Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2021, 10:09   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used Luxury Cars might be cheap to buy, but they are expensive to maintain! Any solutions?

The authorised service centers for luxury is always going to be expensive. Recently saw a quote for front suspension strut replacement where trial run labour of 3000 plus gst is charged for test drive post replacement. One thing with these cars, OE parts and OE replacement parts are available from multiple sources. Can save a large part of the labour cost and on part costs if OE replacement parts are opted for. I know a couple of BMW X1 customers extremely happy with the costs being lower than the authorised service center and car running reliably as expected.

Key point to note is taking it to a competitive workshop who can source parts and know the work.
nkrishnap is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 20:13   #32
BHPian

Re: Used Luxury Cars might be cheap to buy, but they are expensive to maintain! Any solutions?

While I agree with all the valid points in the posts above, I do recommend we take them with a pinch of salt when it comes to something from the Japanese marquees. Surely there is a considerable difference in the facts and figures favouring the japs, and one wouldn't really need to outright refute a second hand luxury purchase from Lexus, Toyota or Honda.
Old 25th May 2021, 12:11   #33
BHPian

@lemedico raised an important point,

Can members with experience in luxury purchases from Lexus, Toyota and Honda share their running costs?

I have heard high praises of low cost of running for the Japanese brands

Last edited by Ashutosh : 25th May 2021 at 12:13.
Ashutosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 12:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post

Can members with experience in luxury purchases from Lexus, Toyota and Honda share their running costs?

For Toyota, the regular service costs of say Fortuner remains low even after clocking a lac or two. A regular 10K service can cost you 7.5-11K depending on what you opt for. Costs of other regular replaceable items(pads,filters etc.) are in line with a 15L rupee car. However parts like Headlight, fog lamps, ORVM etc. can be outrageously expensive. For Lexus, service costs are 2 times of Toyota, yet lower than Germans(may be half). Since its a CBU, headlights or any other electronic part can be super expensive.
PrideRed is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 14:43   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hondas are pretty expensive to maintain in the long run. There is a clear difference in quality: you have the City, Jazz/WRV and Amaze with are built to cost with poor part and build quality, about the same as Maruti. Problem is that Honda charges full premium for these low quality parts which have poor to average life. My Gen4 City has done 150k km and I am on my third clutch and fourth set of suspensions. Labour charges are expensive and the dealerships are notorious for pushing useless add ons. Long term ownership experience isn’t great.

Their other cars: Civic, Accrod, CRV and the old Gen1 Jazz, these are the ones built to international standards and that shows in their build quality and part longevity. But most of the cars you’ll find in the pre owned market will be old, 7-10 years, and would have already seen a fair amount of mileage. Sourcing original factory spec cars for these cars is a challenge.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 17:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
My Gen4 City has done 150k km and I am on my third clutch and fourth set of suspensions.
This is unbelievable.
Clutch - Is it chauffer driven?
Suspension - Does it see rough roads every time?
Old 25th May 2021, 18:22   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
This is unbelievable.
Clutch - Is it chauffer driven?
Suspension - Does it see rough roads every time?
Mostly self driven. Regular use in Delhi-NCR plus out station trips. Suspensions cry for replacement every 30-40k km. Ride quality becomes pathetic. Clutch sets have lasted about 70000km each. First change at 70k, second at 145k. This time I’ve gone for an aftermarket clutch at the recommendation of my trusted FNG, along with flywheel repair. Far cheaper than what the showroom people were quoting.

For a direct comparison, my 2012 Gen1 Jazz, which back then used to come as CKD kits from Thailand. Usage is the same. The original clutch and suspension lasted a lakh km for both. Replacements from the showroom have the same life as those of the City.

Basically, there is no point paying exorbitant Honda prices for their spares when they are of such poor quality. This is the summary of my 158k km ownership of City and 153k km ownership of Jazz.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 00:21   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

While we don't have experience with Jap brands barring an Accord in 2002, and some through friends & family; the difference is due to the fact that they're simpler built : lesser gizmos to go wrong - no fancy adjustable / air suspension, no turbo petrols, no DSGs, higher profile tyres and softer suspensions that can take more abuse.
Due to this, they have fewer breakdowns and thus cost to maintain is cheaper.

If you go to an independent mechanic, there won't be a significant difference for routine wear & tear parts + servicing between Japs & Germans.
Many non-routine parts will still be on the higher side compared to similarly priced new Japs, and some parts could be equally priced as the Germans - depending on brand and specifications : I would expect the Lexus ES headlight / alloys to cost similar to what BMW / Audi would charge but the Camry's would be significantly cheaper. Similarly, a 2010 Accord with simple halogen headlights would be much cheaper to fix than the projector headlamps of a similarly priced 2005 E Class.

Either ways, we've picked up a pre-owned ES - time will tell how it fares compared to the Germans.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 09:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Either ways, we've picked up a pre-owned ES - time will tell how it fares compared to the Germans.
It would be very interesting to know this experience. Please do create a thread when possible and share your journey with the ES.
Ashutosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:59   #40
BHPian

How about the cost of maintaining these - Accord's, CRV's, Camry's, Fortuner's, Endeavour's, Prado, LC200, etc? Maybe experts here can throw light on the same. Is it really worth buying a pre-worshipped/pre-owned Camry/Fortuner/Prado/LC200?
Old 4th August 2021, 21:10   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
How about the cost of maintaining these - Accord's, CRV's, Camry's, Fortuner's, Endeavour's, Prado, LC200, etc? Maybe experts here can throw light on the same. Is it really worth buying a pre-worshipped/pre-owned Camry/Fortuner/Prado/LC200?
I have a 7 year old Fortuner and regular services still don’t go above 10k. Major services do cross the 10k mark a few times like if brake pads, HID bulbs, tyres or some other components need replacement. My car is still on the original clutch set, will see the cost of the service when it packs up. I believe the Endeavour’s service cost are also very similar, owners can give a better idea on that.

So atleast in the case of the Fortuner/Camry I can vouch on the lower service costs and they are worth considering in the pre-owned market.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 22:30   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Fortuner's, Endeavour's, Prado, LC200, etc? Maybe experts here can throw light on the same. Is it really worth buying a pre-worshipped/pre-owned Camry/Fortuner/Prado/LC200?
It's not just about the cost of maintaining but also the number of dealers and most importantly, how close they are to you. Taking your vehicles even between Gurgaon to Delhi can be a pain as I recently found with MB which doesn't have a workshop in Gurgaon

Toyota's are the cheapest to maintain, their most expensive vehicle, LC-200, my Yearly service bill has never gone beyond Rs 20,000. Enclosed is the details for the last 3 Years. The only expense on the part spent other than regular service in last 3 years, was the one of the TPMS that my tyre guy damaged while changing the tyres, around Rs 5500 or so.

Used Luxury Cars might be cheap to buy, but they are expensive to maintain! Any solutions?-screenshot-20210804-10.29.33-pm.png

Endeavour & Fortuner are also cheap but I will say, Fortuner will be cheaper over Ford.

In luxury cars, I find BMW cheapest, easiest and most reliable. Company officials also are highly supportive and try their best to accommodate issues if not sorted at the dealership level.

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th August 2021 at 22:45.
Turbanator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 11:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

In luxury cars, I find BMW cheapest, easiest and most reliable. Company officials also are highly supportive and try their best to accommodate issues if not sorted at the dealership level.
As you said, it may be more expensive to maintain a Merc/Audi since BMW offers CBS, which is helping to control the cost to some extent. But, since my running is only 5600 km/year, I guess the next few years would be more expensive as I am yet to replace my tyres, battery and brake pads.

Here's the cost of maintenance per km for my 3 Series:

Make: BMW 320d F30 LCI
Regn: 31/3/17
Age on 12/11/23 : 2417/365 days = 6.62 yrs
Kms covered: 37019
Vehicle maintenance expenses (VME) (Service, Spares, Extended warranty, BSI/BRI expenses, etc) : Rs.293053/- = Rs.7.92 per km or Rs.44255/- per year.

Fuel Expenses (FE): Rs.177281/- = 4.79 per km

PS: VME includes 2 yr extd warranty and excludes only insurance cost.

I posted the above cost in the 320d group on Nov 12 and on Nov 14th, I damaged my front right headlight while taking the car out from a mall parking lot. Even though only the outer glass is broken I have to replace the entire headlight assembly, which is going to cost me around Rs.2.75L. See how BMW makes money. They don't offer just the outer glass as replacement.

Fortunately, since I have a zero-dep policy I will get 100% reimbursement other than a compulsory deductible for Rs.2k. However, I will lose my 50% NCB discount of Rs.7k when I renew next year. If I had NCB protection, I would have saved this too, but wasn't aware of this add-on. So, anyone who has NCB should definitely take this add-on.

I read somewhere that insurance companies don't offer zero dep for older cars. At what age do they stop offering zero-dep?

Last edited by Kelly66 : 16th November 2023 at 11:38.
Old 16th November 2023, 11:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I know a couple of BMW X1 customers extremely happy with the costs being lower than the authorised service center and car running reliably as expected.

Key point to note is taking it to a competitive workshop who can source parts and know the work.
Hi, would it be possible for you to you check with your BMW X1 friends and let me know the contacts of the local FNG in Bangalore?
Old 16th November 2023, 14:02   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
Hi, would it be possible for you to you check with your BMW X1 friends and let me know the contacts of the local FNG in Bangalore?
I use Aeon Motor Works for my Mini. Electronic City. Veerasandra Industial Estate.
I am happy with their service as I ve written elsewhere. I get the attention my car needs and the works people are knowledgeable and competent.
If you like you can call Aniruddh the owner and take my reference and investigate for yourself. +91 99457 18181
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks