Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2021, 07:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Why is the VW Polo unavailable? Is a big update coming?

Seems like something is really brewing.

We had booked the Highline AT about 3 weeks ago with our choice of color as Sunset Red.

SA has now informed that this color is discontinued and now Polo will be available in only 4 colours , Silver/Grey/White/Flash Red.

Apparently, yesterday, Mr Ashish Gupta was at the same showroom for it’s official inauguration, VW East Delhi.
So quite possible this came straight from the horses mouth.

I think there are enough indicators now to go ahead and cancel my booking and wait it out.

Last edited by Old_Salt : 29th October 2021 at 07:31. Reason: Spelling
Old_Salt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 12:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
My Wife and I are on a wait after recently booking the Polo GT. We are told VW India is making way for the Taigun, so the dealers have been instructed to only focus on that and sell it to the potential customers as much as possible. The reality is that even the Taigun allotments are going slow. I have been following up with the dealer and I keep the getting the same response that the production is slow/ halted at the moment and they expect it to resume in a month or two that seems to align with the chip shortages. The matte edition Polo that was unveiled recently is not seen too at the Sundaram VW Chennai while KUN seems to have sold them out ( I was told some 8 to 10 units were allocated) and I am not sure if thats the case. For now we are in the wait list, crossing our fingers to get our hands on one soon! So there goes my Diwali delight for my wife!
A bit of a twist for us as we learnt recently from the Management of the Dealer that the Polo might not make it until Feb 22 in stock and its questionable too. Wife is not too keen in endlessly waiting and would rather drive a car that is available now and not have any uncertainities. Given Rapid is Axed, Vento and Polo is suspected with the same fate it seems. We looked around the competition and given our priority is a safe/ well built hatch, we couldn't find anything compelling except for the Tata Tiago in its AMT guise. Yes its a step-down from Polo's Engine/Transmission, but it seemed like an impressive package for the price and hence we went ahead and booked the NRG edition for its added GC and Keyless Entry/ Push button start. Ignored the i10/i20 combo as she isn't too keen with its design and the sub-par safety rating.

Dealer has promised delivery in under a month.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 20:15   #33
BHPian

I booked a HighLine Plus TSI MT on 23rd Oct in Bangalore. SA told me that it will be delivered not before 1st week of Jan. The Car was not on display when we took the test drive. However , it was when we got back and we were requested to pose for a photo with it post booking

I wonder what's going on.

He did not try to push Taigun or any other model on me.

If Polo does get discontinued - how will it impact extended warranty , spares and insurance ? ( This is my first car - don't know a lot about this stuff)
Yes , Some colours were unavailable.

Last edited by arbardhan : 6th November 2021 at 20:37.
arbardhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 21:50   #34

I went to a VW dealership in Delhi looking for a Polo and I was told that the waiting period is at least 2 to 5 months, depending on the color and trim. Specially longer wait for lower trims. The best way to get a car in 2 months was to make a fully refundable booking now.

Now the other news I got was that the new/facelift Vento (or its replacement Virtus) is coming soon, as new Dec Jan timeframe.
greenoak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 18:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A BHPian drops the following PM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Personal feeling (unsubstantiated - so take it for what its worth) is that the old generation VW products are finally getting ready to be discontinued. Polo and it's derivates (Vento, Rapid etc) are in it's 12th year run and it's about time someone pulled the plug.
Any more dope on what's going to happen with the Polo?

I'm planning to get the Polo Highline+ 1.0 TSI AT but the only thing holding me back is what if the new Polo is around the corner and I end up buying the current gen.

I don't really see any issues with the car but what if the next one is offered with 1.5 TSI and we get a 150bhp hatchback.

Does it make sense to wait out any purchase for the next 6 months?

PS: The two dealerships that I spoke with weren't really pushing Taigun down my throat. In fact both were pretty transparent that Polo AT would need around 2 months of waiting time and MT can be had within a few weeks, max upto 1 month.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 20:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

I don't really see any issues with the car but what if the next one is offered with 1.5 TSI and we get a 150bhp hatchback.
1) I don't see it happening as it will rob Polo of the sub-4 meter tax benefits.
2) If VW decides to launch the Polo with 1.5 TSI it makes no sense for them to reduce its length to sub 4 m.
3) Such a vehicle will be priced on par with Skoda Slavia/Kushaq/VW Taigun 1.5 TSI
4) Not many will prefer a Polo over a Slavia/Taigun/Kushaq for that type of money.
5) CBU/CKD version of Polo with 1.5 TSI may be available in limited numbers with premium pricing. But not the regular Polo, IMHO.

Rgds
Geta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 20:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Does it make sense to wait out any purchase for the next 6 months?
I would certainly wait for 6 months (may be it takes more than that) as the new polo or even the sub 4 meter SUV from VW (TAOS?) is likely to be launched in 2022.
Old 13th November 2021, 09:45   #38
BHPian

I put down the booking amount for a Highline AT. The car seems properly specced for me who is tired of driving the MT Innova around in Mumbai suburbs. Cruise control on highways is what I'm eagerly waiting to try out.

The dealer was happy to accommodate my request for this variant.

- I was offered a Comfortline and trendline variant as well. Denied both because I have loved how the GT is specced and my choice of HL+ adds a rear AC and armrest.

- these lower trims are discontinued and the dealer isn't taking any bookings for them. I was offered these from an order they had already placed and possibly cancelled by the customer.

- there were 4 taiguns on the showroom floor and the dealer didn't push me for them.

- waiting period is anywhere between 45 days to 60 days. "It might even arrive tomorrow so the allotment is erratic".

- wasn't told anything about chip shortage.

- has asked me to drop hopes for the Sunset red. I have specified Sunset Red and White as my choices. As per the dealer, Flash Red joins the list of discontinued colors viz Lapiz blue and Maroon.

- close to 12+ Polos are on order from this showroom so the demand seems strong.

Upon enquiring about a new update for the Polo, he said the focus was on taigun, and he seemed to agree that the build quality wasn't at par with the older cars (Panel gaps, finish on the rear hatch). He let it known to me that since I wasn't budging from my choice of HL+ to the matt GT or lower trims, he didn't think of pitching the Taigun variants.

He was pushing me very hard for the matt GT, and to be honest, I walked in the showroom expecting to see a matt Polo in a non GT variant (as the website didn't have GT badged pictures of the car so assumed it was a non GT car) but was disappointed to see it in GT. When I requested a test drive, he got in the GT instead of HL+ (understandable though).
throttleflick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 18:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to get year-end discounts on a Polo given the current circumstances? What I mean is if there's any point asking for a 2021 mfg car to be delivered in 2022 right now or such kind of deals are best had in the first month of the year?

I'm looking for as much discount as I can get, year of mfg doesn't really matter to me as resale is the last thing on my mind.

While I spoke with two dealers they both told me that currently there's 1-2 month waiting on the Polo so getting this kind of deal would be tough but its been a while since I bought a new car so I thought I'll check with fellow bhpians.
Old 15th November 2021, 15:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I would certainly wait for 6 months (may be it takes more than that) as the new polo or even the sub 4 meter SUV from VW (TAOS?) is likely to be launched in 2022.
I would also suggest getting hands on the outgoing Polo/Vento for the build and quality control.

Since, I the new Virtus and possibly a longer 4m+ Polo (if it ever were to come) will be based on the MQB A0 IN and thus will not have the same build quality as Euro Polo we get right now. (case in point, the quality issues with Taigun/Kushaq).

I will also admit that in spite of what I just wrote above I ll buy a slightly poorly built new Polo if the driving dynamics don't change. Not ashamed
greenoak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:48   #41
BHPian

I had booked a Polo TSI Highline Plus Manual on 24th Oct.
Dealer called today and offering me a full refund as according to him VW would not be producing Polo's untill march.

He also offered that he will hold the booking if something new comes up. This is my first car and I am not sure what to do now
Old 30th November 2021, 12:59   #42
BHPian

I had gone over the weekend to VW Bangalore. Got the following updates:

1. The new polo is never going to be launched in India due to favorable taxes for sub 4m cars.

2. New bookings for Polo are not being accepted

3. Existing bookings are being canceled and refunded.

4. March 2022 is when VW is expected to respond next on the situation.

5. There is a rumor that the existing Polo might be upgraded with Wireless charging and a few more add-ons to keep it relevant with changing times. Chip shortage plus new launches are also adding to the delays.
vivek.ks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 14:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
I had gone over the weekend to VW Bangalore. Got the following updates:

1. The new polo is never going to be launched in India due to favorable taxes for sub 4m cars.

2. New bookings for Polo are not being accepted

3. Existing bookings are being canceled and refunded.

4. March 2022 is when VW is expected to respond next on the situation.

5. There is a rumor that the existing Polo might be upgraded with Wireless charging and a few more add-ons to keep it relevant with changing times. Chip shortage plus new launches are also adding to the delays.
I called another dealer and both had said the same thing. VW is not going to revisit before Feb / March (He is till not promising delivery )
I have called Tata and Hyundai dealerships as well
Tata - 2/3 Months
Hyundai - Mostly 2 Months - N lines readily available

I wanted the Polo and I am willing to hold till march not do an impulse buy. Its very difficult beyond that. I Pray ppl cancel their Taigun / Slavia / Kushaq Bookings.
Old 30th November 2021, 14:24   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbardhan View Post
I Pray ppl cancel their Taigun / Slavia / Kushaq Bookings.
There is also the Virtus coming in! Slavia deliveries start in April, so the Volkswagen will be out only in late June or July.

The group has their priorities sorted till then
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:51   #45
BHPian

Cancelled my booking today. I wanted to wait for Model wise production of VW (they produced around 3k in November). Please let me know if this data is available anywhere.

Last edited by manson : 11th December 2021 at 14:05. Reason: Typos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks