Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 14:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 'Dress Code' when visiting car showrooms for a test-drive?

Makes sense for motorcycle test rides because its easy to scrape skin off your body in the event of an accident. But customers who show up to dealership to checkout the product shouldn't be asked to wear class appropriate clothing. There Are many instances in Indonesia and Thailand where the low paid daily wagers saved up every penny and walked to dealership to hand huge plastic bag full of coins to count to buy superbikes. And most dealers use it as promotion material for themselves.

https://coconuts.co/jakarta/news/exa...rp-1000-coins/

But any dealer who decides on walk-in customer's purchase power based on his attire doesn't deserve my money. Ironically my issue with the Nexa dealership was their whole staff pretending to be selling me a Porsche in their suits while all I went in there for was to enquire if they're willing to lend my uncle (who was car shopping an entry level amt car) their Ignis.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 15:26   #47
BHPian

I prefer dressing down while going to a car showroom to buy a car, or for a house listing, or something similar for the sole fact that I don't want the attention. Dressing simply, and dressing shabbily are two completely different things, and the distinction must be made.

I love dressing up in general, clothes give me a lot of joy. I love expressing how I feel through my clothes, and they play a large role in my mood as well; lighter colours when I'm feeling lighter, darker colours when I want to come across as sharp. When I'm going out with my friends, I'm going to dress up adequately. But in some situations, you want to dress to be forgotten instead of being remembered. I want to be left alone for the most part in a car showroom, it gives me greater mental peace. I already know most of what the salesperson is going to say, so them not treating me won't affect me badly.

For me, the car buying process is about the car, the sales experience is secondary, as long as nothing outwardly disrespectful takes place. My tolerance is a little higher. However, if we're talking about after sales service, that's a whole other discussion, where I would really appreciate the attention.
sunnysideup_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 15:55   #48
BHPian

I myself have been in selling used cars. But i can say, its pretty much similar to selling new and i think its lot to do with location, brand, and of course the type of customer you are dealing with. Dress-code did not make much difference since i see there was a mix where i worked, some were very formal and some were informal. so dress did not make much difference.

In my personal experience, all customer are unique in their own way and have to be played on their merits.

In a place like Coimbatore, most of the customer who come to buy cars know about the car they are planning to buy and they know when we sales guy bluff or try to oversell.

My success have always been to allow customer to talk and getting to know upfront what his/her needs are and then talk. Clarity in communication, transparent information and of course prompt follow-up with a pleasing attitude.
silverstreakcbe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 16:31   #49

There's a famous saying that goes, "Money talks, wealth wispers".

From my experience the really wealthy peoiple, especially the first gen founders are really understated and simple in their dressing, and you probably wouldn't give them a second glance when you walk past them on the road. People like these have nothing to prove, and have that sense of inner satisfaction.

However this is a perception driven world, and sales people end up judging people based on appearance.

Funny story, i rented a bike when i visited Jodhpur and was staying at the Umaid Bhavan, because i was bored of the innova drives and i was refused entry back into the hotel because the security didn't belive that i was staying at the hotel. . I didn't get offended, but alas that's how the world works i guess.

Last edited by managhatke77 : 11th June 2021 at 16:54.
managhatke77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:36   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancia_fanboy View Post
Actually in this particular case, it's not about wallet but rather the lineage. That guy in the image is the Current ruler of Thailand - Vajiralongkorn (Rama X)
I think his wallet is mightier than his illustrious lineage. There are lots of people boasting similar lineages but not worth mentioning wallets in the world.

He is the wealthiest monarch in the world, with a net worth estimated to be between US$30 billion and US$70 billion.

'Dress Code' when visiting car showrooms for a test-drive?-vajiralongkorn-net-worth.png

[Source]
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 20:45   #51
BHPian

What next? Dress code for going to a shopping mall.
Let people dress in which they feel comfortable, it should be clean and decent enough, thats all matters, IMO.
INJAXN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 22:58   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Also, if you want to show intent/seriousness, it is better to call up first and let them know that you will be arriving at 11:30 AM (for example) for test drive. If needed, have a brief conversation on phone with salesperson you will be interacting with, and ask for him/her when you enter the showroom.

If you want excellent sales experience, the above works much better than dressing up formally.
Agree to this and it has worked wonders during my car purchase. Dressing is one part of it( though it's better to be dressed well before we get into a car showroom) as some showroom folks start judging based on the attire you're wearing. If you have a phone conversation with the salesperson before entering the showroom, then the salesperson will know that you're a serious customer willing to purchase the car soon and the impression is already set.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 23:06   #53
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th June 2021 at 08:23.
nidhikapoor is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th June 2021, 23:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
What next? Dress code for going to a shopping mall.
Let people dress in which they feel comfortable, it should be clean and decent enough, thats all matters, IMO.
Nobody is asking to wear formals. But there is no harm in wearing something decent. Unfortunately, most Indians, especially men, don't know how to dress appropriately for the occasion. Roaming around in Jockeys and bathroom slippers is not acceptable, whether they are comfortable or not.

And I am in complete disagreement with the people who said they deliberately dress down to test the salesman. It is just plain arrogance and stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
If you have a phone conversation with the salesperson before entering the showroom, then the salesperson will know that you're a serious customer willing to purchase the car soon and the impression is already set.
Doesn't work always. During the early days of the new Thar, I was in touch with a salesperson and went for a TD at the exact time he called me, only to find that there is a waiting of over 2 hours. Came back after asking him to inform me when the crowd is less. A couple of weeks later he called me again. This time when I reached, he informs me that the car has left for another showroom
Old 11th June 2021, 23:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Roaming around in Jockeys and bathroom slippers is not acceptable, whether they are comfortable or not.

And I am in complete disagreement with the people who said they deliberately dress down to test the salesman. It is just plain arrogance and stupid.

Doesn't work always. During the early days of the new Thar, I was in touch with a salesperson and went for a TD at the exact time he called me, only to find that there is a waiting of over 2 hours. Came back after asking him to inform me when the crowd is less. A couple of weeks later he called me again. This time when I reached, he informs me that the car has left for another showroom
Makes sense about the the jockey and slipper attire.

Regarding the phone call, it depends on the dealership as well. Usually VST group and Elite Ford are a bit arrogant when it comes to treating customers. On the other hand some dealers are proactive even for a phone call. Maybe your bad luck with the Thar ordeal. I've tried this in different states too and it has worked for me.
Old 12th June 2021, 06:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

I think while the bare necessities of public wear are obvious, your knowledge of the product is equally or perhaps more important. I have often encountered that I can get through the basic formalities of enquiry/ customer scrutiny pretty easily over the years as I gain knowledge of the product before witnessing it, whether its a smartphone or a car. In my latest case, I was actually complimented by the dealer staff for being so focused on my product/ variant choice . The person said that most of their time is spent on convincing people about models and variants especially for those who just saunter into a showroom with a budget range .

Thats the benefit of being a BHPian I guess!

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 12th June 2021 at 06:15.
Old 10th June 2022, 10:52   #57
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

My two cents:

Don't dress like going to gala dinner or a corporate party.
However, don't appear like a broke college student as well.

I know, people would want to step on my neck for the second point but hey, it feels good to be dressed minimum decently (collared t-shirt, jeans and shoes that cover your feet).

In fact I have to dress up a little extra since I look like a school kid.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:05   #58
Senior - BHPian

If I am paying a couple of million rupees for a vehicle, I do not want to go to the showroom but the car to be brought home. I have been TDing various cars since last 6 months and all this while I was in T-shirt and shorts (both nicely ironed and wrinkle-free). Furthermore, I always wore shoes + socks and applied good perfume; The idea is not to look or feel rich, but to be presentable always. At the end of the day, what is important is how much money you have in your wallet but one should act accordingly.

We may walk in our garden in bathroom slippers, but visiting a car showroom in those is a strict no-no in my books.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:26   #59
BHPian

Needless to say dressing appropriately, being presentable and comfortable should be the way to go. At the end of the day, first impressions do matter.

Apart from dressing, one thing which I have observed in Delhi NCR is the attitude of sales staff, security and the receptionist differ based on one's skin tone. I know this might sound racist and is controversial, but any "dark skinned" Indian does face "racism" in his/her daily life. I recall the former Indian spinner, Laxman Sivaramakrishnan mentioning this as well. Might well be the case only in Northern parts of India.

Mods: Kindly delete the post if it violates the Team BHP rules.
kushagra452 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 11:56   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

You gotta do what you gotta do :-)

androdev is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks