Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 09:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Honda to re-enter midsize SUV market

Honda is the Internet Explorer of the car world.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...1&d=1629344209
Attached Thumbnails
Honda to re-enter midsize SUV market-threemicrosoftmemesthatnolongermakesensetoday5277784.jpeg  

shibulijack is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
Honda is the Internet Explorer of the car world.
Hope they get the Edge soon.
saisree is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Hope they get the Edge soon.
They will. In 2023 .

To repeat what everyone said, 2023 is way off target.
A car development cycle takes anywhere between 3.5 to 5 yrs.
You can also do it quicker if you have a set platform, vendors on board and if many of the parts shared between an existing car and the new one.
They should have started this in 2019.
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 10:08   #49
BHPian

With the likes of Astor, XUV700 and The Korean brothers ruling the segment, Honda has a very low chance of survival with their pricing strategy. Honda is still an aspirational brand to many, and Honda need to en-cash the situation before it completely fades away !
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 10:26   #50
BHPian

2023 is too far ahead, and the entire industry may be moving towards EV.

Mahindra has plans to launch all-new electric SUVs by 2022, based on existing & completely new architecture.

With fuel prices not coming in the future, this is not a viable plan. They should instead focus on a VFM Electric C/Mid size SUV by 2023, the market would be matured and many of us would prefer an EV by then - Just my 2 cents.
Old 19th August 2021, 10:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
You can also do it quicker if you have a set platform, vendors on board and if many of the parts shared between an existing car and the new one.
They should have started this in 2019.
Its why the SUV is based on the City. Only way to compete with Creta and Seltos is to keep costs down like this.
Old 19th August 2021, 11:52   #52
BHPian

So, finally Honda has decided to come out of hibernation. It has been six years since Creta was launched, then came the Kia Seltos, and rest is history. Were the Japs not aware what the Koreans were up to?

Till this new product is actually launched in the market, I request Honda to give the 1.5 liter engine of City in WR-V and Jazz as a stopgap measure and spruce up the interiors a bit. It's not rocket science.

I think expecting the 1.5 turbo would be too much.
PranavDesai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:58   #53
BHPian

I'll believe it when I see the actual car on the road, with an owner driving it. Honda is in such a sorry state in India, it's a shame ! My town (tier 3 city - Baramati) has showrooms and service center for even Nissan, Datsun, Volkswagen. There was a Honda showroom along the main road in city but it shut down in a year or so. I had gone to check out the WR-V, while shopping for our car. The showroom was badly managed, no proper management. We had to wait for good 15 minutes for some salesperson to notice us. Their top selling car - City wasn't available for Test drive or even as display piece. Last time I went in December,2020 the watchman told me it's closed forever. My neighbor has the 4th gen City, and his monthly running is very high. For servicing and stuff he has to take the car to Pune city, 100kms away ! I for am glad I didn't get lured away by City's V-Tech engine and chose Hyundai over this Honda. Atleast I have some peace that, service center is present nearby in case needed.
Old 19th August 2021, 12:10   #54
BHPian

Really !!! I still remember this news which came in 2014 in our team-BHP

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/hondas...suv-india-2017

At that time everyone believed that it might come true as there was a very strong belief that it might be based on the Brio platform.

It is 4 years past that 2017 milestone - still no signs of these cars

And now they have planned another one to be launched in 2023. God only knows what will happen then.

Honda India please wake up.
ashking101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:46   #55
BHPian

Looks like all the quality-conscious Japanese brands are scurrying out of the Indian market. Honda produces/sells more vehicles in China and North America than all of Asia (https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2021/c210729eng.html). Toyota's focus too remains these lucrative markets. Tells us a little bit about their outlook on India, and hence it's not too much of a bother for them to be criticised for being laggardly here. They probably don't care, in the larger scheme of things for their business outlook
sam_babushka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:49   #56
BHPian

Honda doesn't need a City Hybrid in India as much as they need a cross over to compete against Korean/VW/Skoda twins and Tata-M&M. 2023 is too long! The 5th Gen City 1.5 NA is good enough - they can definitely make it a more compelling package though by improving on the ICE unit and adding ventilated seats. This would cost them much lesser and gain sales traction than introducing a Hybrid version. And then focus all their time and money on launching the crossover in 2nd half of 2022. Not sure what Honda has been smoking all these years!!
Old 19th August 2021, 13:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

Honda has already made the blunder of launching large MPVs like BRV/Mobilio on less robust Brio platform and ending up as bad flops.

Even the City based platform will not be robust enough for a mid size SUV and will not sell.

They already had the proven CRV and all they needed to do was provide a proper powerful large displacement engine which they failed to realize and hence it didn't do well.

Hope they bring back the CRV with the right engine (preferably petrol/diesel-electric hybrid) and only the CRV will be a worthy contender in the mid size SUV space.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 19th August 2021 at 13:40.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:21   #58
BHPian

It's sad that a company like Honda is reacting and adapting to the market dynamics so slowly. I feel the top management is just procrastinating on this issue and the right time has already passed for Honda.

While they are targetting Aug 2023 but keeping in mind the uncertainty looming due to Covid 19, this might get pushed by few months. By that time Creta & Seltos both would have received their mid-life updates.

Accordingly to me, since Honda has already lost a lot of time and ground (by 6 - 7 years), they should focus on the EV platform for India which can be a good offering in FY 2024-25. If they want to come up with something on the ICE platform then they should look at making a cost-effective platform that can be utilized for both EV and ICE platforms without pushing the production line too much.
Old 19th August 2021, 15:26   #59
BHPian

The company with the definitive aspirational car inform of Honda City about 20 years back, now has nothing to show for. This is definitely Honda India's fault.

The are always late to the party.

Missed the diesel wave,
Missed the CSUV wave despite launching WRV relatively quickly.
Missed the SUV wave despite launching CRV.

They are very fortunate Indians still have some respect for the City. Else its all a big flop show. I mean, why bother if you are not going to compete seriously in a very demanding market. Might as well pack your bags and create less confusion so people can happily buy the Koreans.
Old 19th August 2021, 15:27   #60
BHPian

I have been hearing about Honda HR-V launch since 2015 and nothing has landed here yet. Honda needs to wake up if they are serious about India. Even Renault has upped their game recently and launched fresh products. Apart from the old Civic none of the Honda cars have excited me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks