Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2021, 17:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai: 10 lakh Made-in-India SUVs sold!

Hyundai has achieved a new sales milestone. The company has sold over 10 lakh 'Made in India' SUVs across domestic and export markets.

Hyundai: 10 lakh Made-in-India SUVs sold!-indias-no.1-suv-maker.jpg

The Tucson, Santa Fe and Terracan were the first SUVs that Hyundai offered in India. In 2015, the carmaker launched the Creta. Over the years, it has been Hyundai's best selling model, recording cumulative sales of over 5.9 lakh units in the domestic market and over 2.2 lakh units in the export market.

Hyundai: 10 lakh Made-in-India SUVs sold!-exponential-growth-hyundai-suv.jpg

In 2019, Hyundai introduced the Venue. Over 1.8 lakh units of this crossover have already been sold in the domestic market.

Hyundai will add another SUV to its Indian portfolio later this year. The Alcazar is a 7-seat version of the Creta that will compete with the Tata Safari and MG Hector Plus.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai: 10 lakh Made-in-India SUVs sold!

Video released by Hyundai - claiming the Hyundai SUV range to be the #1 on Indian roads and off them too!

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai has achieved a new sales milestone. The company has sold over 10 lakh 'Made in India' SUVs across domestic and export markets.

The Tucson, Santa Fe and Terracan were the first SUVs that Hyundai offered in India. In 2015, the carmaker launched the Creta. Over the years, it has been Hyundai's best selling model, recording cumulative sales of over 5.9 lakh units in the domestic market and over 2.2 lakh units in the export market.
Wow. Out of the 1 million effectively 800K are just 1 model - the Creta. Remarkable. Then there is the Venue with a bulk also. I wish more Tucsons sold here. Good car that one overall, would have made a good option if it was actually made here, rather than CKD/CBU routes.

Interesting picture there. Why are the others from the family staying away from the Creta? Is it the looks?
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It's ironical how none of these actually qualifies as an SUV but alright

Hyundai has learnt what the Indian market wants quite well and has catered to it accordingly and I don't really mean this in a good way. They have realised that providing features such as ventilated seats and pano sunroofs apart from building a perceived premium product will lure 9/10 Indians, even if the core engineering and safety along with reliability and QC takes a hit.

As things stand, I have more respect for the Hyundai that existed back in 2012 during the reign of the Fluidic Verna and the i20, than the Hyundai that exists today. With time, Hyundai, just like Maruti Suzuki, eventually realised that air purifiers and ventilated seats are more appealing to the average joe than four wheel disc brakes and 6 airbags (both of which were deleted from the i20 and Verna at one point in time).

To conclude, all I will say is, the more a manufacturer understands the Indian market, the more they cut down on engineering prowess. Both Hyundai and Maruti Suzuki are shining examples for the same and I sincerely hope other manufacturers don't become a part of this bandwagon.

Last edited by vishy76 : 5th April 2021 at 18:43.
vishy76 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 20:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Seeing that graph, and mine being a Jan 1st 2021 production model I wonder if mine was the 10 lakh unit.

Maybe they should gift the 10 lakh number buyer something to make a big deal out of it. Just saying.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 11:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

In 2019, Hyundai introduced the Venue. Over 1.8 lakh units of this crossover have already been sold in the domestic market.
Have to give it to Hyundai for successfully adding the adjective of "mass market" to a SUV category. And this, without the market actually knowing that it isn't

It was Creta which set the charts on fire in 2015 and with Venue following in its footsteps, folks at Hyundai have crossed every milestone with aplomb.
Speaking of milestones, there is a nice page on the Hyundai site which articulates the same:- https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/hyunda...tory-2016-2021

Quote:
Hyundai will add another SUV to its Indian portfolio later this year. The Alcazar is a 7-seat version of the Creta that will compete with the Tata Safari and MG Hector Plus.
And the competition must be already waiting with bated breath, as to what newness the Alcazar brings!

Good days for the customer though, more choices to shop around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks