Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2024, 17:39   #721
vij
BHPian

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
5 door Thar will be positioned between XUV and Scorpio N and will be overlapping in many instants.
Agree. This will be positioned a little above Scorpio N price IMHO.

Some cars sell on space, some on drivability, a rare few sell on "character" and perceived (real or not) fun- Thar 5 will be that.

Last edited by vij : 20th March 2024 at 17:44.
Old 21st March 2024, 01:27   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
..To me there seems to be no other reason what is taking them so long.
The string of SUV launches in the recent years since 2020 have been runaway successes for M&M be it the 3 door Thar, XUV700 and ScorpioN.

The demand/bookings has been greater than the production capacity so far. There is no point launching new vehicles sooner without ramping up the production capacity first. Otherwise it leads to frustrated customers (and larger number of cancellations post booking) due to the waiting periods.

Once the initial euphoria phase settles for the vehicles launched, the demand will stabilize which the production capacity would be able to handle reasonably well.

M&M wouldn't be in any hurry to launch the 5 door Thar, they will do so only when the production capacity is ramped up further to meet the new surge of bookings that will follow.
It would be good if they use the time well to further test and launch a near perfect niggle free vehicle right from day 1

Last edited by for_cars1 : 21st March 2024 at 01:28.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 15:32   #723
BHPian

Thar 5 Door forum is the one forum I closely watch within Bhp. Happy that I could add something here - as I am a fan of 3 Door Thar, and I am hoping that the 5 Door could be my next - especially given my wife is also a big-time Thar fan.

These pics came in my Ecosport Owners Group - claims to be photos clicked at Ambur in Tamil Nadu

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-microsoftteamsimage-9.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-microsoftteamsimage-10.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-microsoftteamsimage-11.jpg
peterjim13 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 16:46   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Thar 5 Door forum is the one forum I closely watch within Bhp. Happy that I could add something here - as I am a fan of 3 Door Thar, and I am hoping that the 5 Door could be my next - especially given my wife is also a big-time Thar fan.

These pics came in my Ecosport Owners Group - claims to be photos clicked at Ambur in Tamil Nadu

Attachment 2586546

Attachment 2586547

Attachment 2586548

Seems rear ingress and egress might be difficult as the footboard base width seems to be narrow.

Last edited by VRSriram : 25th March 2024 at 16:47.
Old 25th March 2024, 16:53   #725
BHPian

Quote:
The rear door window and quarter glass design is looking awkard.

Can't M&M leave it as a full large window? Or do we have any standards that mandate the requirement of a quarter panel glass
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 17:40   #726
Senior - BHPian

Going by the size of the rear quarter glass, one can expect the vehicle to have decent luggage space.
Mahindra needs to price it sensibly and not get too greedy. I can already foresee serpentine queues for test drives and a potential 2-year waitlist!
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 19:06   #727
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Going by the size of the rear quarter glass, one can expect the vehicle to have decent luggage space.
Mahindra needs to price it sensibly and not get too greedy. I can already foresee serpentine queues for test drives and a potential 2-year waitlist!
or price it madly (above XUV700) and consequently shorten the waiting period to 6 months
vij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 14:13   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
The rear door window and quarter glass design is looking awkard.

Can't M&M leave it as a full large window? Or do we have any standards that mandate the requirement of a quarter panel glass
It is not about standards but the need of the glass to roll down fully. The wheel arch position would not allow the full window glass to roll down.
Knightrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 08:49   #729
BHPian

Quote:
These photos seem to suggest that the third window (rear quarter glass) is triangular in shape.
Knightrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 21:34   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door to be unveiled on Independence Day 2024.

- It is expected to go on sale in the final quarter of 2024

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th March 2024 at 21:35.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 13:54   #731
BHPian

Finally we have a date, after so long. To borrow @shankar.balan's nomenclature, the 5-door "Wrongler" should be one hell of a vehicle!

It may still not be the perfect family vehicle, but the allure of a go-anywhere 4WD with classic looks and added comforts should be too hard to resist. Personally, I think the name Thar Armada sounds good too, and not some silly name that ends with "O".

Even after so many years, a Thar still has the enviable road presence and sheer charisma that sets it apart. The new Armada wont be cheap, of course, but then it is probably justified for what if will offer.
Old 28th March 2024, 14:35   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar 5-door to be unveiled on Independence Day 2024.

- It is expected to go on sale in the final quarter of 2024

Link:
Hope this news and timeline are true. Most eager to see what they have done to the front.

I recently went to the M&M service center and saw one mule over there. Photographs weren't allowed, but from a distance it did look imposing and the front grille looks to be a new design in my view. Need to see what the final product is
diwakarmuthu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 16:00   #733
BHPian

I am excited about the launch but still can't figure out how Mahindra will position it. The 3-door Thar 4x4 models occupy the 15-20L bracket. As a 5/7 seater, the lower variants of the XUV700 and Scorpio N offer considerably more cars per rupee than the upcoming Thar Armada in this price range. Above 20L, the Z8S variant of the Scorpio N is unbeatable value for money. The higher variants of both the Scorpio N and XUV700 comfortably beat the Thar Armada again in the 23-29L bracket. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 28th March 2024, 21:45   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
I am excited about the launch but still can't figure out how Mahindra will position it.
The 5 door Thars price would most likely sit in the 20-25L range unless Mahindra gets really greedy. While it would solidly overlap in pricing with the ScorpioN and XUV700, the Thars value proposition would still be quite different from the other 2 suvs, the 5 door would be far more lifestyle/adventure oriented, whereas the ScorpioN and XUV700 are more focused towards being peoples primary cars. Either ways Mahindra will ensure that anybody with a budget of 15-30L SUV walking into their showroom will find something that suits them.
Old 29th March 2024, 23:41   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
The 5 door Thars price would most likely sit in the 20-25L range unless Mahindra gets really greedy. While it would solidly overlap in pricing with the ScorpioN and XUV700, the Thars value proposition would still be quite different from the other 2 suvs, the 5 door would be far more lifestyle/adventure oriented, whereas the ScorpioN and XUV700 are more focused towards being peoples primary cars. Either ways Mahindra will ensure that anybody with a budget of 15-30L SUV walking into their showroom will find something that suits them.
The Scorpio N 4x4 variants start from 18L (ex-showroom) to 24.54L for the top trim. Seems like it has already covered the 20-25L range. It is also a considerably better car overall than the Thar except for extreme (keyword) offroading. For a lifestyle vehicle, the 3-door Thar makes more sense. XUV is a different breed altogether so I agree with you on that one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks