Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you put your money on?
Top spec model but a segment lower 127 57.99%
Base model but a segment higher 92 42.01%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2007, 23:57   #31
BHPian

I would go for Top of the Line model of Lower Segment.
Old 6th May 2007, 00:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

Base Model of newly launched car or top model of an older car ? Wait some more time, save more cash and buy the top or intermediate model of the new car. :-)

Atleast in India, cars are not something you can buy every year (for the salaried class atleast). Its a big investment and most of us deliberate a lot before making a decision. So its hard to take a stance.
Old 6th May 2007, 00:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Practically of course, I'd buy the Middle of the Higher most times.
Precisely. My decision would be influenced by the segment/car being considered. For instance, most small cars offer ABS/airbags in higher speced models only. This would certainly influence my buying decision. But in higher segments, these safety features might come as standard in mid-spec versions. So, the mid-spec would be the one to go for in this segment.This way you get to customize your ride with alloys/leather/ICE/misc. accessories to give it that individualistic touch.
Old 6th May 2007, 08:14   #34
BHPian

Well you can add the extras Like Power windows and central lock at any time ..If the base model of the higher end is good in specs and in road that's what i am going for !
Old 6th May 2007, 13:30   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the correction of the price point in that example GTO. However, as mentioned, it was simply an example. You have given your opinion on the Spark vs Swift. However, things get a lot more complicated when you look at the model blurs of vehicles of the same manufacturer such as Hyundai and the Santro and Getz Prime.
In that case, the door is too wide open...and really depends on the cars being considered. Variables are too many. For instance:

1. I would choose the loaded Santro over the Getz since the Getz is too sluggish with the 1.1. (Therefore poll option no. 1)

2. Base Swift over the loaded Spark (Therefore poll option no. 2)

3. Palio 1.6 over base esteem (Poll option no.1)

4. Base Corolla over loaded NHC (Poll option no.2).

So its an even. You needed a third option in the poll.
Old 6th May 2007, 15:36   #36
BHPian

Very subjective, but the general feeling is I would go for a high end in the lower segment.
Old 6th May 2007, 15:38   #37
Team-BHP Support

Of course it's subjective guys! Every single decision on a new car purchase will be subjective! There is no right or wrong answer here that needs a third poll choice! lol
Old 6th May 2007, 16:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I would rather get a well speced car from the factory even if it means settling for a smaller car. Unless ofcourse I really need the extra space of a larger vehicle.
It is not just the space. when you get a car from the higher segment, apart from the dimensions of the car, it is a different world the higher segment & it offers a better performance & comfort.
Old 6th March 2010, 15:37   #39
BHPian

This depends on the maker also. for TATA and Maruthi I will go for the top spec, because the base model will be stripped down version without basic safety and features. for 20L + segment I might go for the base model, because the base model will have pretty much everything one expect from a luxury car.

In general a luxury car maker will design a basic car and spec up where as VFM player will design the highest variant car and strip down! Just my thoughts!
Old 6th March 2010, 19:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

I will choose the higher segment base model.
What I will get (Specific to spark LTO vs swift LXi)
1) Better performance
2) Better ride and handling
3) Better space
4) Better Image / Showoff. (Someone with dzire LXI will have the same image in the eyes of public as dzire ZXi although there is a huge price difference.

What you loose is a few minor features.
And for those who will complain on fuel economy (Which also is not always true), I will ask would you prefer to have a smaller house for the same budget so that can save money on maintainance.
Old 6th March 2010, 21:10   #41
BHPian

top end variant for me!
Old 6th March 2010, 21:28   #42
Team-BHP Support

I prefer pre-owned cars. I don't think I will ever buy a first hand car because to me it adds no value.
In pre-owned the top end and the other variants don't really have a huge difference.
So it shall be the top end always.
Old 6th March 2010, 21:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

While normally the answer would be the base variant of the higher model, these days safety features are being offered only on the top end model. So the top end variant does make more sense.
Old 6th March 2010, 22:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

This is an interesting thread. I'd prefer a top end variant even if it's a segment lower. Cuz in India, the base variant usually doesn't have ABS and Airbags(except Honda). Apart from these must-haves, there are plenty of other equipments that you dont' get in a base variant.
Take for instance, Fiat Linea Active(Petrol) vs. Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta(O). Both are similarly priced but just compare the equipment list of the i20 with that of the Linea Active! The i20 gets ABS, 6 Airbags, steering mounted controls, MP3/CD/USB/Aux, electrically retractable mirrors, fog lamps, alloy wheels and so on. Plus being a hatch, the i20 is a lot more spacious than the Linea. The Linea Active OTOH is just a car with an engine, 4 doors and 4 wheels. That's it. And I'd never want such a car.
Hence, i think it's a wise decision to always pick up a top end variant even if it is a segment lower. Trust me, it'll surely make life behind the wheels much easier
Old 6th March 2010, 22:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion buying a fully loaded car i.e. car pre fitted with all the creature comforts is a good buy rather than buying a car having more space or status without the features. Its good to buy a top end lower segment model if one needs complete peace of mind. Buying a base model car a segment higher will cost more as one will feel the need to fit in some creature comforts some time and will end up spending much more on it. This is just IMHO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks