Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2021, 13:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Combined sales of Hyundai & Kia higher than Maruti in May 2021, due to lockdown

I think this is purely due to production/dispatch constraints due to COVID situation. Appears that Maruti is impacted more than Hyundai due to this situation.

Hyundai may catch up in future, but this particular instance is not a pointer to that.

But, agree that Hyundai+Kia earns higher margins compared to Maruti due to high selling models like Creta, Seltos etc.
Old 6th June 2021, 16:11   #17
BHPian

Re: Combined sales of Hyundai & Kia higher than Maruti in May 2021, due to lockdown

Though May'21 could be an exceptional month, however, considering how Maruti has been lagging behind in terms of design language, features and quality, I don't see MSIL to remain at top for long. Barring very few products, most of their products look either very ordinary inside out or are let down with poor crash ratings. I would say May'21 is a wakeup call and high time that folks at MSIL should stop thinking that today's buyers only want fuel efficient entry level cars, else MSIL would go the Nokia way.
Old 6th June 2021, 16:19   #18
BHPian

What Alto used to be for Maruti Stable, Seltos is to KIA. I feel like this is not a fair competition. Kia is just running with a Single Leg and if they bring their entire portfolio to India, boy-o-boy, it will be a really tough competition not only for Maruti but for everyone.

I personally had never imagined that Seltos will become such a success. I had thought that it will cannabalize sales for Creta but it seems like only Seltos and Creta are the only two running in this track and rest no one else is to be found.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 17:12   #19
BHPian

Seems like a PR stunt by Hyundai & Kia to make the most of the situation & enhance their brand image. Most of the readers (non TBHP-ians) reading it in news, magazines etc. won't even bother to go into the details of the lockdown month, MSIL cutting production etc. They'll just look at the headline and go "wow!" which is exactly what HyuKia want.
Old 7th June 2021, 09:40   #20
VVN
BHPian

I'd love it if some other OEM came and actually overtook Maruti. Simply because I want Maruti to stop crawling under the low benchmark they have set for themselves and we also need Mr Bhargava to get a reality check. As some have pointed out, these numbers are nothing but a PR stunt. Not at all comparative. It's like comparing the sales of a shut shop with one that is open. It's a no brainer that the numbers will be higher for Maruti once it becomes Apples to Apples.

At the same time, India really needs to see the market share being spread out evenly among other OEMs. Thats the only way we will get to see proper products (Global standard) coming to our shores.
Old 8th June 2021, 07:04   #21
BHPian

While Hyundai-Kia might have overtaken Maruti in May I do not think they are celebrating and they know it is due to the situation. Not sure why they are getting any flak for it.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 17:47   #22
BHPian

Reminds me of Narain Karthikeyan getting the first F1 points for an Indian driver in the US grand Prix.. History was made, but not quite..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks