Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2021, 17:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Customer takes carmaker to court over small-sized spare wheel

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2021 at 09:55.
RedTerrano is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th August 2021, 18:05   #17
BHPian

Wrong decision of court, IMO.

More than cost cutting, use of smaller size spare tyres is to ensure uniform replacement schedule of tyres - basically both front or rear tyres at a time.
Due to full size spare, this schedule is disturbed leading to suboptimal driving experience.

Secondly, as other members say space in boot is inefficiently utilised due to a full sized tyre.
steadfast is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 18:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Worse part is i don't think i can even put a full-size tyre in its space.
Does that mean regular sized tyres don't fit into the tyre space provided in the boot. Is this true for all newer cars that come with space saver tyres.

If that's the case, how do we carry the tyre in case of puncture?
drivingmelody is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 18:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good decision.
But I think the manufacturer needs to ensure a proper spare tyre is provided in all their cars. In an emergency this can be a life saver.
The cost and space saving is minimal compared to the peace of mind a proper spare tyre provides.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 19:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingmelody View Post
Does that mean regular sized tyres don't fit into the tyre space provided in the boot. Is this true for all newer cars that come with space saver tyres.

Since 2007 most BMW and Mini models come with run flat tires. They don't even have the skinny temporary spare/donut tire and a jack.

The run flat tires can go anywhere from 25 to 200 miles before giving up. Depending on temperature and speed. Bmw flashes a warning asking driver to limit to 50mph.

People carry tire repair kit with a tire sealant and a airpump. Most tire shops refuse to repair if sealant was used because it is a pain to clean.

I recently experienced a flat on a BMW - far away from civilization, and it is a horrible experience.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 20:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does that mean regular sized tyres don't fit into the tyre space provided in the boot.
Very relevant question!
Although in hatchbacks running 185 tyres, it should probably fit in the wheel well, lugging around a (dirty) 215 or wider tyre in the boot if not factored in the packaging, would be quite an ordeal (let's not even talk about the luggage in the boot)

As per OEMs, we cannot swap with the space saver spare and resume our journey as they limit the speed and handling. Then rather than trouble us with the chore, I wish the industry would move to run flats below the premium segments

Last edited by Aditya : 17th August 2021 at 05:19. Reason: Grammar
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 20:23   #22
BHPian

Along these lines, to prevent similar legal issues, car manufacturers might start thinking about removing the spare wheels altogether and substituting them with puncture repair kit.

Ford has already done this recently with the new EcoSport SE trim.

Other benefit, the car makers in India might think, is cost of the spare wheel will be completely removed from the ex-showroom price if they replace them with puncture repair tools.
ashking101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 21:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
Do you really want a 215 or 235 wide tyre occupying your boot space? In many of the luxury cars, they dont even have a well to store the tyre. Space savers are more than sufficient to get you to a service center where you could get your tyre fixed.

As long as you know upfront what you are getting as a spare, I dont see the problem here.
Do you think all cars come with 215/235 size tyres? Do you have any idea how much space is actually saved by these space savers? Do you think handling, steering, braking won't be affected these space savers especially on wet surfaces? Many luxury cars come with run flat tyres which are safer than space savers.

If at all these car makers want to save boot space, they should provide run flat tyres or appropriate repair kits and inflators instead of these spaces savers.

And not everyone is smart enough to know what kind of tyres they are getting as a spare while buying.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 21:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Wrong decision of court, IMO.

More than cost cutting, use of smaller size spare tyres is to ensure uniform replacement schedule of tyres - basically both front or rear tyres at a time.
Due to full size spare, this schedule is disturbed leading to suboptimal driving experience.
That is why 5 wheel rotation is mentioned in the maintenance schedule. If one keeps an old tyre as spare, he can go for 4 wheel rotation which is also given in the maintenance schedule.

I will worry about correct rotation of my tyres, not the manufacturer. Let him just give me what is my due.

Last edited by Gansan : 16th August 2021 at 21:33.
Gansan is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 21:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is why 5 wheel rotation is mentioned in the maintenance schedule. If one keeps an old tyre as spare, he can go for 4 wheel rotation which is also given in the maintenance schedule.

I will worry about correct rotation of my tyres, not the manufacturer. Let him just give me what is my due.
Curious how does a 5 wheel rotation work?
Old 16th August 2021, 21:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
As per OEMs, we cannot swap with the space saver spare and resume our journey as they limit the speed and handling. Then rather than trouble us with chore, I wish the industry would move to run flats below the premium segments
Run Flats can also be a nightmare.
  • If there is the slightest damage to the side wall, it cannot be repaired.
  • If the tread is beyond a certain level it cannot be repaired.
  • If you have a 4 wheel drive, you may be asked to replace all 4 tires, or 2 in case of 2WD.
  • If you used a sealant to repair, the chemical reaction with the rubber and the coating on the TPMS, means that tire and sensor needs replacement.
  • If the temperature increases by driving while flat, the sidewalls will give, making it dangerous. 50mph does not apply to mountainous roads.

Run Flats are an industry invention that depends on people having a cell phone, and ability to summon a flatbed. Also, based on an assumption that lot of people cannot and do not want to change tires. They do not consider a scenario where good samaritans can help with this, when you are stuck in an area without any cell coverage.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 16th August 2021 at 22:06.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 22:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:

The spare tire has less width only in a few cars. My Jazz's tire size is 175/65 R15 but the spare tire is of size 175/70 R14. But the overall dimension between the two is same. In case of punctures, we can carry them in the same wheel well. This is true for almost all the cars. The cars that come with puncture kits, generally don't have a spare tire itself.
saisree is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 22:27   #28
BHPian

As the Run Flats are installed on luxury cars, I think people assume that this has to be the better option. In my experience, that can come as a nasty surprise.

I had a flat on a BMW in an area with no cell coverage. I used an air pump to put some air back in and tried to drive slowly to a place where I could get coverage. In this case, I had to drive 15miles. By then the car started making louder noises, and after a few minutes it would not shift to drive anymore. It automatically switched back to park. I turned the hazard on, and called a flat bed. This was on a single lane highway in Washington state. Below is a picture of the Run Flat. With this tire, I was driving in a scenic one lane highway with ocean on one side and a mountain on the other.
Customer takes carmaker to court over small-sized spare wheel-pirellirunflats.jpg

The range provided for run flats is a ridiculously wide range. 25 miles to 200 miles. In my case, it didn't even last the 25 miles. The speed limit on the roads I was going was 45, and I was going 40. BMW recommends going less than 50mph.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 16th August 2021 at 22:33.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 22:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Curious how does a 5 wheel rotation work?
This is how it works, as given in my Alto user manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Customer takes carmaker to court over small-sized spare wheel-20210816_222218.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 18th August 2021 at 06:23. Reason: As requested
Gansan is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 23:49   #30
BHPian

If its a full size spare, you don't even have to do a 5 tyre rotation, in my case, I did a 4 tyre rotation for 3 years, and when the tyre change was due in 3 years, bought 3 new, same model tyres and used the spare as 4th one, and kept a used tyre as spare,saved 5k in the process. The reason,spare was kept as new because, i never had a puncture, and spare is a non alloy.
RK79 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks