives in the market and price tag of the current model determine resale value.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 07:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer_ts View Post
From my personal experience, it seems that you should never buy an EcoSport used because it holds its value so well that it's better to buy it brand new. I was curious if there are other cars like that.
I did get a used black Ecosport S TDCI. July 2018 model in June 2020. Vehicle had done 12500 kms. In pristine condition. Paid 9.65L. Current OTR price for S TDCI is 14+ L in Pune. Seems I got lucky and a great deal ?

Last edited by 07CR : 16th February 2021 at 07:16.
Old 14th October 2021, 17:32   #44
BHPian

[Reviving relatively old thread]
I'm not looking for a car upgrade immediately, but mostly will do so in a year probably. Just to keep a tab, I keep browsing the T-BHP classifieds and other websites for a pre-owned cars.

One thing that clicked me is that the Honda City's are usually cheaper (by a significant margin, some times) than let's say Hyundai Verna, etc from same manufacturing year or mileage.

As per my knowledge, the Honda City is a fairly reliable and successful car. Then what could be the reason they're cheaper than the likes?
Old 14th July 2023, 13:10   #45
BHPian

Interesting!

I landed upon this thread searching for re-sale values of cars / brands.

I went for a test drive at Skoda show room and asked them to evaluate the my existing Honda BR-V iDTEC 1.5L S MT in White. They quoted me a meager 3 lacs.

Body condition is how it would be after a use of 7 years and a run of 1.2 lac km. There have been 3 accidental repair claims - once for front left door, once for rear right door plus rear bumper and once for front bumper. No repairs yet in engine. Body repairs have been done at Honda Service Stations only. I have purchased an AMC every year so all services too have been done by Honda Service Stations.

Do you think I should be getting more than 3 lac for the exchange? How much?

For reference, I am from Rajkot, Gujarat. The average re-sale prices here are higher than Mumbai and Delhi but lower than Kerala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks