Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2007, 10:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Auto mags have to always be taken with a spoon of salt. They're basically a readers-targetted, politically acceptable and sponsors-balancing act put together. Not dissimilar to the Lok Ayukta.

this is something thats confusing me between crying or laughing at!!!
and definately annoying! and is nothing less than today's corrupt politics!
well said MAG!
Old 28th April 2007, 11:53   #17
BHPian

Auto Mags are biased. They intend to maintain an image that re-affirms majority. I have not seen any article going indepth to validate public opinions or thrawt the general opinion to create a mark for themselves.

They do basic testing on the tracks and give their opinion which is edited to sound POLITICALLY CORRECT
Old 28th April 2007, 12:51   #18
Team-BHP Support

OD FE figures are such that if they were true, India would be rid of its Oil import issues.
Old 28th April 2007, 13:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I found that very surprising too; one magazine lambasts the Sparks ride quality while the other praises it.

Anyone who buys cars based on commercial reviews / automagazines has lost his marbles.
.. very well said, GTO.

the mags are sort of disconnected from the real world... that's why one should buy based on discussions and recommendations in T-BHP - Real-world info and tips from REAL people!!
Old 28th April 2007, 15:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Well, its been like a couple of weeks since i became a regular here. Didnt know you guys have been 'enjoying' the 'ride' for a while now.
Since you've just become a regular here, check these threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16554

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2182

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4448

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2492

and several individual posts on this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2169

Yes we have been 'enjoying' the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
If the topic seems to be a problem, it can be deleted. No issues
Topic is not a problem as you can see from the number of times it has been discussed before. Just curious as to why an auto journo would start a topic like this - dont tell us you werent aware of this when you were in the business. I'm sure you all read each other's road tests. We know they read the tests, first impressions and long term reviews here - they've even Ctrl+C from here to Ctrl+V in their mags on some occassions. Titles, Puns, observations included.
Old 28th April 2007, 15:35   #21
BHPian

Bunny bieng a journalist you would have know that their is always a yellowness in it and hence the articles/reviews are always skewed towards the guy who advertises most or gives you more money when blackmailed isnt this what happens in all the newspapers.
Old 28th April 2007, 17:18   #22
BHPian

I stopped believing the Auto magazines way back, after all except hard stats like specs, things like interiors, ride, handling, etc is just their opinion and in no way reflects mine or yours.

Regards the fuel efficiency figures you cant really blame them. Cause every magazine's test driver is different in the sense of throttle, brake and gear changes.

Like for example while squeezing out mileage from my Xing I can't do better than 12kmpl. While aZa does more than 16kmpl in similar conditions.

Regards the performance figures. It depends a lot on the surface you are ripping the car. Plus i'm not sure how many drivers test by shifting gears at a point where the car needs it Vs redlining in each gear and then shifting. Also, one cant disregard experience with a car to extract the full potential from it

Eg. was just checking out the new camry V6 stats by Toyota and they state that to get best acceleration you should shift at 5k, even when the redline is at 6.5k.

If we look away from the facts they state, their judgement is also different. Like they think that Getz interiors have an el-cheapo effect. But I(others may or may not agree) find them better than Swifts and I were to decide between these two cars then the Getz would win just cos of the interiors(style, space, build, etc)

Last edited by Fuelled : 28th April 2007 at 17:19. Reason: typo error corrected
Old 28th April 2007, 18:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Did anybody read yesterday's Times drive[mumbai edition],There was a test drive of the logan,guess what the author has to say about the logan,

The tata indigo interiors appears way too cheap in front of the logan.The logan is an asprational car on the grounds of the corolla,fiesta etc however at a much cheaper rate.
Basically the test-drive appeared straight out of the brochure of the mahindra logan.

After sending the journos to those exotic locations,five star hotels,all expenses paid trip etc how would they dare to write anything negative.

Can an auto-mag be sustainable enough if it were not for the goodwill of the auto manufacturers.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 28th April 2007 at 18:34.
Old 28th April 2007, 18:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Can an auto-mag be sustainable enough if it were not for the goodwill of the auto manufacturers.
Don't know about India but internationally yes that's possible. Look at magazines like Car & Driver and EVO. They are known to unbiased magazines who do very detailed techincal evaluation & testing of the cars, including Track & Street time.

Still they sell well & are consistent profit making enterprises. But then again in developed markets there is a lot more advertising revenue plus the journalism standard is also much higher as better magazines try & employ the best in the business. In India I personally know of a few journalists who have no idea about automobiles & can claim to be veterans in the field.
Old 28th April 2007, 18:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hype and Hogwash can only provide an initial push for the vehicle. At the end of the day its long-term success is decided by the public who actually have to shell out their $$ to buy the car. If the buyer doesnt buy the car, it doesnt matter who bought the b***s*** that these guys dole out.
Old 28th April 2007, 21:25   #26
BHPian

Who is'nt biased these days ????. When TV channels are bought over why talk about Auto Mags.

Its money, money, money..., whats so funny... in the big man's world. ( Abbas)

So long....
Old 28th April 2007, 21:35   #27
BHPian

I stopped buying AutoMags the day I found Team-BHP
Old 28th April 2007, 21:39   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

@varun -
think its a rich man's world...

Anyway, if anyone were to read the Logan test in ACI, they would be surprised.
The Logan Diesel got a rating of 9/10, though its interiors are cheap, the car not all that much fun to drive and the price, almost treading on Fiesta/Verna territory.
Old 28th April 2007, 21:48   #29
BHPian

[quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@varun -
think its a rich man's world...
Thanks for the correction. Its been a long time. Anyway, I was quite close..... A rich man is more or less a big man

You are right about the Logan too. I think the review is a glorified one. The launch party must be a lavish one. Droolllllllllllll........

So long....

So long....
Old 29th April 2007, 02:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Just curious as to why an auto journo would start a topic like this - dont tell us you werent aware of this when you were in the business. I'm sure you all read each other's road tests. .
i was an auto journo for around 16 months. once in the business, i got the true feel of this industry , and this one of the reasons why i quit this field.

Going a lil OT, lately, i have found a bunch of new guys, who seems to be passionate in what they wish to do, and ofcourse be truthful. No licking the manufacturers tail or anything like that.. I m happy to be back in business, ie, automobile journalism, with them. I join soon, and our work becomes public in a 3-4 months time. I hope this time i m not disappointed and can openly write about how i feel about a vehicle. And i hope the guys im working with do the same, and bring the real story in front of people, including figs and all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks