Team-BHP - Importing a car under 'Transfer of Residence'
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Importing a car under 'Transfer of Residence' (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/24239-importing-car-under-transfer-residence.html)

Hello boys..

its alsmost been a year since i got me dream...My R32 Gtr...and have love every single day with her...spent ages looking for her...

Insurance is too high on these things and mine is about to run out....same with registration....i have driven less than 4000 kms in a year on her and don't really wanna renew it again...dont make sense...(its alsmost costing $1 per kilometer on insurance) i had a couple of options...

option 1: A HKS 2.8ltr strker kit with all the other periperals...costing about $8000 - $10000

option 2: no stroker kit...Bring the car back home...(unsure of costs - help required)

HELP / INFO:

I am a permanant australian resident and am considering coming back home for good by the end of next year...i just wanted to know if any of you'll or your mates have brought / bought a car using a TR before and would be willing to share some information or help in bring my GTR back home...

I just have to weigh the financial factors involved...so i can decide on the following options...

Option 1: Bite my lip and SELL HER and bag the cash....
Option 2: Bring it back home with me at the end of next year...
Option 3: Reinsure it for another year and decide all over again (Coz its really not possible to keep the car and not re-insure it or re-register it....too tempting..)

Would really appreciate any feedback, help, information regarding charges etc.. (even doddgy / naughty ideas or loopholes in our system on imports via PM or even here...)

Thanks heaps in advance guys...

Dont sell her...just bring her back home! I guess Australian cars are RHD? If so then bringing the car in via TR wont be a problem. Just ensure that you have an agent doing the running around for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R32_GTR (Post 442875)
I am a permanant australian resident and am considering coming back home for good by the end of next year...i just wanted to know if any of you'll or your mates have brought / bought a car using a TR before and would be willing to share some information or help in bring my GTR back home...

Bring it home by all means - its cheaper to import old vehicles on TR as duty is based on the price as 'evaluated' by the Customs office in question - therefore subject to 'negotiation'. Strip it off all extras and ship those separately as unaccompanied cargo, then ship the car down as a regular skyline which is 15 (uh oh - is there a rule for cars being less than a particular age?) years old and therefore you cant pay more than a lakh in duty.
How can passenger cars/Jeep/Multi-utility vehicles/motor cycles/scooters/ mopeds etc. be imported as baggage ?

Passenger cars / jeeps / multi-utility vehicles / motor cycles etc. can be imported by passengers coming to India only on Transfer of Residence and by other importers as specified in Public Notice No. 3(RE/1997-02) of Directorate General of Foreign Trade, New Delhi, on payment of customs duty as prescribed in the Customs tariff. Passengers, other than those availing TR are not eligible to import vehicles even on the payment of customs duty. Total customs duty leviable on these vehicles at present, are as follows :

Customs duty for vehicles which had been registered abroad

Vehicle

Basic Duty

Addl. Duty

Total Duty
Cars 105% 24.48% # 159.87% #
Motor cycles / scooters / moped 105% 16.32% # 142.64% #
Customs duty for vehicles which had not been registered abroad

Vehicle

Basic Duty

Addl. Duty

Total Duty
Cars 60% ** 24.48% # 102.16% #
Motor cycles / scooters / moped 60% ** 16.32% # 88.70% #

** if brought in Completely Knocked Down (CKD) condition, Basic Duty will be 20%.
# Education Cess of 2% imposed in the budget has been considered.

DGFT has clarified vide Notification No-31(RE-2001)/97-02 dated 14.9.2001 that the conditions relating to import of vehicles as per Public Notice No. 4(RE-2001)/97-02 dated 31.03.2001, shall not be applicable on imports made under the provisions of aforementioned Public Notice No. 3(RE/1997-02) dated 31.03.2000. In simple words, the restrictions/conditions imposed on import of car by importers for commercial purpose shall not be applicable in case of the passengers bringing their own car on Transfer of Residence, except that these imports shall be subject to the condition that, the vehicle should have right hand steering and controls (applicable on vehicles other than 2 and 3 wheelers).

Value of these vehicles for the purpose of levy of customs duty is CIF value, where C stands for the cost of the goods, I is the insurance and F is the freight. Cost in the case of new vehicle is the transaction value between the seller and the buyer. However in the case of old and used vehicles, cost is arrived at by taking value of the vehicle in year of manufacture and after allowing depreciation at the following rates.

(i) For every quarter during 1st year -

4%

(ii) For every quarter during 2nd year -

3%

(iii) For every quarter during 3rd year -

2.5%

(iv) For every quarter during 4th year -
and thereafter

2%
subject to a maximum depreciation of 70%

Steeroid

what might be missed out is the aspect of emission compliance and some safety complinace requring testing etc. Unless more "negotiation" at the RTO is required

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 443473)
what might be missed out is the aspect of emission compliance and some safety complinace requring testing etc. Unless more "negotiation" at the RTO is required

Leave that to the RTO agents. Once the car is in the country the rest of it is a matter of time.

Max depreciation is capped at 70% of original value, so you need to bring your original value down too.

Are you ready for this ? there could be a lot of running around & paperwork done before you can clear the car from customs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
I guess Australian cars are RHD?

All Skylines are RHD, so no prob there.

R32, here's the best procedure.

1) Bring her down. Not that much of a prob. But you've to show the car's been in your possession for more than 2 yrs. And then there's the problem of make. Older than 10 yrs, and import is an issue. Nevertheless, get her down through Chennai docks, and papers are easily "clearable". There are quite a couple of cars who've, erm.."cleared"..

2) AFTER bringing her down, get the 2.8 stroker kit (assuming you're hinting at the RB26 DETT) with the money that you save on insurance over the next year. Voila. And oh, make sure that you roll test the car over there before bringing it down (rolling dyno- I assume you got that). And bench test the powertrain as well....

3) Make it in time by S.R. 09. Assuming the RB'll be pumping 400+ at the wheel, clock late 11's to early 12's.

4) With a smile on your face, polish the S.R. trophy while calculating the insurance money saved from Australia.

Done, mite.

Just bring along some spares too, which might need replacement over a period of time or so..Just incase you don't find them here..!

Also You can bring the Car free under Transfer if you are an NRI with minimal amount of duty, But since you are an Australian Citizen, The rules might be different.

You will need to apply to ARAI for Road Fitness Certificate and the Local RTO- along with NOC from the Traffic authority from your existing location.

Like GTO Suggested get in touch with a good Cargo Clearning Agent to help out the transfer of all your goods and possesions you bring back.

Will You be allowed to drive without insurance, Lets say you park it up and don't drive at all,at the time of Exporting it from Australia, Will there be any documentation that needs Valid Insurance and Fitness certificate.

wow man,bring it here dude.
will it be the first skyline here in india?

Contact Godfather - who'd had something with a supercharged, NOSed, 19" rear-wheels with 16" front-wheels combo, Hemi engined LHD from the US a few years back. And it wasnt even street legal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by payam (Post 443895)
will it be the first skyline here in india?

No.. There are few skylines in south india.

Sorry for going OT :

This is the only one that I have come across with pictures.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ne-bombay.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-gtr-sale.html

Thanks guys...

Especially Steeroid....You seem to have a better understanding of all this than i do...i might have to find an agent to do it...coz it really seems like a hell of lot of of work....

For those who asked or are wondering if it would be feasible to keep her here for another year???

Answer: Yes, BUTTTT....I am only 26 and do not make a 6 figure salary...it's really unsafe to keep a car like this without comprehensive insurance in Sydney...too many get stolen...esp imports like the GTR... i live in the city so dont have my own garage (a temporary solution to all my problems)...i will also have to pay for parking @ $240 per month for as long as i have her with me..and not be able to drive it if i don't renew the rego and insurance... All in all too many freakin expenses....

Anyways.....

This is her at the eastern creek parking area (Sunday, 20th May 2007)....after a wash and wax....

just met up with a few GTR / skyline owners / friends...

Ran a 13.02 with me driving...could have done better!!!!!

Could be me last run.....Or not......

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 443909)
Contact Godfather - who'd had something with a supercharged, NOSed, 19" rear-wheels with 16" front-wheels combo, Hemi engined LHD from the US a few years back. And it wasnt even street legal.

RHD.. LHD is not allowed for import.
ANyway..it is better to get the car imported here considering the price you will pay and fear of theft.. Hell since i know the place where its parked i will steal itlol: .. You have 2 ways to get the car down.

1. Get it down in the ways that steer has mentioned.. transfer of residence will also work wonders.. and the car is going to be with the DRI before they give the street legal and road worthyness certificate which u will need to register the car later on.
Mumbai port is the best to get the car in.. less headaches. make sure you have all the papers and documents ready.. (+ some cash) u know for what.

2. get it in as a spare part car.. many here will not agree with me on this but this is one hassle free way to get the car down.
This will come into effect here "Max depreciation is capped at 70% of original value, so you need to bring your original value down too."

I know this will hurt and people will tell that Godfather has gone mad..
Take a blow torch.. Burn the paint on roof sides bonnet where ever u like it..Strip the interiors.. remove all screwes from A/C panels and let it just hang with wires.. remove Airfilter.. pack it in your bag. remove door pads..(follow same as done for A/C ducts)

Once the car is in with a value much more depreciated.. get it repainted..and get all the above fixed.. This will save you more than what you will pay in duty.. Trust me.. One Mivec came into India this way.. and was completely restored for 20G.

Godfather

Thank God the Mivec wasnt mine. Anyway, Goddy, if you do bring it in as spares there is a fine and penalty which can range from a minimum of 25 to 200%. The best way to do this is to consult a clearing agent who has knowledge of bringing in cars legally. He will be able to guide you to the best of his knowledge.

Please do not underestimate the authorities. They are smarter than we think. They know cars in and out, to the extent that skylines come with twin turbo's and Blitz intercoolers are aftermarket.

Also please remeber that the value one declares is never accepted by the customs. They always call for re valuation by their authorised external counter parts, and as you can guess, their valuation is alwasy higher than what you have declared.

We have been through the entire excercise one too many a time. Would love to see that R32 in India and if possible drive it too.