Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2007, 12:56   #1
HSV
BHPian

Santro Xing A/T - Will it be phased out or not?

Hi Guys,

Everyone by now knows (thanks to existing TBHP forums) that Hyundai is going to launch a new Santro around October 2007 (code named the PA). The new Santro would not only be a face lift but will also have an option of their 1.1L diesel engine. The current Santro would continue to be available however there were reports that they may scrap the top-end model.

Not sure whether they mean the XO or the AT when they say top end, as the top-end (meaning most expensive) model is the AT.

I am very curious to know whether the current Santro Xing Automatic Transmission would be eventually phased out completely or not? In case they do plan to phase it out, does anyone know whether they'll offer an AT option in the new PA?

Thanks & regards,
Old 16th May 2007, 13:00   #2
BHPian

I think it will be XO, if at all. AT should continue as it typically appeals to a niche segment.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Santro AT will be phased out!

There are quite lot of takers especially among the ladies and elderly folks.
My Dad-in-law has got one, and he is quite happy with it esp for the City driving in B'lore.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Santro AT should remain. The AT doesnt come in the XO trim(fully loaded) it only comes in the XL trim. So i dont see it being phased out . Of course if its an all new design there will be an AT model s well.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

The fact that so far the competition is not bringing in AT means things do not look too bright for the santro AT.

There was some talk of an automatic[cvt] for the tata's one lakh car.If that makes AT transmission popular then maybe sales of AT cars in this very FE+cost conscious segment catches up and the santro may actually enjoy the first-mover advantage in this segment.
Old 16th May 2007, 17:04   #6
BHPian

hey guys.....

can any body let me know..... if i can convert my existing carb Zen to AT?????
if this conversion is possible then what would be the cost for it???
Old 16th May 2007, 17:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Zen View Post
can any body let me know..... if i can convert my existing carb Zen to AT?????
if this conversion is possible then what would be the cost for it???
Cool Zen, why dont you try and convert your car to a semi-automatic first? THen go for a fully auto new/used car if you are comfortable with that one.
Old 16th May 2007, 17:56   #8
HSV
BHPian

Does anyone know whether it is doing well or not? when I say well, I dont mean as compared to the M/T.

What I mean is that in case if it isnt doing that well, then do you think that an A/T would be introduced in the new design (PA) at all?

Supposing they do introduce an AT in the new Santro (PA), then does it make sense to continue the current AT (since both the current as well as the PA shall coexist)?
Old 16th May 2007, 19:26   #9
BHPian

I think that should be AT , its the fully loaded one than the XO .
XO has many takers than AT interms of numbers
Old 16th May 2007, 19:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

HSV, all we can do for now is speculate. Since the AT does cater to a niche segment, IMO Hyundai will not phase it out altogether.

Between, the thread said AT, and i wasnt supposed to see you as the thread originator.
Old 17th May 2007, 00:20   #11
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Between, the thread said AT, and i wasnt supposed to see you as the thread originator.
Sorry mate, not sure what you mean there.
Old 17th May 2007, 13:48   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Sorry mate, not sure what you mean there.
I meant that since you were really interested in an automatic, i wasnt surprised when i saw that it was you who started the thread.
Old 17th May 2007, 14:42   #13
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I meant that since you were really interested in an automatic, i wasnt surprised when i saw that it was you who started the thread.
Good one! I've been posting left-right-centre about automatics since the past few weeks. No wonder you got me there.

Just that I am trying to get me wife to learn how to drive. I have a spare M800Dx which I am teaching her on (98 model in great condition). However I know she completely hates changing gears along with focussing on the road, alongwith ensuring her car doesnt roll back on a slope, alongwith dodging the idiots, etc.

So was thinking of dumping the M800 and buying her an automatic. Something not too expensive. But not much options here in India. Its either the NHC CVT (too expensive for a first timer), or the Santro AT (based on the XL variant - doesnt even have body coloured bumpers or rear power windows - meant for the handicaps).

So have been desperate to find out if any newer mid segment variant is expected in the near future, before i go ahead and buy the Santro AT. Dont want to be stuck with a model which will depreciate faster due to it being phased out. Frankly if you ask me I'd love to have a Swift Zxi with A/T - ideal for a woman - with all the safety and comfort in place. Wouldnt mind paying extra for the auto trans over and above the current Zxi price, i.e., if MUL was to offer it in the first place.

regards

Last edited by HSV : 17th May 2007 at 14:45.
Old 17th May 2007, 14:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Its either the NHC CVT (too expensive for a first timer), or the Santro AT (based on the XL variant - doesnt even have body coloured bumpers or rear power windows - meant for the handicaps).

So have been desperate to find out if any newer mid segment variant is expected in the near future, before i go ahead and buy the Santro AT. Dont want to be stuck with a model which will depreciate faster due to it being phased out. Frankly if you ask me I'd love to have a Swift Zxi with A/T - ideal for a woman - with all the safety and comfort in place. Wouldnt mind paying extra for the auto trans over and above the current Zxi price, i.e., if MUL was to offer it in the first place.

regards
It is really unfortunate that we don't much Automatic options in India.
I don't understand why Car makers in India are hesitant to give an Automatic option to their cars, after all there is small niche market for A/T cars.

My Dad-in-law was interested to buy a Palio AT or Swift AT, but darn it, it was not available, and so he was forced to buy the Santro AT!
Old 17th May 2007, 15:02   #15
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
It is really unfortunate that we don't much Automatic options in India.
I don't understand why Car makers in India are hesitant to give an Automatic option to their cars, after all there is small niche market for A/T cars.

My Dad-in-law was interested to buy a Palio AT or Swift AT, but darn it, it was not available, and so he was forced to buy the Santro AT!
Exactly!! If I do finally decide to buy the Santro AT - it would definitely be a FORCED decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks