Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2021, 19:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Did a tempting discount ever make you change your original car choice?

Back in 2015 bought S-Cross instead of Baleno because of better value after discounts.
drsnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 20:03   #32
BHPian

For me its other way around.

I finalize the car and then look for discount, like year end offers, corporate discounts, exchange bonus etc.

Buying a car just for 5-20% discount and wasting the other 80% does not make sense.

I have realized that no one gives a single rupee free, if something is discounted than there is a equal and opposite flaw reason for that. We can pay end up paying more, but there is no way we can pay less, particularly in an organized branded market like cars.
xway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 20:06   #33
BHPian

Bought the Kodiaq only because was offered a great price while also exchanging for my Santa Fe in Dec'19. Very happy with the deal as its a BS4 model and my favourite Black color.
Old 24th October 2021, 21:10   #34
BHPian

Can we please list such lucrative deals here, which should entice the buyers to switch their choice?

I have booked an XUV700 top model at 28L on road, but not very happily, due to the small 3rd row. Can Tiguan allspace be grabbed by streching my budget a bit?
pseudo_coder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 01:08   #35
BHPian

Ford Fiesta S in place of Honda City

This was way back in 2010. I was considering a Honda City, but then switched to Ford Fiesta S not because of discount but because of fabulous reviews on Team-Bhp. The top comment that really made me change my decision was "It's a poor man's BMW".

It was a great choice and I cherished the car for 8 years.

And yes, I also got great discount on my purchase and discount was the icing on the cake.
Old 25th October 2021, 10:03   #36
BHPian

CR-V instead of Kodiaq
I needed a 5+2 premium diesel SUV back in 2019 just before transition to BS6. Kodiaq was ~42L on-road and CR-V (diesel, AWD) was ~40L. I test drove both and Kodiaq felt marginally better. With 3L difference, it was a no-brainer. A dealer then offered CR-V in my desired color at 32L on-road. Now, CR-V was a no-brainer!
gnome is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 10:06   #37

Timing Dec 2019 - The Tiguan was running at a good discount. Almost 31L all in cost in Mumbai compared to the full price of ~39-40L for the Highline version.

Was almost convinced of booking one, before I started exploring an X1 TD vehicle. Didn't buy the TD model and instead got a new one at Tiguan +2L on road.

Yes, it is a BSIV model and hence the hefty discount and of course June 2020 they made some cosmetic changes to the X1. So far so good though, enjoying the experience.
vp_morpheus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 10:34   #38
BHPian

Oh boy, I am a prime example of being swayed by discounts. I did this just last year, and it wasn't just a class above or below, it was an entirely different segment. I "used to" consider myself as a pretty pragmatic buyer and after analyzing my needs decided a large 7 seater SUV would be a good choice. After initially booking a Gloster, had decided on the Fortuner facelift and was waiting for bookings to open. Was keeping myself busy on the bhp forums when I read reviews of 2 series. Was not impressed with the vehicle much but the comparisons to the 3 made me rethink and reached out to the dealer more as a curiosity.

It was practical family mover vs a sport coupe that was always listed on the bucket list. The dealer was able to find one of the rare 330i Sport in Pune, had it brought over and further sweetened the deal. It was just a few lakhs north of Fortuner and a mid-life-crisis guilt card from me made my better half relent. Looking back, it was a great decision and the discounts to bring the car below the 50 lakh mental barrier really helped.

Sure, I can't haul my extended family on trips or have a usable trunk for shopping, but each time I drive around a corner, I get that smile of satisfaction that I couldn't get in my original choices.
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 14:29   #39

Back in 2019, I was looking for my first car. My initial thought was to buy a pre owned car, either Swift or Grand i10 with few years ownership and less kms on odo. The choices and cost left me less interested, aided with my doubts on niggles and hassles that pre-owned cars can come with.

My cousin had bought his Grand i10 a year back and we went to the dealer to check out the newly launched Santro. Grand i10 was getting steep discounts due to the upcoming Nios. I did check out Tiago with a keen interest on Tata, but the dealership experience left me with a bad taste. Leaving apart the shoddy guidance from the Sales Rep, I remember asking him about any discounts on offer. He said the car comes with Triple 3 scheme (3 years Warranty, service and RSA) and that itself is a good deal And further added that he can offer some discount if I book on the same day. After increasing my budget for a new car, I found that Grand i10 was only a few thousand expensive than Santro and I was getting a much better car. And my cousin's ownership experience also convinced me. Ended up getting Grand i10 due to the 1L discount I got and I've been happy with my purchase.
Old 25th October 2021, 15:41   #40
BHPian

Circa 2019. We were casually scouting for a replacement for our 2012 WagonR VXi with around 36,000 km on the odo. There was no reason for us to change it, but it was just an itch to replace it with a newer model. The only criteria were a car with the smallest footprint and one with easy ingress and egress (the WagonR had spoilt my dad, who had just stepped into his 60s) we needed something was the smallest footprint possible. Also, it would be an urban commuter purely with no highway trips whatsoever. In fact, the Wagon R never went past Hosur in its 7 years with us.

Anyway, coming back to the point, our most logical upgrade option was the new WagonR. It came with all the upgrades that made the car feel fresher than the model we had and it still ticked the two most important criteria. The 1.2-liter engine in the lineup was the cherry on top.

However, things took an interesting turn when we were passing by a Nexa showroom near our place. They had heavy discounts running on the car and the 1.2 Alpha was working out to be on par with the top-spec 1.2 WagonR (IIRC, the Ignis was coming up to be a few thousand cheaper). The Ignis was an upgrade in every way and was too sweet a deal to let it go. Even got accessories worth 10k (opted for seat covers and a rear spoiler), and upgraded the stock tires to Yokohama 185/55 section rubber within the first week.

And, here we are, 2.5 years into the ownership and ~11,500 km on the odo. Our running is very less even though it's our daily driver (Home and office are just 2 kms apart). While the footprint box is ticked well, I still hear dad whining every time he steps into the car lol. If not for the discounts on the Ignis, we'd probably be driving around a 2019 WagonR.

Did a tempting discount ever make you change your original car choice?-photo20190519145627.jpg

The first time I saw it in the yard ^

Last edited by satrikon_454 : 25th October 2021 at 15:43.
satrikon_454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 16:05   #41
BHPian

Polo GT TDI vs Highline TDI

This was 2015, we had finished one of our home loans, and we wanted an Upgrade, from our Figo Petrol. This was when Diesel cars were trending, and we were sorely missing one, for the kind of usage.

When we went for a test drive, asking for the GT TDI, the sales person took us for a Vento Test drive, and convinced us that the Vento engine was the exact one in the GT Polo. I was particularly blown by the power, and the acceleration on the short circuit then. But then he made a case that the GT TDI was made to order, and was not coming with any discounts, while on the Highline TDI, we would get the discuounts upto 60 Thousand, and an overall gap of a 1.5Lakh, and a 2 month waiting period convinced me that it would be the GT TDI.

Now 70K Kms later, I am still wondering if the GT TDI would have made more sense back then, or was it the right choice to stick with the highline TDI and finish the Car loan well in advance, which then helped later big purchases.
Old 25th October 2021, 23:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I have booked an XUV700 top model at 28L on road, but not very happily, due to the small 3rd row. Can Tiguan allspace be grabbed by streching my budget a bit?
Doubt it.

I couldn't find a Tiguan even for a test drive in Bangalore. Would probably be the same in other cities.
yogishkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 19:53   #43
BHPian

[quote=tp_dominator;5178572]Maximum budget was at 7 lakhs give or take a few thousands. The only car fitting in that criteria was the Tata Tiago XZ diesel.

So true even at the end of 2019 when i actually got pulled into the deal because of discounts offered by TATA on a BS IV Diesel Tiago. TATA is known for its Diesel engines and i happy with my choice. I got a small Diesel, good average and most importantly a safe car for my family.

Old gen Grand i10 was not available with Hyundai dealer at that time
SulemanP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 21:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

It did in my case though the original choices werent very many in the first place in the MUV segment.
So I didn't want the Ertiga and Marazzo seemed expensive for what it offered. Was looking for a pre-owned Innova when the whole BS4-BS6 transition drama was concluding. Ended up getting a new Marazzo with a great discount and happy so far with the decision.
Old 26th October 2021, 22:50   #45
BHPian

Back in 2013 visited FIAT showroom to book the 90hp MJD Punto. One test drive of the Linea TJet and all the calculations and logic went blur. Diesel was cheaper than petrol by 20-25 bucks. Petrol cars were out of favor in the market. The price difference after discount on Linea was a no brainer. I would've regretted buying Punto instead of Linea. In hindsight, if Abarth Punto would've been available then, it would have been a difficult choice to make!
Weathered is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks