Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 09:51   #1
BANNED

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event

Rewind Back to 2019 when after years of ogling and thinking, my family finally decided it was a good idea to get a nice German car, X1 was chosen for the practicality, comfort, build quality and last but not the least the Image. Had it been me choosing the car on my own, I would have picked the 330i anyday but it was my Dad's car and the higher seating position and much better ride quality coupled with actual usable backseat the X1 made more sense. Anyway, it is still a BMW and a good entry point into the brand.

We hoped there would be some more BMW events (as they regularly used to) where i could check out the rest of the cars and get to know the limits of the cars but alas the pandemic put a stop to everything. I pretty much checked the BMW India website without fail every month to check if they are restarting the Events (Joyfest/xDrive/M driver Training) and finally after over a year of waiting, I see at the start of October; there was finally a Schedule. And the Best part? first 2 cities on it are Delhi and Ludhiana( I was fine with attending it at either city)
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-cq5dam.resized.img.1185.large.time1633342628444.jpg

With the BMW website being utterly useless to register or get any info on how to sign up for it, I got help from Member Turbanator who gave me the contact of the coordinator for the Delhi event and gave me the tip to contact the Ludhiana dealer who would be making the list of attendees for the event in that city. Unfortunately, as I got to know the Delhi event was totally booked out and I was told I was late by 2-3 days, so I made sure to get in touch with my dealer in Ludhiana (helps as we bought the car from the same place). Of course, they didn't do it at once but I had to call the BMW India coordinator as well to get the dealer to get me in. This also gave me an excuse to visit home (to Ludhiana).

The Event

First Look
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-first-look.jpg

The Pavilion
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-pavillion-.jpg
We reached 15 min early for our slot so that we are able to choose the cars we drive on the event (it is first come first serve), but we ended up so early that we were given an option to go on the previous slot if we were okay with driving the cars that were left. After a good 5 min of me explaining that No I did not want to drive the 2GC or X1 (already drive a FWD BMW), they agreed to let me try for the next (my scheduled slot).

Meanwhile my dad and I looked around and Inside. and put in some fuel for us as well (High Tea)
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-interior1.jpg
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-interior2.jpg
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-interior3.jpg

The Lineup of cars
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-lineup1.jpg
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-lineup2.jpg
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-lineup3.jpg

Finally as the next slot was opening up, I pretty much ran to get the keys for the 330Li (it was either this or the JCW). It was a short slalom course with an acceleration run at the end. So didn't feel like the 520d or 620d options would be well suited.

The SUVs were to be driven on an emergency maneuver course and I chose the X5 30d as I haven't driven this generation yet and hoped this would be a bit of a challenge with its size and weight. I was obviously wrong as this car doesn't seem to obey Physics with its large size and weight, going about its business like a much smaller car
agambhandari is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 09:54   #2
BANNED

Driving Experience

Here is a short video showing Both the events.

Slalom course Done in G28 330Li M sport

Emergency Maneuver in SUV Done in G05 X5 xDrive 30d Luxury Line

and Yes both cars were in sport mode and in true Bhpian style, the X5 was in the lowest(Air) suspension setting that I could get and also switched to Sport traction for the final run

Kudos to both the instructors, got good feedback on every lap so could improve subsequently.

A parting shot
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img20211029wa0016.jpg

Last edited by agambhandari : 30th October 2021 at 10:05.
agambhandari is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 09:56   #3
BANNED

re: Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest 2021 @ Ludhiana

Closing thoughts

It was a fun experience and yes obviously not a patch on driving a car on a proper Track though keep in mind it was free and a controlled environment to get to know the limits of the cars as well. No need to worry about wearing out the tyres, brakes or having a fender bender anywhere.

I would definitely suggest any Bimmer owner to get in touch with their dealer and definitely sign up for this to do at least once. Even my Dad who is always paranoid with me behind the wheel(aren't all Dads?) liked the activities and instilled more confidence in him about these cars. This is a good place to Drive like Hell without reaching there (See my signature)

Last edited by agambhandari : 30th October 2021 at 10:00.
agambhandari is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 15:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event

Nice report. Very good initiative by BMW to demonstrate what their cars are capable of even in the hands of regular drivers. Loved how you chose the X5 for the emergency braking test. I'd have probably done the same - just for the sake of some drama .

Excellent directions from the instructors. They know exactly what they are doing. Your 1st run through the slalom was poor, but the following ones were so much better. Same with the braking test - you got better after being instructed. That point about using just your shoulders and not the entire upper body is very important in driving even on the regular road.

As you said, a controlled environment is one place you can drive like hell without actually getting there.
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:08   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Nice piece of information, Agam.
It is taking place next week (13th/14th November) at Lucknow.

However, neither do I own a BMW nor can I afford one yet. However, I do want to go to such an event. Will that be okay or I'll be denied entry/looked down on?
Old 4th November 2021, 15:14   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Nice piece of information, Agam.
It is taking place next week (13th/14th November) at Lucknow.

However, neither do I own a BMW nor can I afford one yet. However, I do want to go to such an event. Will that be okay or I'll be denied entry/looked down on?
Would suggest to register interest with the local dealer with a physical visit at the earliest. Ideally it is meant for potential customers as well, so the dealer can invite you if they want to.
Old 19th April 2022, 21:37   #7

Why BMW Joyfest is a game changer

When buying a G05 BMW X5 in 2020, we were excited and got the car without much hassle, but also without much fanfare. It might be the dealership but barely any gifts were give, not even a garland around the front of the car. The experience seemed lacklustre, especially for what a car like that is slated to be. This wasn't a dampener, since we all fell in love with the car, in every conceivable way.

When BMW India started posting Instagram posts about Joyfest, I made sure to call the Excellence Club, the BMW concierge, and ensure that whenever it was held in Mumbai, we would get an invite. And when the invite came, I was excited but with hesitation, expecting it to just be one lap around some cones in an X1. Oh boy was I wrong.

Joyfest Mumbai was held at the old Raymond Mills in Thane, on the outskirts of the city. With shielded expectations, when we reached, we were extremely surprised. The experience centre was exactly the kind of experience people fantasise when shopping for a luxury car. Courteous staff, great food and a very smooth process made the day. But the highlight of Joyfest was what BMW stood for previously, sheer driving pleasure. We got to drive the BMW X5 around a gymkhana circuit on a field, with the instructors encouraging us to feel the brakes and power. And wow, we fell in love with the car once again. Preceding which we drove a 3 Series around another course, but this time on tarmac, an incredible feeling of grip, which we don't experience during normal driving.

Joyfest is much more than a well organised and fun event. While talking to people at the event, not many were looking to buy another BMW, but all fell in love with the brand. When brands give their customers experiences like this, it adds another dimension that doesn't really exist within luxury car buyers. To be honest, most Audis, Mercedes and BMWs are chauffeur driven, barely ever resonating with their buyers. Mere status symbols that don't inspire love for the car and the brand. Events like Joyfest change that, bringing together people who feel similarly, and connecting with the brand. The more that brands interact with customers like this, it elevates the experience. Spending this much money on a car shouldn't be a transaction, it should be a connection, and BMW India made me connected to the brand in a more holistic way than I'll ever experience through YouTube videos or Sales Executives.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-cq5dam.resized.img.1680.large.time1648640384362.jpg  

shapelesscroc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 20:42   #8
BHPian

Bmw Joytown

BMW India had organized a two day Joy Town at Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi on 10th and 11th Dec'2022. The even comprised new launches, showcasing of existing products line up along with music and food.
Some of the glimpses from the event are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_124618.jpg  

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_124637.jpg  

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_124701.jpg  

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_124900.jpg  

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_124741.jpg  

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_124755.jpg  

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_131624.jpg  

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_124558.jpg  

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_125948.jpg  

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_130002.jpg  

Pics & Report | BMW Joyfest Event-img_20221211_130039.jpg