Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 10:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Now get a lifetime warranty on Volvo genuine parts

For the first time in India, Volvo is offering a lifetime warranty on genuine parts.

Now get a lifetime warranty on Volvo genuine parts-2020volvos6005.jpg

The 'Customer lifetime parts warranty' scheme covers parts bought after the standard warranty period and installed at an authorized workshop. It is applicable on genuine parts purchased from October 1, 2021.

The warranty commences on the date of purchase of the part and remains till the time the ownership of the car does not change. It covers both the part and the labour cost. If a genuine part fails or needs repair, it will be replaced or repaired free of charge.

The 'Customer lifetime parts warranty' scheme is not applicable on normal wear and tear parts, consumables, batteries, accessories and software not associated with a hardware replacement. Parts replaced under a new car warranty, extended or goodwill warranty is not be covered under this scheme.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 13th October 2021 at 10:16.
TusharK is online now   (46) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 10:18   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Now get a lifetime warranty on Volvo genuine parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The warranty commences on the date of purchase of the part and remains till the time the ownership of the car does not change. It covers both the part and the labour cost. If a genuine part fails or needs repair, it will be replaced or repaired free of charge.
Kudos to Volvo! Once out of warranty, luxury cars are too expensive to be maintained at authorised dealerships. But this would surely make people reconsider. Example, if I owned a Volvo and my air-con compressor failed, I'd probably get it replaced at the dealership itself at 2X the cost because I keep my cars for long and in luxury cars, air-con compressors & condensors are common failure points.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 10:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
.... remains till the time the ownership of the car does not change.
Why?! Every part change is noted in the service records so I don't see why this benefit should not get passed on to the next owner?
As a seller, it's a feather in my cap if I tell the buyer I have replaced the gearbox but now you have lifetime warranty on it.

Regardless, its a great move by Volvo and shows their confidence in their quality of parts. It also encourages customers to service at authorised Volvo workshop and also buy new instead of used.
Sahil is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 14:17   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Why?! Every part change is noted in the service records so I don't see why this benefit should not get passed on to the next owner?
Because first owners usually keep their cars only for 5 - 7 years, with some enthusiasts like us doing 10 years.

Volvo doesn't want to replace parts when the car is with its 5th owner & 17 years old!
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 17:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Because first owners usually keep their cars only for 5 - 7 years, with some enthusiasts like us doing 10 years.

Volvo doesn't want to replace parts when the car is with its 5th owner & 17 years old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Both of you have valid points. But I am confused what Volvo is trying to convey as a broader message. Which of the below message are they trying to give?

Message A : Our genuine parts are amazing and really last so long that we can give you lifetime guarantee but only as long as you don't sell. Once you sell, we cannot vouch for the longevity of the those same parts!

Message B : We want to offer extra incentive to our direct buyers and have decided to offer lifetime warranty on our car parts no matter what state they are in.

So Vouching for the parts or Vouching for the customers?
RaghuVis is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:08   #6
BHPian

Volvos to get lifetime free parts replacement? What is the catch here?

Hats off Volvo, this is a good way to retain customers/peace of mind for original owners.

Quote:
Volvo Cars warrants that all parts installed at an authorised Volvo workshop will be free from defects in material or workmanship. The coverage includes the labour to replace the covered replacement part. The warranty does not cover accessories, wear & tear parts or consumables. There is no coverage for parts needing replacement due to any outside influence.
Source:Volvo

One catch been:

Quote:
Volvo car by the original owner of the vehicle will be replaced by the company free of charge should it need replacement for any reason over the lifetime of the vehicle - as long as it remains under the original owner's care.
Source:Overdrive

Volvo has been epitome of safety.If they can add reliability too then I sure they can compete well with Lexus/Toyota.

Will this drive sales or is this just marketing BS? I wish other manufacturers can do the same. ( one can always dream )

Last edited by SideView : 14th October 2021 at 09:18.
SideView is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volvos to get lifetime free replacement? What is the catch here?

Anything better than nothing works. Volvo may not sell in number nor is in the consumer segment. They are premium cars and at their price range there are enough competition to chose from. The ones buying these cars hardly keep it beyond 3 to 5 years and generally the wealthy business men/women. It may be an attraction or may be not. But it is a good gesture. I do not think the volume movers will ever take these decisions.
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 14:40   #8
BHPian

Somthing similar to VW in Europe. All parts I buy from VW are covered by a 5 year warranty even if fitted by yourself. They only check if the fitting was correctly done. I have claimed once.

If so, they will replace the part for you free of charge for parts and labour.
Indian2003 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 07:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
But I am confused what Volvo is trying to convey as a broader message
Volvo is asking you to get the car serviced at the ASC by paying big bucks for a little perceived peace of mind.

Let us assume that Volvo has a standard warranty of 3 years. If an aircon compressor fails at the 4 year mark, the customer gets a 'lifetime' warranty when he/she pays for the replacement job at the Volvo ASC. (vs a fraction of the cost at an FNG!!!)

Assuming the new compressor will easily 4 years, and most owners sell their cars before the 8 year mark(Volvo must have done their research), this warranty has no meaning unless the replaced part is defective or improperly designed.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 16:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent step by Volvo. I say this as a customer of one of their cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Volvo has been epitome of safety.If they can add reliability too then I sure they can compete well with Lexus/Toyota.
Will this drive sales or is this just marketing BS? I wish other manufacturers can do the same. ( one can always dream )
Yes Volvo are the epitome of safety and where reliability goes they give close competition to Toyota/Lexus as I see from direct personal experience and their cars are now gorgeous to look at and sit in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Volvo is asking you to get the car serviced at the ASC by paying big bucks for a little perceived peace of mind.
Let us assume that Volvo has a standard warranty of 3 years. If an aircon compressor fails at the 4 year mark, the customer gets a 'lifetime' warranty when he/she pays for the replacement job at the Volvo ASC. (vs a fraction of the cost at an FNG!!!)
Owners of Volvo's I guess keep their cars longer than 4 years based on my anecdotal observations. If the car runs like a horse, looks good, parts don't fail then you tend not to think of its replacement. Also buyers who are spending some number between Rs 40L to Rs 100L on a car are, with some exceptions, normally not in the market for FNG repairs. They value their time and peace of mind more. That is why this will have some value for a typical Volvo customer like me.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th October 2021 at 16:14.
V.Narayan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 09:01   #11
BHPian

A move that is definitely welcome! Gone are the days where cars would require an upgrade every 5-7 years, the cars that have come out in the past decade or so are of such great quality that owners drive them for 10+ years.

Volvo starting such kind of a policy definitely makes them an industry leader as this is a best practice IMHO. Luxury/Premium car owners already pay a bomb to purchase their cars in India and post the 5-7 year mark sometimes repeated mechanical problems burn a hole in the pockets.

This definitely will offer customers peace of mind and facilitate the second+ hand sales of Volvo cars while giving customers a reason to deal directly with an authorized workshop instead of opting for cheaper local garages once the warranty period is over.
Old 17th October 2021, 13:15   #12
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If an aircon compressor fails at the 4 year mark, the customer gets a 'lifetime' warranty when he/she pays for the replacement job at the Volvo ASC
The article mentions it covers labour or am I missing something?
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 13:16   #13
BHPian

I received this offer on e-mail as well

As a recent Volvo customer I am happy with this move. Repairs are inevitable part of owning a car, but as GTO mentioned this gives me enough incentive to go for those high cost repairs from Volvo during the ownership tenure. Especially attractive for people who tend to keep their car for longer duration (someone like me). I plan to keep my car around for 10 years and this will give me peace of mind even if I am shelling out some extra bucks.

Now get a lifetime warranty on Volvo genuine parts-capture.jpg
gismosin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 18:34   #14
BHPian

I was reading this as fan of Volvo XC40. But turned out it's for first owners and not for others. Would have been sweet if it was offered for standard years like 10 or 15 years irrespective of ownership.

The rich owners of Volvo's normally don't think to service anywhere outside (my friend drives pre-worshipped XC90) Even if they think Volvo wants them to think twice about that with this move.

I would say it needs some sort of thugness to give this kind of warranty by a luxury brand that too in India. Another feather in Vovlo's cap.

Last edited by Ritz2010 : 17th October 2021 at 18:35. Reason: Spell check
Old 17th October 2021, 19:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Both of you have valid points. But I am confused what Volvo is trying to convey as a broader message. Which of the below message are they trying to give?

Message A : Our genuine parts are amazing and really last so long that we can give you lifetime guarantee but only as long as you don't sell. Once you sell, we cannot vouch for the longevity of the those same parts!

Message B : We want to offer extra incentive to our direct buyers and have decided to offer lifetime warranty on our car parts no matter what state they are in.

So Vouching for the parts or Vouching for the customers?
Naturally Volvo simply wants to disincetivise used cars & encourage new car sales. Furthermore, multiple ownerships increase the liability of Volvo in replacement of parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks