Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 11:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Genesis G80 and GV80 showcased in India

Genesis is going to be a hard sell in our country. Granted that they are very nice cars inside and out. I don't think the brand will be able to price itself below the big Germans who have been around much longer and have a loyal customer base. Lowering their price won't be enough too. At the higher end of the spectrum, that badge up front matters a lot.
Old 28th July 2021, 11:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
If Genesis brings a v6 powered car for 60 lakhs, it will have many takers.

All of this is assuming Genesis cars are priced well but for that CBU taxes might play spoilsport.
True. If Genesis has to offer a competitive product, CKD is the only way to go. CBUs will most likely be DOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinS View Post
Just like Maruti Suzuki can’t sell cars above 20lakh
Slight correction, it should be 'above 11~12lakh'.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 15:30   #18
BHPian

IMHO, seems more of a PR Exercise and Power Show. I don't think Hyundai is concentrating on Genesis for India. They knew it won't sell beyond single/double monthly that's why haven't launched yet. Compare the Sales figures of Lexus / Volvo against the 3 Germans and you will get the GIST.
Old 28th July 2021, 17:33   #19
BHPian

I think these will sell in hot numbers.

Indians are brand conscious for local manufacturers. When new brands come with the right noise and fanfare they will buy - just look at Kia’s and MG’s stupendous success.

Truth be told Kia is (or used to be) a brand below Hyundai’s position in people’s minds atleast in the Western Hemisphere. But in India it commands a premium over the marutis and the Tatas.

Price the Genesis well, not too low that people start thinking it’s cheap luxury. Perhaps closer to the Big three and it will carve out a brand image for itself - which is very critical for luxury brands success.
TorqMaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 17:51   #20
BHPian

That G80 is just gorgeous! It's a good departure from the general corporate styling of the German sedans, and is eclectic styling executed to perfection unlike whatever it is that the BMW design team is attempting to do. I hope they launch these here, would be fun to see them on the roads even if they're in low numbers.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hope they launch it here soon. Not sure if they try to compete with big 3 here or stay focused only on 1-2 models.

Last edited by aniketi : 28th July 2021 at 19:34.
Old 29th July 2021, 07:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Finally, the killer looks of Genesis cars alone can seal the deal. All of this is assuming Genesis cars are priced well but for that CBU taxes might play spoilsport.
Only reason Genesis is able to sell is because it significantly undercuts premium brands pricing. Even most of the places it sells, it trails almost all the premium brands. No matter how good it looks or how many features it has, it does not have even half the brand recall of Audi, BMW, Merc and JLR.
abhijet.sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 22:23   #23
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Agreed, Indians are very badge conscious. All the other points put forward are also 100% relevant, I concur.

But 1 thing that Indians put foremost among ALL segments is Value For Money. No doubts about it.

Let Genesis launch in India with at least a 10-15 lakh marked price difference among the German rivals in the 40-70 lakh segment, combine it with all the marketing wizardry they can, and look at the magic unfold.
Most of the Genesis line up is VFM compared to the Germans. So unless Hyundai imports them with the high taxes, it's going to vfm and a great alternative. At the moment, the Koreans are the only ones that can make this happen. Genesis hasn't had the success they want around the world yet but the Indian market could be the one considering we have much fewer options.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 13:01   #24
BHPian

Genesis planning to enter India.

Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/hyundais-luxu...-india-report/
r-a-s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 07:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Generally, luxury car brand needs the reputation and pedigree, especially in the emerging markets. It is also a game a perceived value where Genesis can't significantly undercut the competition. (In the manner in which Hyundai did in their initial days)

Hyundai/Genesis have to give Indians enough reasons to look past BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus, Volvo, and Jaguar. Launching a Genesis model may not be as straight forward as launching a Kia Seltos, but don't write the Koreans off.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 19:40   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Last week, when driving down from Chennai to Bangalore, I was trailing a G80 for sometime. It had some blue colored lic plates and 3 passengers( mostly from S.Korea from the looks).

The car really looked good. It was driven very carefully though. The passengers looked more like Execs rather than testers/engineers.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 19:55   #27
BHPian

. Finally Hyundai has started evaluating to bring the Genesis brand to India. I know it will not be a BMW or a Mercedes-Benz in terms of sales as Genesis is a new brand. Buy if Hyundai markets the brand well and prices the Genesis cars very attractively and doesn't do silly omissions unlike Mercedes-Benz has done with their A class, S class, GLE, GLS and GLA and no parking sensors in the GLA.

If Kia can sell so many Carnivals and Alcazar top end diesel auto costing 25 lakhs on road Bangalore yet doing well in terms of sales then why can't they sell Genesis cars in India. Genesis cars definitely have the potential to sell in India. Feature loaded, lovely looks, stunning interior and not to forget that they are even safer than Volvos.

Only thing where Hyundai India needs to work is that they have to give great and luxurious dealerships just like how the Germans and Lexus give. Since Genesis cars is Hyundai's global cars, so reliability will be good and they will far cheaper to maintain than the Germans. I encourage Genesis to succeed well in India. Mercedes-Benz India has become a joke to me now since the GLA launch and it's cheap and silly omissions. Really no parking sensors in a 55 lakhs GLA200d while the AMG43 and 2 lakh rupee less A class Limousine gets them. Newer Genesis cars are definitely far better than newer Mercs except the S class.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th September 2021 at 05:09. Reason: Extra smiley deleted; spacing
IREV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 11:11   #28
BHPian

I will be extremely glad if Genesis succeeds in India. Of course, I won't be able to buy them in the foreseeable future but it I absolutely love their looks. Also, BWM, MB and Jaguar/RR cars have become ridiculously overpriced. They need a huge shock to come back to the earth from the sky. Can Genesis do that? Not easy but I wish it.
DonHyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 11:39   #29

Could this be Hyundai's move to excite D2 segment in India with an affordable luxury proposition?

Tuscon is D1 and Carnival qualifies for D2 and there is plenty of opportunities to tap this segment in India. Placing Genesis right in the premium segment would be too big a gap and won't work for the brand given everyone knows it comes from Hyundai. Moreover, they don't need a "Halo" car to sell themselves. If they are considering Genesis, I am sure they would be thinking in terms of numbers.
Old 6th September 2021, 10:15   #30
BHPian

If these are launched at same price level as in international markets i.e. equivalent of BMW X3 or 3-series, they will sell. If they expect premium pricing like BMW X5 or 5-series, it will be a flop. Their brand recall viz-a-viz European counterparts are zilch. Unless they come at significantly cheaper, most will not spend that huge a money on a Hyundai.

Last edited by abhijet.sen : 6th September 2021 at 10:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks