Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2022, 14:27   #76

Re: Unsuitable Motors | When small car engines were wrongly used in larger cars

Unsuitable Motors | When small car engines were wrongly used in larger cars-maxresdefault.jpg

Another car that I'd like to add to this list is MG Hector with its 1.5 Turbo Petrol paired to DCT/CVT.
Having owned this car for over 2 years, It definitely feels underpowered even in the city and should actually get a bigger 2 liter turbo petrol to pull this heavy car considering it almost weighs as much as the Innova Crysta.
Old 6th June 2022, 16:01   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavye.31 View Post
Attachment 2317080

Another car that I'd like to add to this list is MG Hector with its 1.5 Turbo Petrol paired to DCT/CVT.
Having owned this car for over 2 years, It definitely feels underpowered even in the city and should actually get a bigger 2 liter turbo petrol to pull this heavy car considering it almost weighs as much as the Innova Crysta.
I recently came across the petrol Hector at a car wash and the guy opened the bonnet to wash the engine. Standing on the side I couldn't spot the engine . I literally had to peak into the engine bay to spot a puny engine below in that huge space. I guess after a certain point there is no replacement for displacement.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 16:09   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I guess after a certain point there is no replacement for displacement.
Couldn't agree anymore!
The diesel powertrain that is offered with the hector seems adequate. However, the petrol unit feels underpowered especially with the DCT.
Old 7th June 2022, 23:18   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavye.31 View Post
Couldn't agree anymore!
The diesel powertrain that is offered with the hector seems adequate. However, the petrol unit feels underpowered especially with the DCT.
Not sure how you are defining underpowered, but have effortlessly driven my Hector+ with 6 people and luggage in the hills. Didn't have any issues overtaking or climbing up the hills, in fact it pulls through quite seamlessly and this is in the normal drive gear, never needed to move to Sport. Yes it doesn't have really fast acceleration and one has to be gentle on the throttle but never felt that it does not have adequate pulling power.
rag_nfs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 12:21   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_nfs View Post
Not sure how you are defining underpowered, but have effortlessly driven my Hector+ with 6 people and luggage in the hills.
IMHO, Good drivers will be able to extract good performance(below 120 kmh) from most of the cars listed on this thread. You just have to understand the engine characteristics and tweak your driving style accordingly especially if you are driving a manual vehicle.

Now the difference between a 1.5 liter and 2 liter starts showing up once speeds build beyond say 120k or on hills with a full load for that really quick overtake. Even here, a good driver who knows the vehicle well will be able to do a lot of these overtakes. However drivers (even experienced ones who don't understand the car/engine) won't be able to do some of these overtakes.

All said & done, a good craftsman will understand his tools well and extract the maximum performance/FE/engine life from his/her machine.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 8th June 2022 at 12:22.
Old 15th June 2022, 10:11   #81
BHPian

Surprised nobody has mentioned about the BS4 Scorpio that came with the Bolero's 2.5 engine in the base variant. I know it was aimed at those who wanted a rugged workhorse at an affordable price but didn't want the Bolero. But considering how barebones it was both in the interior and the exterior (black bumpers), many just preferred to get the Bolero at a cheaper price. And that engine never suited the Scorpio like the 2.2 MHawk did.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks