Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2021, 22:36   #1
BHPian

Amigo by ZoomCar India | Share your car with others & earn money

Zoomcar seems to have survived(for now) and looking for your car to rent it out to their customers.

Amigo by ZoomCar India | Share your car with others & earn money-unnamed.jpg

One can list their own car for earnings.

Most of the basic questions answered here.
iamahunter is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 22:48   #2
BHPian

re: Amigo by ZoomCar India | Share your car with others & earn money

Not any sane person would give their car for public to drive. Unless they are in some dire need for money. This is India, people do not have any courtesy, not all of them, but at least most of them. They give a damn for things that are not theirs.
amvj is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 22:58   #3
BHPian

Is this legal in the first place? I thought rentals can only have yellow on black plates.

Even Quick ride which is just a carpool had many issues in Bangalore.

I am sure insurance will deny any claims for accidents that happen when the car has been hired.
anandhsub is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 01:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

People who love their cars (this forum is full of them), won't even think of letting a stranger drive their car.

Besides, I am not sure if this is legal.

In case of an accident by the Zoom customer, won't the insurance company create a fuss?

What if there is a fatality?
ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 07:02   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amigo by ZoomCar India | Share your car with others & earn money

They've had similar schemes before, where you could let out your car. The reviews weren't good, so they are probably rebranding. As amvj said, Indians aren't good at treating other's property properly, so expect your car to be abused. At best, you would keep a beater / second car for this and not your primary.

But with all the issues around ZoomCar almost facing bankruptcy last year (related thread) and not even refunding 3000 - 5000 bucks of customer money, my biggest doubt would be on the creditworthiness of the organisation. Good luck following up on your payments.

IMHO, best avoided.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 08:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
People who love their cars (this forum is full of them), won't even think of letting a stranger drive their car.
Absolutely! I wonder what the Zoom folks were thinking when they concocted this scheme.

Based on my limited knowledge, in western countries, car rental companies have tie ups with car manufacturers. Quite often, new models are provided for rental. This helps rentals keep their fleet young. Also offers prospective customers an excellent opportunity to try out vehicles which can turn into future sales for the manufacturers. I wonder if Zoom considered this.
RedTerrano is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 08:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This won't simply work out here in India for reasons others have pointed out. I wouldn't even bother to rent out my beater car as well. Zoom desperately targeting people who are in dire need of cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Based on my limited knowledge, in western countries, car rental companies have tie ups with car manufacturers. Quite often, new models are provided for rental. This helps rentals keep their fleet young. Also offers prospective customers an excellent opportunity to try out vehicles which can turn into future sales for the manufacturers. I wonder if Zoom considered this.
There's also Turo where you can rent private cars. They have a pretty good collection right from beater cars to super cars. Some YouTubers would rent a supercar from Turo and does the review. Pretty cool when they were not given any cars directly from the manufacturer or dealer.
naveen.raju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 10:10   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They've had similar schemes before, where you could let out your car. The reviews weren't good, so they are probably rebranding.
There is one BIG difference that can be a gamechanger. In the previous scheme, you were supposed to buy a NEW car and attach it to Zoomcar.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-programs.html (Zoomcar's ZAP Car Leasing Programs)

But now, you can attach up to 7 year old used car.

Amigo by ZoomCar India | Share your car with others & earn money-screenshot_1.jpg

So this new scheme makes sense from RoI point of view since you are generating income from an already depreciated asset. One could even consider scouring the classifieds for a good deal (Chevrolet/Ford, for example) on pre-owned car and then signing up for Amigo program. My old post from the ZAP car thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
It is monthly income + 25% discount. Sounds like a decent deal. Does it have to be a new car? If they are accepting old cars, it makes sense for somebody who owns 5+ year old car (especially if it has low resale value) to sign up for this program.
Gents, do check out the old ZAP car thread. Members have done lots of RoI/cash flow calculations

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th September 2021 at 11:13.
SmartCat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:37   #9
BHPian

This program is not for anyone who likes his/her car.

The car will surly be abused and going by zoomcar experience, payments have no guarantee.

There is nothing good about it, infact there's some worse news.

Quoting some answers from the disputes section of the FAQ for ease of information for the readers.

Quote:
What happens if my car is caught by police?

In case your car is caught by the police under any circumstance-Zoomcar relationship manager and on ground team will assist you at every step in getting the car released.
Quote:
What happens in case my car is stolen?

In case your car is stolen, Zoomcar relationship manager and onground team will assist you in completing all legal formalities and insurance/Zoomcar post internal investigation will compensate as per predetermined car value from the insurance.
All I can see that the zoomcar will only assist, you have to do all the work. Man, that's pure useless, And there's a lot of work as well before the booking and stuff. All the best to the one who wants to take a plunge into this trap. I for one would clearly stay away.
iamahunter is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 08:21   #10
BHPian

It is a given fact that a privately registered car CANNOT be rented out commercially. The law, theoretically as well as in practice of implementation, is very clear on that. No insurance claims will get through in case of any accident, and rightly so.

My sympathies for their business possibly slowing/closing, but this desperate attempt to save the company in an attempt to be "asset-light", is flawed & will likely be detrimental to the car owner.
WorkingGuru is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 08:32   #11
BHPian

More importantly, in COVID times, only the most desperate and/or foolish would subscribe to the idea of renting out their car like this on a regular basis. I wonder why Zoom is trying anything at all, when they haven’t even got their fundamentals right.
Old 28th September 2021, 08:20   #12
BHPian

While on paper this may sound like something prudent, this is not a new model as similar iterations have been seen in the Western countries already. However, in a country where cars are yet an aspirational product for the majority of our population such a model would definitely not work.

The day Indian uncles stop throwing chappals on you from their balconies for leaning on their newly polished car is the day such a model would get mainstream commercial success!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 10:21   #13
BHPian

This is a terrible and extremely poorly thought out idea.

1. Private vehicles in India cannot be used for commercial purposes. Zoomcar is literally courting people to break the law.

2. Indians have no civic sense or duty. We have absolutely zero respect for other people's property. Even if you decide to break the law and rent out your car, please make sure it's your 5 year old poorly maintained beater, else your nice new car will get trashed.

3. As a Zoomcar customer, I'll probably get someone's poorly maintained 5 year old beater.
kadanaJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:29   #14
BHPian

I had once rented a Ford Figo Diesel from Zoomcar because I wanted to get a first hand experience of how this self-drive rental thing works and also because I wanted to get a feel of the car as I had short-listed it.

All I can say is, we as a society just do not have the courtesy to treat something with respect. The 3 year old car smelled like vomit, had been repainted several times, had terribly abused interior panels and also drove worse than an abused garbage truck! The kind of torture that had been inflicted on the poor car was shocking to say the least. It was beyond perception for me that how can a three year old car feel so aged?!

Nobody in their right minds would ever rent their car out to them. If one is cash strapped, it makes more sense to sell your car off or buy a yellow board car to attach with a cab aggregator. A vehicle that is also used by oneself just shouldn't be rented out.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 28th September 2021 at 12:31.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post

Nobody in their right minds would ever rent their car out to them. If one is cash strapped, it makes more sense to sell your car off or buy a yellow board car to attach with a cab aggregator. A vehicle that is also used by oneself just shouldn't be rented out.
Rightly summed up. There was a similar scheme in the past. Before I would let my car out for rent, wanted to try this whole thing by booking a car offered through this service. The car that arrived was in a pathetic condition to say the least. I was able to imagine the abuse my car would go through when attached to this scheme immediately. Silently disabled my account after this booking
starrys987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks