Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2006, 15:27   #16
BHPian

if M&M is trying to get this engine out then i think whatever they have done to make this car a takeaway will wash out . they say in the ads that nothing else will do but bringing out this version of the scorpio will change the statement .......pls M&M i dont want to see the scorpio on taxi stands cmon ppl this is supposed to be an enthusiasts car
Old 12th December 2006, 15:31   #17
BANNED

It will be a bit hard to ignore the revenues they can gain with Taxis. I think there's still a big void left behind by the Qualis.
Old 12th December 2006, 15:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

the scorpio's major flaw is cramped leg room. hence, i dont see it as being a very successful taxi. The Bolero XL is a better bet for a taxi, but we dont see too many of those around as well, do we.

Mahindra desperately needs a new platform to replace the bolero, and position it below the scorpio. the scorpio is Mahindra's flagship- they shouldnt mess around with the brand equity that it has garnered over the years.

We all know how effectively Mahindra has screwed the bolero!
Old 16th March 2007, 20:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

What is it

Today while coming back after getting my car washed and waxed with my friend i was this scorpio with different badges on it and it had to elder people in it her is the pic

if its some new version can anybody put light on it and if its discussed already then sorry

Note from Moderator: Kindly make sure you erase number plate before posting

Last edited by adya33 : 16th March 2007 at 20:45.
Old 17th March 2007, 09:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

The number plate shows a general number. Does this mean that it is already on sale to the public?
Old 17th March 2007, 11:50   #21
BHPian

Well if M&M has started targeting the Scorpio as a public utility vehicle then I think it is already bearing fruit for them atleast in this part of the country as over the past week or so I have seen atleast 4-5 new Scorpio's being used as tourist taxi and all have the latest registration numbers (currently the F series). This is a big number to be spotted in a week in a small place like ours. I wonder what will be its image in the next 6 months. Thank God I dropped the idea of owning a Scorpio.
Old 17th March 2007, 12:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

The M2DI engine is being launched for rural markets where the Scorpio M2DI where the Scorpio will be mostly bought by taxi drivers, farmers(??).
Old 17th March 2007, 13:57   #23
BANNED

A week ago, on the Bangalore - Chennai NH4, I saw a vehicle which looked a lot like the Qualis from the rear but it had a Mahindra badge. Was a test vehicle driven by a pro - the vehicle really flew. Does anyone know what this is?

Last edited by hrag : 17th March 2007 at 13:57. Reason: more details
Old 17th March 2007, 14:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
The M2DI engine is being launched for rural markets where the Scorpio M2DI where the Scorpio will be mostly bought by taxi drivers, farmers(??).
The two old fellow sitting inside the car looked alot like farmers And the car was noiser but had no difference than a regular scorpio any other way to spot these other than m2di written in the back
Old 18th March 2007, 12:10   #25
BHPian

Mahindra sells a pick-up version of our Scorpio in markets such as South Africa. While it is cheap there even with the pushrod CRDe engine, they must be looking at making an even cheaper version for other similar markets. They must have used the main scorp body while doing some testing.

About time they added a turbo to the Bolero engine and quietened down the noise a bit.
Old 18th March 2007, 18:26   #26
BHPian

I have seen this M2Di badged scorpio as BPO cabs in hyderabad. they are generally packed with 8 people on board and pull on well. It looks like mahindra wants to have their fair share of the taxi market.
Old 20th March 2007, 09:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

I can understand M&M are going in for the kill to get a share of the taxi market.. but why kill the image of the vehicle they painstakingly developed over this period of time? Why would someone want to buy a vehicle worth around 10 lakhs, when another avatar of it is a common place cab vehicle? Why emulate Tata here?
Old 20th March 2007, 23:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

These M2DI's dont have the body cladding, saw a couple. One of them being used as a call centre pickup. Asked the driver about why did the owner chose the Scorpio over the Bolero, he said this one s more powerful and fuel efficient than the Bolero. Totally oblivious to the fact that this infact has the same engine as the Bolero DI Turbo.

I guess M&M is confused, when they already have the Bolero for the people mover category and which is doing god, why pull thescorpio down in the same territory. It wont actually kill the Bolero, however, it wil kill the Scorpio as the buyers of the higher scorpio's would definitely like to go elsewhere.
Old 20th March 2007, 23:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
it wil kill the Scorpio as the buyers of the higher scorpio's would definitely like to go elsewhere.
Why wouldnt they buy the CRDe Scorpios?

Mahindra has launched this M2Di to enter the Sumo/Spacio market. The higher end Scorpio, I suppose, will still remain in the league.
Old 21st March 2007, 03:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

I got to ride in one of these M2Di's on a recent trip to Siliguri (last week). It was a brand new vehicle with temp registration.

On the same trip, immediately after the Scorp, I was in a Tavera that had run 74K kms in 13 months .. it was so much smoother and comfier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks