Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2021, 12:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Swift, Dzire & Vitara Brezza CNG engine specs leaked

Spy images have revealed that Maruti Suzuki is working on CNG variants of the Swift and Dzire. Now, a leaked document sheds some light on the detailed engine specifications of these cars.

Maruti Swift, Dzire & Vitara Brezza CNG engine specs leaked-229930612_525579158668988_7377982660444747780_n.jpg

Both the Swift CNG and Dzire CNG are expected to be powered by a 1.2-litre, Dualjet K12C petrol engine. The car will come with a factory-fitted CNG kit. This engine makes 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 113 Nm @ 4,200 rpm. But, when running on CNG, the output is expected to drop to 70 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 95 Nm @ 4,000 rpm.

The CNG variants are likely to receive a few tweaks to the suspension and brakes, to cope with the added weight of the CNG tank. The cars will get dual inter-dependent ECUs, just like other models in Maruti's S-CNG range.

In terms of styling, the CNG variants are likely to be identical to their petrol-powered counterparts. That said, the cars will miss out on the auto start / stop function.

Source: @car.spyshots

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 6th August 2021 at 12:37.
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 20:31   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift, Dzire & Vitara Brezza CNG engine specs leaked

At-least for the Swift, Success depends on how the boot space is utilized and how much is left for the customer to use.
Imagine your spouse or parents visiting from other town and there is no space to put the luggage.

The Octavia Gtec CNG is kind of a direction of how CNG cars should be designed.
Maruti Swift, Dzire & Vitara Brezza CNG engine specs leaked-images.jpg
frewper is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 23:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
At-least for the Swift, Success depends on how the boot space is utilized and how much is left for the customer to use.
Imagine your spouse or parents visiting from other town and there is no space to put the luggage.
There is a way to handle the In-law's luggage as well.
Which is to fit a roof rack.

I have heard that it is a popular accessory for CNG lovers.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 23:48   #4
BHPian

Contrary to popular belief that Maruti launching CNG powered cars (yet again) is a futile exercise, I actually believe it's a move in a good direction. Post the lockdowns in 2021, which were followed by massive hike in fuel prices, many new CNG outlets have opened in my city (Kolkata). Running a CNG car purely for city commutes is a very attractive proposition now, unlike just about a year ago.
Big Smoke is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 10:41   #5
BHPian

As per me the biggest cons while considering a CNG are as that;

- You have to stand in a big queue to fill gas

- loss of boot space

- Cheapness associated in standing in queues with Autos and Cabbies

- Loss of performance

- Lack of factory fitted kits and automatic options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
The Octavia Gtec CNG is kind of a direction of how CNG cars should be designed.
Attachment 2189518
Something like this will change a lot of things.

- It will save bootspace

- Branding. Like calling it a "Gtec" version rather than CNG car can erase the prejudices associated with CNG term.

For other points ,

CNG is quite widely available today and queues can be avoided depending on choice of pump and timing.

Performance is not the criteria for a huge set of car buyers when commuting is the main concern. Anyway with city traffic there's hardly scope for enjoying a cars performance.

Apart from Maruti only Hyundai, Tata and Renault have significant presence in the budget conscious sub 12 lakh range. Out of these Hyundai has already offered CNG on Aura and Nios which are hugely popular. It's only Tata that is late to the game. By 2023 we will have atleast twice the models on sale vs now and adoption could be better.

Personally I put my money in the dying diesel segment. As performance is an aspect I can't compromise on. Moreover Apart from MS and Hyundai there were no factory fit options on offer. And I still feel there is cheapness associated with CNG as of now. Some rebranding might help.
400notout is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 12:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the CNG is being paired with K12M (non DualJet) engine.

Although CNG has its cons, the pros clearly out weigh the cons when the car is being used on a daily basis. Many, due to WFH, are yet to experience the pinch on their wallets w.r.t daily commute due to increase in fuel prices.

But start commuting daily, and one would see a significant (or read as at least 40%) increase in the monthly fuel expenditures. The lack of BS6 diesel car options in budget category further adds to the woes. This will clearly push people towards the CNG options, and one would be surprised as the additional amount spent over regular petrol variants would nearly be recovered in just 10-20k kms.

Besides, in the current scenario, I guess it is sensible to be in a personal car with a crammed boot due to CNG, than be in a public transport.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 12:41   #7
BHPian

The economics are hard to ignore and can convert the staunchest critics. A CNG car costs approximately Rs 2/km here in NCR. With a speed limit of 60kmph across Delhi and speed cameras mushrooming like anything everyone moves at the same speed.
BS6 diesels need to regen if not driven on highways. For someone running a 1000km a month, you can easily end up saving 7-8k a month.
What can Maruti do is to get a decently equipped version with an automatic. The Nios has a decently equipped CNG version and Maruti needs to have atleast one version as well equipped if not more.

Last edited by coldice4u : 7th August 2021 at 13:04.
coldice4u is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 15:44   #8
BHPian

Almost the entire Arena range comes with CNG powered cars, save for the Brezza. A very good move by Maruti.

The fuel prices are sky rocketing and the traffic has increased due to people choosing personal vehicles over public transport. This has resulted in slower moving cars in lower gears and drop in fuel economy. Also, the above scenario is only going to worsen as more and more offices reopen. Diesel is no more a cheap fuel either. So yes, CNG is the better alternative.

The drawbacks of owning a CNG vehicle are the long queues and pressure woes, in addition to the minimal or no boot-space, which I think do not come in the way of the economics of an urban commuter driving say 20 km to his office.

If only Maruti/Hyundai could experiment and test CNG with their AMTs. That may take the budget car segment by storm. I have seen videos of people installing CNG kits in Ignis, WagonR, Celeio AMT.
shubham7799 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 21:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

2021 Maruti Brezza CNG engine specs leaked.

Maruti Swift, Dzire & Vitara Brezza CNG engine specs leaked-marutibrezzacngspecsleak11068x892.jpg

Brezza CNG will feature the same 1.5-litre K15 naturally aspirated petrol engine. In the CNG-spec version power output will be slightly lower at 91 bhp at 6000rpm and 122 Nm of peak torque at 4,400rpm.

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 23:10   #10

Maruti needs to provide CNG in the mid & top variants. They can also launch an AMT+CNG variant, a perfect pocket friendly city runabout for everyone.
The main issue is with the models on sale today.
The Wagonr CNG comes in Lxi trim. Celerio CNG though available in Vxi trim is complete barebones. S-Presso is avaliable in the Top varaint but it can be tad small for a lot of folks.
On the other hand Hyundai has Santro & Grand i10 Nios both in the Sportz Trim which are feature loaded. Hyundai also has the Aura in the S variant which is decently feature loaded.
I hope Maruti launches CNG Variants in the Vxi and Zxi Trims so they can compete with the Hyundai counterparts.
MANE is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 00:29   #11
BHPian

The CNG variants of Maruti cars are quite good in terms of reliability and performance. If they extend it Brezza and Swift twins then its a good option for buyers in metros where the CNG availability is non-issue. The exponential rise in fuel prices has made me strongly consider CNG for my next car as I have mostly city use. If Maruti specs these cars decently then great all the more.
nerdgalore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 15:26   #12
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift, Dzire & Vitara Brezza CNG engine specs leaked

I have little to no knowledge about CNG vehicles, however I am curious about the safety aspect, I know it is actually quite difficult for fuel from fuel tanks to ignite in the event of an accident, but in a CNG vehicle, is there a chance of explosive decompression/ignition in the event of a serious accident ?
Old 9th August 2021, 17:28   #13
BHPian

CNG is supposedly a safer fuel than petrol in case of an accident. Please check this link out.

Experts, Please weigh in if this information is incorrect. It would be good to know various dimensions of CNG vs Petrol.

https://www.policybazaar.com/motor-i...ver-must-take/
Old 9th August 2021, 19:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Never been fan of the CNG. I have seen many cases of such cars bursting into flames under various conditions. Many months ago, one of our company's vendor buses caught fire, luckily, the driver sensed something was amiss and evacuated everyone and kept the bus at a safe distance from other vehicles on the road.
I also feel this wierd compressed gas smell around the car. Noticed that in one of my friends CNG Ertiga as well.
Old 9th August 2021, 20:14   #15
BHPian

Maruti is extremely street smart and this is the reason they continue to hold more than 50% market share, inspite of all the criticism that goes their way.

Running cost of a CNG vehicle is just ~40% of a diesel vehicle. In markets like Delhi NCR, buying diesel is no more tenable due to ill-thought NGT decisions.

Coupled with high inflation, stagnant salaries due to covid for last 2 years and steep increase in fuel prices in last 1 year. Also, fuel prices are expected to not come down and can only increase, due to our Govt's fascination for keeping fiscal deficit strictly in check and taxes on fuel being the easiest way to do it.

Queues on CNG pumps can be managed by refilling during slightly off-commute hours. CNG is the way to go for city commutes!
KuvamBansal is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks