Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you opt for a CNG vehicle due to rising fuel costs?
Yes 88 46.56%
No 101 53.44%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2022, 14:51   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The future of CNG in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
CNG is not at almost Rs. 80 per kg. This eliminates the cost advantage of the fuel almost entirely. The worst affected would be the public transport drivers and owners. It costs Rs. 6 to run a cng car for 1 km if you include the added maintenance.
Natural gas prices are guaranteed to rise. The Ukraine crisis has simply exasperated the issue and Europe will continue to buy up bulk CNG supplies from Qatar and US at a premium.

In the last one year Natural gas prices have gone up by 152% while Crude oil on the other hand has only seen a 60% increase in the similar period. In the last month alone Natural gas prices have gone up by 40%!

Indian CNG supplies are slightly insulated because I think price revisions only happen on a quarterly basis. It is going up, it's only a matter of when?

The issue is Natural gas demand is seeing a sharp rise as more developed countries are using it to replace coal to generate electricity. On the other hand supply has sharly fallen due to decreasing supplies from Russia as well as sanctions being applied.

So the question is, what happens when CNG loses it's price advantage over petrol/diesel? Does it make sense anymore?

The future of CNG in India-1-month-cng-2.png

The future of CNG in India-1-month-cng.png
shortbread is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 21:56   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Is it still wise to get a CNG car in the current scenario?
I'm driving a CNG converted kizashi for the last 2 years (installed just before corona 1st wave in March). By my simple calculation, the average on petrol is 10 (Rs. 10.5/km), where as on CNG is 20 (Rs. 3.5/km). I drive with a light foot so that helps alot. Just multiply your petrol average by 2. That'll be your CNG average (again light footed driving)

Depending upon your running you can calculate your expenses on both the fuels and take a call. Prices of both will increase only in the future.
TB16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 13:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Price gap between CNG and petrol, diesel narrows

Price gap between CNG and petrol, diesel narrows

Quote:

For the first time in decades, the price differential between petrol, diesel and compressed natural gas (CNG) has narrowed thanks to the ₹21-25 per kg spurt in prices the city gas distribution (CGD) companies have taken in the last six months. In comparison, petrol and diesel prices have gone up by ₹10 per litre.

CNG has often prided itself to be the cheaper and cleaner alternative to petrol and diesel with the difference between CNG per kg and petrol per litre normally being in the range of ₹30-40, at times ₹50-60 considering state taxes. CNG price in Delhi now is ₹71.61/kg and in Mumbai it is ₹72/kg and in Gujarat it is ₹79.56/kg. Petrol in Delhi now costs ₹105.41 per litre, while diesel rate is ₹96.67 a litre.

According to analysts, by October 2022, when domestic gas prices will be revised again, this difference may go down further as gas prices will increase. For this fiscal, analysts said, there could be a room of another ₹12 per kg price increase in CNG, which may impact sales volume.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...9.cms?from=mdr
shortbread is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 15:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

CNG prices hiked further!

CNG price hiked by Rs 2 per kg in Delhi-NCR
Quote:
The price of CNG in the national capital has been hiked by Rs 2 per kg, the 12th increase in rates in just over two months.

CNG in the national capital territory of Delhi now costs Rs 73.61 per kg, up from Rs 71.61 per kg, according to the information posted on the website of Indraprastha Gas. This is the 12th increase in price since March 7.

In all, the CNG price has risen by Rs 17.6 per kg during this period. This includes a Rs 7.50 per kg hike in the month of April alone. Prices rose by Rs 8.74 per kg in the last three months of 2021, and from January there was a steady increase of about 50 paise a kg almost every week.

However, the rates of gas piped to household kitchens, called piped natural gas (PNG), remain unchanged at Rs 45.86 per scm.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/91571132.cms
shortbread is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 21:01   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

CNG takes centre stage as EV gets pricier.

With the recent hike in the prices of raw materials and turbulence in the crude oil market, stakeholders in the auto industry have started pitching for Natural Gas Vehicles (NGV) as an alternate fuel option.

Almost 13 OEMs are offering CNG variants in passenger, commercial and goods vehicles segments.

The future of CNG in India-1.jpg

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  73.8 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th May 2022 at 21:03.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 17:11   #66
BHPian

Strangely enough, I do not understand why the hike in the cost of CNG is so massive every time. Ever since I have converted my Grand i10, I have noticed 4 hikes, the cheapest of which was by INR 4 a Kilo.

Now with a difference of around INR 30 in petrol and CNG costs per unit, I surely have started wondering to reverse my decision of going to CNG.

Sure, CNG will offer me a better number for every Kilo burnt, releasing less toxic gas as well but considering the not too big difference between the costs now, I would rather have my boot space back. Additionally, a week in the line of the petrol pump sounds much better than the CNG line every 2 days.
Mechb63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 23:25   #67
BHPian

CNG to be dearer by Rs 6 to In Mumbai to Rs 86 effective today, moving closer towards Diesel & Petrol prices.

Source: https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...457631985.html

I now think it makes very little sense for new car buyers to purchase CNG cars for personal use.
pankajn1702 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:19   #68
BHPian

Interesting news: "ministry has notified retrofitment of CNG and LPG kit on BS (Bharat Stage)-VI gasoline vehicles and replacement of diesel engines with CNG/LPG engines in case of BS-VI vehicles, less than 3.5 tonnes"

Is retrofitting of diesel engines with CNG economically feasible (suppose someone wants to retain their 10yr old diesel cars in NCR etc.)?

https://www.carandbike.com/news/bs6-...g-kits-3201563
Old 30th November 2022, 20:40   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

The CNG pump network looks to be expanding. Seeing a new bunk coming up on the ring road in JP Nagar 6th phase, right opposite to Sindhoora Convention centre.

Take note, CNG users who use this road. It should be up in a month or so, looking at the current state of installation.
Old 30th November 2022, 22:34   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasir88 View Post
Is retrofitting of diesel engines with CNG economically feasible (suppose someone wants to retain their 10yr old diesel cars in NCR etc.)?

https://www.carandbike.com/news/bs6-...g-kits-3201563
As far as I know, Diesel engines cannot be retrofitted with CNG. Only petrol engines can support CNG.
bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 01:09   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

ref to post 69 above:

The new CNG bunk on Ring road in JP Nagar 6th phase is operational. This is right opposite to the Sindhoora convention hall, and not too out of the way for folks who pass through Sarakki signal.

The future of CNG in India-cng.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/LoB2uNpcVFASnaSw5
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 08:38   #72
BHPian

Multiple videos have surfaced on youtube where the CNG installation dealers are claiming that BS6 approvals for some cars have been obtained. Does anybody have any idea on this?

I'm attaching one such video.
TB16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 08:42   #73
Senior - BHPian

I have been wondering, why can't there be a solution where one can refill CNG at home?

I googled, it did come up with products like these:

If we can have PNG pipelines, why not CNG?

Or like the video above, a tank based solution.

Just like the milkman comes daily, a CNG company can come and refill the tank at any time of the day.

For me, there were two major irritants in a CNG car.

One, no boot space, which Tata has solved with their Altroz and to be launched later, Punch CNG.

Two, waiting in line at a CNG pump.

If a home based solution is available, the second biggest irritant is gone.

Obviously, I do not know the costs involved. But, I really hope some OEM takes a hard look at such a solution.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 21st April 2023 at 08:43.
Old 23rd April 2023, 13:30   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I have been wondering, why can't there be a solution where one can refill CNG at home?
A few reasons I could think of:

1. If planning to fill using the home PNG connection, the piped gas connection we get for home use is subsidized while auto fuel is not. In fact, price is different for a commercial piped connection vs home pipe connection.

2. There is an 'smell' additive in the gas to detect leaks - very useful in household use environment, which is supposedly corrosive. Remember a lot of people used to illegally use the red coloured home use gas cylinders in cars and damaging the engines?

3. Risk - CNG, if I'm correct, is at about 200+ bar. This is a quite high & needs to be handled carefully (unless one wants to blow up the surrounding!). Fuel pumps have to follow a higher protocol of safety and routine checks.

4. Also, I'm sure the piped gas is at a much lower pressure than 200 bar what cars need.

5. Will definitely not be cost effective with all of these factors.
Old 23rd April 2023, 13:52   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

One more CNG bunk coming up on Kanakapura road, a litle before Nandi Toyota.

Approx google location: https://goo.gl/maps/cunvs932s6Xt6v7W7

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks