Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 15:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bharat Petroleum launches UFill automated fueling tech

Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) has launched a new automated fueling system called 'UFill'.

Name:  ufill.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  87.8 KB

UFill does not require a specific app. Instead, the user can pay using any payment app installed on their phone, i.e. GPay, PayTM, PhonePe, etc. Payments can be done using a real-time QR code and voucher code through SMS. If the amount paid in advance is partially used, the balance amount is refunded to the bank account of the customer.

According to BPCL, UFill provides customers with control of fueling with the dispensing unit getting automatically pre-set for the value of fuel paid for by them in advance and eliminates the need for manual intervention. There's no need to check zero before fueling or the final reading as the dispenser automatically dispenses the exact quantity of fuel.

BPCL has launched UFill in 65 cities. It will soon be introduced across the country.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 18th October 2021 at 15:51.
TusharK is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 16:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Bharat Petroleum launches UFill automated fueling tech

Would be a very useful feature for crowded city fuel stations, Especially during peak hours. Hopefully leading to much quicker turnaround times, Need to see how glitchfree and user friendly the system is.
JShah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 18:28   #3
BHPian

welcome move from BPCL but they should also give the option of using credit card at these UFill machines. Also to keep some parking spaces for that inevitable 'something went wrong' situation where someone needs to step in. Otherwise it will only lead to long queues rather than reducing the lead times.
zadoom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 18:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't see what the big fuss is about, most pumps already have PAYTM and other QR codes displayed for customers to use for payment.

I have been using the HP Fastlane App since the past two years and love it! I get cashback of 0.75% within the app that gets added to my balance, the interface is great and easy to use. Just a simple small sticker which is quarter the size of a Fastag is scanned when stuck to your windshield and you are good to go.

I wish they had this for BP and IOCL too. Or perhaps if Fastag becomes an aggregator and tie up with these oil companies to enable such payments across all pumps.
Sahil is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 02:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its a good move.

Another way to do this is to link the vehicle registration to the system. Camera's are smart enough these days to detect registered plates and release the auto dispense system as and when the customer walks in. Combine this with face detection and you take out the possibility of someone else trying to fill their vehicle with fake plates.
Old 19th October 2021, 08:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Automated fuelling tech / system sounds so much like zero human intervention during fuelling, so the nozzle does not have to be touched by human hand! If there's an attendant to tamper with the process of filling, or someone can tamper with the pump calibration, what's the point of having automated payment collection?

In any case, once I receive my tankful, I tap my credit card, take my printed bill, and drive away. It's quick and painless enough, without the additional headache of opening an app and tapping on the screen. So why complicate things?
SS-Traveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 16:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Automated fuelling tech / system sounds so much like zero human intervention during fuelling, so the nozzle does not have to be touched by human hand! If there's an attendant to tamper with the process of filling, or someone can tamper with the pump calibration, what's the point of having automated payment collection?

In any case, once I receive my tankful, I tap my credit card, take my printed bill, and drive away. It's quick and painless enough, without the additional headache of opening an app and tapping on the screen. So why complicate things?
This tech has couple of benefits over other modes:

1. Since as a customer scans QR code prior to fuelling thus Zero meter reading is ensured before fuelling. (Does away with human intervention of preset / ensuring zero which is a major point of malpractice)

2. At a later date, the filling point can be made attendant free.

3. Once the fuelling is completed, if the nozzle auto cuts / tank gets full, any balance amount is refunded back to customer's account directly. (No hassle of handling change)

4. In case the prepaid voucher is not used, the money gets refunded back to customer's account within 48 hours. (Money not stuck in wallets)

5. Transparency in fuelling if you are sending your driver / staff to get the vehicle fuelled in your absence since you will be sharing the QR code with the driver and no play can be done in filled quantity.

6. This tech is mainly targeted at 2 wheelers where fill size is less and numbers are high. In order to reduce fuelling time (only 20-30% time is spent while filling the tank, rest is spent in que / making payment getting receipts), this is an efficient way to encourage prepayment and reduce time spent at petrol pump.

7. Lastly for people who are averse to tap-n-go transactions (Have disabled NFC payments for fear of fraud) or who are averse of touching surfaces (COVID!!!) this is a boon without getting stuck with one or the other payment wallets.

In the end it is all about convenience.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th December 2021 at 05:18. Reason: Corrected typos as per Reported Post.
roamer012 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 17:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Would work well for those who fill a fixed, pre-determined quantity of fuel. Many do this.

However, for people like me - "Top-up" is the way we go.
Folks, no comments pls about the "dangers of filling to the brim". I have been doing it for the past 16 years, both because I find the top-up method best suited to track FE, and also because it takes just a few seconds after starting from the bunk for the fuel in the neck to go down into the tank.
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 11:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Would work well for those who fill a fixed, pre-determined quantity of fuel. Many do this.

Folks, no comments pls about the "dangers of filling to the brim". I have been doing it for the past 16 years, both because I find the top-up method best suited to track FE, and also because it takes just a few seconds after starting from the bunk for the fuel in the neck to go down into the tank.
Does a full tank impact the FE when exclusively running in City traffic with the additional load?
Old 20th October 2021, 11:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
Does a full tank impact the FE when exclusively running in City traffic with the additional load?
Better consistency in measurement when you regularly monitor your FE, since the point of reference in filling is more visible. I have noticed auto-cut-off to be a little inconsistent. A second reason is - with my running I prefer to get the tank as full as normally can. Normally, as in - no shake-shake-shake like the cabbies would do

Btw, what is the additional load ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 10:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers! Same here. My typical response to the fuel attendant is Tank-full till auto cut-off. I use fuelio app and it's always better to do tankfulls to know exact fuel efficiency.

I wish BP gave some fuel card type offer to the ones who consume a lot of fuel. I always use BP bunk (exactly one bunk to be precise) and consume about 250-300 liters of fuel a month. I don't remember any scheme that is currently active for people like us.

Also auto cut-off will be inconsistent if you change bunks or even change filling stations within the same bunk. I have experienced it. I make it a point that I refill at the same station in the same bunk always. The fuel efficiency then will be accurate!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st October 2021 at 10:53.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 14:30   #12
BHPian

Hi all,

Used Ufill app today for the first time and noticed a refund of Rs 3.75 for a payment of Rs 500. Is there any discount?
Old 19th December 2021, 08:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns94 View Post
Hi all,

Used Ufill app today for the first time and noticed a refund of Rs 3.75 for a payment of Rs 500. Is there any discount?
0.75% Digital payment incentive.
Old 19th December 2021, 09:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha! I have been doing it for the past thirtyfive years! I do it whenever the tank reaches half mark for the bike as well as car! To the brim! Shake and fill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
What additional load? Most car tanks have a full tank capacity of about 35 litres. The weight may be 35 kg or less, the weight of a child or boy! Do we always carry the full compliment of passengers? This will hardly count.

Edit: Does this mean self service petrol pumps? No attendants? Are we ready for that?

Last edited by Gansan : 19th December 2021 at 09:15.
Old 9th March 2023, 12:48   #15
BHPian

Reviving this old thread. Have been using Ufill for a few months now. I have BPCL app which I use for booking domestic cylinders, the same app has the feature to get Ufill vouchers so using it. The process via app is pretty simple
  • Enter the voucher amount in app
  • make payment using UPI.
  • you will receive an SMS with a link. Open the link to get QR
  • Show this QR at the BPCL outlet
  • The attendant will scan the QR, the fuel pump is synced with the device so the pump will automatically show the voucher amount. Zero manual intervention.
  • Auto cutoff will be done when fuel is filled for voucher amount
  • Ready to go

Alternately you can scan the QR available at the outlet and make the payment. You will receive the SMS and rest of the process remains same. If you take this route, you have to wait(they will ask to move off the queue during this process and will be attending to other customers , sms delays will be there sometimes ) , so I recommend having the voucher QR before you reach the outlet. The QR is for one time use, so it becomes invalid if you open after use.

Pros
  • Saves time
  • Machine defaults to zero before filling. the amount is also auto populated, so zero chances of operator fraud.
  • Free fuel of .4% or so. I get voucher for 300rs. I get fuel for 302rs
  • No extra charges (you pay extra while paying with normal debit/credit card)
  • most attendants are aware of the process, irrespective of gender and age.
  • After filling you get a digital receipt via sms. You can open the link to download pdf receipt.

Cons
  • Not all machines are enabled for Ufill with in the same outlet. You need to find the machine and go to that specific queue.
  • If you go to a non Ufill machine, you will be redirected to the Ufill machine. So you will end up waiting in 2 different queues
  • Some scanners are abused and have their camera lenses damaged, so there might be a difficulty in getting the QR scanned. Recommend turning up your device brightness to make the scanning easy.
d.w.w. is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed