Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 15:31   #1
BHPian

Gifting a car to family member | Will there be tax liability for recipient?

Hi.. I have a specific question which I could not find the exact location where to ask so asking here.. please move to a more suitable subforum if required.
I am a non resident Indian planning to gift an SUV to my brother who is in Delhi, working in a MNC. No special occasion.
Will it attract tax liability for him? Anybody with any experience of a similar situation? Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!
eternalck is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:12   #2
BHPian

re: Gifting a car to family member | Will there be tax liability for recipient?

First up, I'm going to share this with my brother

Gifts to blood relatives are Tax exempt so you should be good.
Tapish is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 21:54   #3
BHPian

Do you need another brother?

Just asking.

Last edited by Ironhide : 1st September 2021 at 22:10.
Ironhide is offline   (170) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 01:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post
Will it attract tax liability for him? Anybody with any experience of a similar situation? Any recommendations appreciated.
Ask your brother to speak to a Chartered Accountant, there is a specific verbiage which needs to be used in the letter which you need to post/courier to him. It goes something like this “Out of natural love and affection to you as your brother, I am gifting you (free text)”. Also mention your bank name, address and account number in the letter.

Please check the exact wordings, your gift to him as a blood relative is tax free for him, whether it’s cash to his bank account via transfer from your NRI account or in your case a car.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 2nd September 2021 at 01:38.
Cyborg is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:50   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gifting a car to family member | Will there be tax liability for recipient?

Here's what my CA says:

Quote:
For blood relation = real brother = gifts are exempt.
Quote:
No income tax if gift is received from brother

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2021 at 13:47. Reason: Removing incorrect info about cousin
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi.. I have a specific question which I could not find the exact location where to ask so asking here.. please move to a more suitable subforum if required.
I am a non resident Indian planning to gift an SUV to my brother who is in Delhi, working in a MNC. No special occasion.

Thanks!

Only Gits to blood relations are exempt form tax. Also, since you are an NRI, I guess it will not be easy for you to buy it directly and maintain the car later on your name. So better to gift the amount directly to him and let him buy the car.
sunilch is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:00   #7
BHPian

Gifts received from relatives are exempt from tax. According to the IT Act, following persons would be considered as relative ​--spouse, brother or sister, brother or sister of the spouse, brother or sister of either of the parents, any lineal ascendant or descendent, any lineal ascendant or descendent of the spouse, spouse of the persons referred above.
r-a-s is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-a-s View Post
Gifts received from relatives are exempt from tax. According to the IT Act, following persons would be considered as relative ​--spouse, brother or sister, brother or sister of the spouse, brother or sister of either of the parents, any lineal ascendant or descendent, any lineal ascendant or descendent of the spouse, spouse of the persons referred above.
This is the correct definition of relative as per the Income Tax Department.
Cousins don't figure but brothers and sisters of parents do, ie the father or mother of the cousin.
matizcrazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:41   #9
BHPian

I think there are work arounds to avoid taxes etc and would advise speaking with a CA.

If you would see lot of Movie producers in lieu of fees give cars to actors this helps actor avoid paying taxes on fees and I am sure producer is also saving money.

So I am sure there is a loophole / a way. Speak with financial consultant.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Do you need another brother?

Just asking.
One is enough. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
First up, I'm going to share this with my brother
Do share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Ask your brother to speak to a Chartered Accountant, there is a specific verbiage which needs to be used in the letter which you need to post/courier to him. It goes something like this “Out of natural love and affection to you as your brother, I am gifting you (free text)”. Also mention your bank name, address and account number in the letter.

Please check the exact wordings, your gift to him as a blood relative is tax free for him, whether it’s cash to his bank account via transfer from your NRI account or in your case a car.

The dealer also mentioned this to be sent to them in am email. Will confirm the exact language. Thanks!

Cheers
Yes the dealer mentioned something on similar lines to be sent to them, I'll check the correct legal language and we should be good. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's what my CA says:
Thanks for the information GTO. A solid quote which has solved many problems for us!

So a 4x4 Endeavour it is for him! Having driven the expedition extensively, we both are on the same page that the endeavour is what comes closest to that experience in India for now.
Supplies appear to be impacted perhaps due to chip shortages at present and with all the Ford drama in India it's certainly not a great time to buy it, I know, but our hearts .

And yeah I just saw the twin turbo being tested thread, talk about mixed messaging. That being said, the power is more than enough for highways as well as some mild off-roading so it fits the bill.

Last edited by eternalck : 3rd September 2021 at 10:29.
eternalck is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Only Gits to blood relations are exempt form tax. Also, since you are an NRI, I guess it will not be easy for you to buy it directly and maintain the car later on your name. So better to gift the amount directly to him and let him buy the car.
Yes it will be under his name. However, I will be directly transferring the amount to the dealer from overseas.
eternalck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it will be under his name. However, I will be directly transferring the amount to the dealer from overseas.
Has your brother done the PDI ( use the team bhp check list)? Isnt only the booking amount required intially?

I would recommend only transfer of the whole amount after PDI.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
It would be tax exempt, however the TCS would be deducted under his PAN and he would need to file it in his next ITR. Since it is filed in his ITR, the IT department can ask for an explanation till 4 years post completion of assessment year.
the pony is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 12:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Then there is no question of any Gift or Tax here. The car will belong to him and you have paid directly to the Dealer. Make sure all receipts (GST or TDS or whatever taxex), invoices, etc are in your brother's name.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 12:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
While I am no expert on tax laws, I remember being told by the salesperson that the NEFT / cheque has to be from the bank account of the person in whose name the car will be registered. In fact, they insisted the same for even road tax, registration payment; also they wanted PAN and Aadhaar of the potential buyer and owner.
High likelihood of attracting an IT notice, specially if the money is paid from a foreign source or NRE account.

Simpler to transfer the money to the brother ( no tax restrictions) and let him buy it.
matizcrazy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks