Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 19:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain removed from website

The E-Class All-Terrain has been removed from Mercedes-Benz' Indian website. The E-Class All-Terrain was an estate that used to compete with the Volvo V90 Cross Country.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain removed from website-e-1.jpg

The vehicle got a rugged body kit to give it a crossover appeal. Unfortunately, it hardly found buyers as estates are not very popular in India.

The E-Class All-Terrain was powered by a BS-VI compliant 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 192 BHP and 400 Nm. The engine was mated to a 9-speed automatic transmission and power was sent to all four wheels via the 4MATIC all-wheel drive system. It had multiple driving modes including an All-Terrain transmission mode with off-road settings. The All-Terrain version came equipped with air-suspension which could raise the car's ride height by 35 mm.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain removed from website-e-2.jpg

Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain removed from website-e-3.jpg

Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain removed from website-e-4.jpg
ChiragM is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 20:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain removed from website

I loved station wagons and was disappointed the time when Volvo removed the V90 CC from their website, but this news has completely devastated me! Why? Because it was just there yesterday when I went to check out the 2021 E-class sedan! I saw the swanky new E “limousine” and scrolled down the page where I found pictures of the neat red wagon. Those very pictures you posted Chirag, I tell you. I thought to myself for a while then, “This is the E-class India should have been buying.” When I closed that tab, little did I know that was the last time I’d see the E-Class All-Terrain on the website. 100% True Story.

This was the last station wagon Indians could get, I believe. Why didn’t all these wagons make it in India? Fine, the Volvo V90 CC and the Skoda Octavia Combi flopped. But Mercedes? It is a household term for luxury cars. Everyone wants to own the three-pointed-star. If anything, it is their fault for not advertising the E-Class All-terrain enough. An aggressive pricing strategy would have helped - Indians would have realised they can get a bigger car for a lot less than its sedan version. Who wouldn’t love all the extra space, or the ground clearance to make it a go-anywhere car? A good marketing campaign could have changed the perception of Indians, but unfortunately there was none.

Anyway, I have a question —

◘ When a brand removes a car from their website, does it mean it is discontinued/production stopped? Or is it sold out?
EightSix is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 20:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post

◘ When a brand removes a car from their website, does it mean it is discontinued/production stopped? Or is it sold out?
Usually If it's discontinued or sold out. If production ends , it's usually there on the website until it's sold out.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 22:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When a brand removes a car from their website, does it mean it is discontinued/production stopped? Or is it sold out?
Removing the car from the website means the car has been discontinued.

Sold out usually means car stays on the website eg: The T-Roc was sold out but still stayed on the VW website and is now back for orders.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 08:36   #5
BHPian

The lesson from these is that to lure Indians into buying estates (and pickups as well) companies need to provide:

- Extremely attractive prices

Basically forcing the domestic car buyer.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 08:52   #6
BHPian

I wish there was a mass market Estate car. These luxo barges are way out of anyone's budget. A person who looks for practicality buys an estate. Not a rich person who has enough money to spend on two or three practical cars and this thing.

Why can't manufacturers understand this

Cheers
OctYFAN
OctYFAN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 09:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctYFAN View Post
I wish there was a mass market Estate car. A person who looks for practicality buys an estate.
India already has them as Datsun Go Plus, Renault Triber and the various 5+2 seater Cars/MPVs with the versatility to choose between extra seating or extra luggage hauling.

Noone in India wants to buy a Station Wagon, but give them the logic that it is a 5+2 seater with more luggage space than your Hatchback or Premium Hatchback, and they understand that yes this body style is better.

I use my Triber as a Station Wagon only, with the rear seats removed most of the time and using that big boot space for carrying whatever I need to.

Name:  Screenshot_20210318092856.png
Views: 925
Size:  502.4 KB
AdityaDeane is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post

India already has them as Datsun Go Plus, Renault Triber and the various 5+2 seater Cars/MPVs with the versatility to choose between extra seating or extra luggage hauling.

Attachment 2133868
Well I don't think the Go Plus can be considered even as a MPV, it sucks so badly. And the Triber, well though you could 'technically' consider it a station wagon, it still has the rear seats right? A station wagon is a 5-seater with a huge boot and 2 box design. The Triber is a 8-seater. So I don't know. But there is no proper wagon like the Octavia Combi of the 2000s. Now would be the perfect time to bring it back.

Maybe a Rapid Combi

Cheers
OctYFAN
OctYFAN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctYFAN View Post
A station wagon is a 5-seater with a huge boot and 2 box design. The Triber is a 8-seater. So I don't know. But there is no proper wagon like the Octavia Combi of the 2000s.
The American Heritage Dictionary defines a station wagon as "an automobile with one or more rows of folding or removable seats behind the driver and no luggage compartment but an area behind the seats into which suitcases, parcels, etc., can be loaded through a tailgate. (Wikipedia)

It need not be a 5 seater.

Quote:
Now would be the perfect time to bring it back.
Agreed. Somebody needs to introduce a new station wagon in India and change the way Indians perceive station wagons. You would agree that previous station wagons weren’t marketed enough.

Last edited by EightSix : 18th March 2021 at 11:08.
EightSix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:

The American Heritage Dictionary defines a station wagon as "an automobile with one or more rows of folding or removable seats behind the driver and no luggage compartment but an area behind the seats into which suitcases, parcels, etc., can be loaded through a tailgate. (Wikipedia)

It need not be a 5 seater.
I am not into English as much as you are

But yes a Rapid Combi could be really great. Even the Octavia is a bit pricier but a Rapid Combi would be more a more mass market car. Maybe someone could tweet Zac Hollis about this.

Quote:

You would agree that...
I definitely would. The Octy was not marketed at all. Not even as much as it's sedan sibling. The previous cars were either custom jobs or the Fiat station wagon which suffered the same fate.

Cheers
OctYFAN

Last edited by OctYFAN : 18th March 2021 at 11:14.
OctYFAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
The E-Class All-Terrain has been removed from Mercedes-Benz' Indian website. The E-Class All-Terrain was an estate that used to compete with the Volvo V90 Cross Country.
I will be honest. Until I read this post, I was not aware that this 'Estate' variant was sold currently in India by Mercedes as I have not seen one so far.
Quote:
This was the last station wagon Indians could get, I believe.
I dont know if the Panamera qualifies, but it does look like a station wagon which can be used by everyone in the family.
Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain removed from website-wagon.png
TrackDay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 15:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
I will be honest. Until I read this post, I was not aware that this 'Estate' variant was sold currently in India by Mercedes as I have not seen one so far.

I dont know if the Panamera qualifies, but it does look like a station wagon which can be used by everyone in the family.
Over the years Estate and Shooting Brake styles have been evolved and depending on the countries some cars are considered as estate or shooting brake.
As far as I see Panamera comes under Shooting brake, an estate with sloppy coup like roof . Even GTC4 Lusso comes under estate/ Shooting brake.
Personally I love estates, but not a fan of this one. Its a dying breed, especially with the growing demand of SUV's.
Adam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:23   #13
BHPian

This category has always failed to take off in our country and will continue to do with how the 'shape' of the vehicle is a detriment to the bulk of prospective buyers so much so its never even in the consideration list, despite being the most practical option for most families.

Coming from an experience of having driven the Tata Estate extensively (inspired by the legendary T Class) in different engine avatars (NA, TCIC & a Petrol) and understanding its practicality despite its reliability limitations this body design does still evoke feel when one gets to spots the odd - Tata Estate, Baleno Altura, Palio Weekend/Adventure, Octavia Combi, V90 Cross, Audi Avant across our city. The E Class All Terrain remains a super elusive spot

As a current owner of an F48 M Sport X Drive since 2017 it was the closest to this body style one could get while shopping for a practical but still fun to drive 5 seater with adequate boot space. But marketing it as crossover ensures it does not suffer the stigma in our country. BMW may never dare to actually launch their wagon lineup in our country.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th March 2021 at 13:18. Reason: Extra smiley
milin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:48   #14
BHPian

OMG, speaking frankly I never ever knew that such a beautiful car was on sale in India!

Am a big fan of SW, and yes we had a TATA ESTATE in those days, such a beautiful car that was.

Coming back to the future of S.Wagons in India, I think this is the end of it. Maybe we might get an MG RC-6 which is more of a GT and not a wagon.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain removed from website-baojunrc64.jpg

Or, maybe a TATA ESTATE EV.?
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks