Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 23:20   #31
BHPian

Well, just like all Chinese products, the cars looks great. But what matters is reliability, & unfortunately only initial Indian guinea pigs will know about that.

here is the link about cherry cars.

Chery International All Models

Few pics of its basic A1 Hatch
Attached Thumbnails
Chinese Chery may drive into India-cherry-a1.jpg  

Chinese Chery may drive into India-a1.jpg  

Chinese Chery may drive into India-cherry-a12.jpg  

Old 14th February 2009, 00:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Well, just like all Chinese products, the cars looks great. But what matters is reliability, & unfortunately only initial Indian guinea pigs will know about that.

here is the link about cherry cars.

Chery International All Models

Few pics of its basic A1 Hatch
that looks like a cross between u-va and grande punto.
Old 14th February 2009, 00:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Because not too many can beat the cost advantage that Maruti and Tata enjoy
Beware, be warned, very warned, about the cost advantage the Chinese can bring in.

I am not saying Indians cant, but there are some things in which the Chinese have shown their excellence in recent times.

Considering you are a business man yourself I am sure you get my point.
Old 14th February 2009, 08:58   #34
BHPian

Chinese sure can produce cheap cars.They can get away with copying in china as the intellectual property rights don't exist i suppose . but i dont think that would be the case in india. In india i am pretty sure GM or for that matter some other international manufacture could take them to court couldn't they?
.AFAIK i think bajaj once won a case against a Chinese manufacture for copying their pulsar bikes and selling them named as GULSAR (darn these Chinese even give rhyming names lol!) in srilanka.i think bajaj was able to prevent them from selling that clone in srilanka but couldn't do much about it being sold in china

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th February 2009 at 14:32. Reason: only two smilies per post allowed
Old 14th February 2009, 09:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
who cares whether its copy or not ? as if we don't from where does Honda and Hyundai's get designing ideas from ?
Hyundai is an expert in copying designs. Old gen Sonata, the i20 to list a few.

But why are you dragging Honda into this ?
Old 14th February 2009, 11:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Beware, be warned, very warned, about the cost advantage the Chinese can bring in.

I am not saying Indians cant, but there are some things in which the Chinese have shown their excellence in recent times.

I seriously doubt that - They might bring in cost advantages but thats mainly because their materials, engineering, and processes might be below Indian and/or international standards.

Indian customers have a fair understanding for VFM propositions.
Old 14th February 2009, 12:19   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
True. The other part of my post was:

Quote:
That said, it will only be a matter of time before Chinese automakers compete with the best. In the 1960's people used to laugh at Japanese cars. In the 1980's people used to ridicule Korean cars. We all know how that ended up.
Chinese cars will come, and emerge successful, for sure. However, I don't think that they are ready just yet. Relevant to India, consider this : To compete with Marutis & Tatas distribution alone will require thousands of crores in investment. And the two Indian gianst offer a supreme balance in terms of quality & price = value. China may compete on the price, but I am not that sure of the value.
Old 14th February 2009, 12:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hyundai is an expert in copying designs. Old gen Sonata, the i20 to list a few.

But why are you dragging Honda into this ?

search and see for yourself how many models of Hondas are inspired from European models like BMW
Old 15th February 2009, 13:19   #39
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
That said, it will only be a matter of time before Chinese automakers compete with the best. In the 1960's people used to laugh at Japanese cars. In the 1980's people used to ridicule Korean cars. We all know how that ended up.
Quote:
Not true in my opinion.

Since the beginning Japanese car manufacturers had commitment to quality, in their products and practices.
The korean cars were not as good as the japs initially when it came to quality, but the issues were more of minor problems with air conditioning, electrical etc, but mostly not major mechanical problems.

Chinese products are different all together. Quality is almost non-existent in chinese engineered products. They are cheap for sure.

Please note that I use the word chinese engineered not chinese manufactured foreign engineered products.

chinese manufacture foreign engineered products goes through quality management procedures of the foreign company. That is the reason why many of your made in china products are not bad quality wise.

But this is not the case of chinese engineered products, specially when it comes to mechanical products.

Now this is not speculation, its a fact.
Old 15th February 2009, 22:34   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
The korean cars were not as good as the japs initially when it came to quality, but the issues were more of minor problems with air conditioning, electrical etc, but mostly not major mechanical problems.
Agreed on the Japs, but not on the Koreans. Initial Hyundai's were a DISASTER, until as late at the end of the eighties. My sister owned a Hyundai Excel when she was studying in the States, we know a thing or two of the quality tprevalent then.
Old 16th February 2009, 11:22   #41
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed on the Japs, but not on the Koreans. Initial Hyundai's were a DISASTER, until as late at the end of the eighties. My sister owned a Hyundai Excel when she was studying in the States, we know a thing or two of the quality tprevalent then.
In that case, i am wrong about koreans. I do know of few excels which was purchased by my uncle for his company use. And they had a lot of problems as mentioned in my earlier post, but not major mech problems. So, i was referring to that.
Old 16th February 2009, 15:48   #42
BHPian

Oh lord no...

Didnt we have enough of the chinese rip-offs, that we should have to deal with cars now. Frankly, sonalika could have tied up with many players out there, but going by history(Read Rhino) i think it will be a right fit.

We cannot compare, Japanese and Korean brands with chinese ones. I am surprised with this move.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks