Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2022, 12:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: 2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh

2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh

Toyota has launched the refreshed Camry Hybrid in India. The car is priced at Rs. 41.70 lakh (ex-showroom).

2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh-camry-hybrid-exterior.jpg

The 2022 Camry Hybrid gets a redesigned front bumper, grille and new alloy wheels, while the rear gets revised tail lamp clusters. On the interior, the car comes with a floating 9-inch touchscreen infotainment system that has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity and a 9-speaker JBL audio system.

2022 Camry Hybrid feature highlights:
  • 10-way power-adjustable driver seat with memory function
  • ORVM & tilt-telescopic steering with memory function
  • Wireless charger
  • Heads-up display
  • Reclining rear seats
  • Power rear sunshade
  • 3-zone automatic climate control

2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh-camry-hybrid-interior.jpg

Powering the Camry Hybrid is the same 2.5-litre 4-cylinder petrol-hybrid engine. It produces 215 BHP and 221 Nm and is mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT). Drivers can choose between three driving modes - Sport, Eco and Normal. The hybrid battery comes with an 8 years / 1,60,000 km warranty.

2022 Camry Hybrid safety features:
  • 9 airbags
  • Parking Assist with Back Guide Monitor
  • Clearance and Back Sonar
  • Vehicle Stability Control
  • Traction Control
  • Hill Start Assist Control
  • Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 12th January 2022 at 13:04.
TusharK is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 13:37   #17
BHPian

Still feeling happy to go ahead with my decision to buy the 330i. Toyota always seems to ask too much for it's bullet proof reliability.

The interiors, particularly the infotainment on the dash looks after-market and lacks the finesse one would expect from a 50L on-road car. Performance is average too with the 2.5L motor taking over 8s to do 0-100 kmph.
sid_deb is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 14:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Toyota seems to have kept the facelift model price in check by launching it at 41.70 lakhs. The pre-facelift variant (mid-2021) was priced close to 41 lakhs, IIRC.

For the facelift, those new look dark grey metallic alloy wheels look cool with the new color "Metal Stream Metallic" nicely enhancing the side contours.
Looks like the wireless phone charger is a new addition, alongwith the floating (position moved up) infotainment system and the double wishbone suspension at the rear. The heads-up display is in color, which looks swell in videos atleast.

Like the Superb, the Camry also seems to provide a lot of car (and then some more) for the money it asks for, and should be a contender for the entry-level Big 3 Germans in its own way!

With the facelift, it should definitely retain (& maybe take it a notch higher) the niche appeal that it used to command earlier amongst a set of customers - those who prefer elegance over raw performance, who choose to be driven more (although this perception is evolving, courtesy those paddle shifters + new marketing ethos) rather than drive and those who prefer a quiet & understated luxe quotient over a boisterous aggrandisement.

Overall, another good choice in the 40-50 lakh luxury segment.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 15:15   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

A price rise of only 50k? This and bringing the Hilux to India, sign of things to come from TKM?

Like the facelift grill somehow, almost looks like the Avalon front end. Not a fan of the tablet stuck on dash thingy, but then, a bigger screen is what the market wants. Guess, they could have tried to integrate a bigger screen within the dashboard itself instead. Sure, physicall buttons and knobs are still there, but those are generic Toyota stuff. The older one had more ergonomic volume/tuning knobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Looks like.......is a new addition, alongwith the double wishbone suspension at the rear.
The Camry already had a double wishbone rear suspension, since moving into the TNGA platform. Heck, even the Corolla has a double wishbone rear suspension now.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th January 2022 at 21:18. Reason: As requested.
DicKy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 00:06   #20
BHPian

So the Toyota wanted to move the rear seat enthusiast to the driver seat with all the additions. This will make a very spacious sedan for a Family.
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 21:33   #21

Re: 2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh

2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh-snapchat1356449096.jpg

I had gone to Infinium Toyota today for my 10' camry's part order and found the 2022 Camry being unveiled .
It does look more sporty with the new alloy design and the new bumper. The center armrest , door pad and center console on the sides is in white and already had dirt marks on it from people sitting in it!
The on road price in Ahmedabad is 46.xx lacs.
Yuvuz is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 04:55   #22
BHPian

Surprisingly, the cheapest Toyota car in India with a sunroof
shadkhan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 21:11   #23
BHPian

Camry’s hybrid engine have been one of its unique selling points, not to mention Toyota’s reliability. How I wish Skoda also had this hybrid option in Superb/Kodiaq! I believe this segment needs an all electric sedan and then things would get really interesting and we might get to see more options.
techmotor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 23:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Paid a visit to the dealer today to check out the Camry.
No surprise, the car took centerstage attention and the Sales reps were ensuring all the red carpet treatment to potential customers.

First things first, the Camry retails at 49.77 lakhs OTR in Pune for individual registration. For corporates, the price gets jacked by couple of lakhs.

2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh-camryprice.png

Get ready to shell out extra 15k if you want the Pearl White color.
Ofcourse, the accessories sit outside of this price list alongwith the ceramic coating. I was told that these are potential freebie items, totaling about 78k or so.

Now that the elephant's out of the bag, over to the car.

First impression: darn good. Menacingly aggressive front fascia:-

2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh-img_2581.jpg

This 2022 facelift has been given the evolutionary makeover rather than something radical.
When seeing the car in person, some of the changes actually look very good.

Take the front bumper - IMO, it now lends that adrenaline-esque stance to the car, with some chrome boundary adding that nice touch of class.
The side profile - a subtle character line is brought up the rear side door.
The rear lights are blackened out a bit, again to add that touch of sportiness. Subtle, but to the keen observer, it comes across as a welcome change.

That oblique stance, showing the good proportions:-

2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh-img_2580.jpg

New alloys for this facelift, look stylish:-

2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh-img_2582.jpg

When inside, the biggest change is for the infotainment system, which is now pushed up by few inches to make it appear floating, and the A/C vents pushed down:

2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh-img_2578.jpg

The Optitron meters remain unchanged:-

2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh-img_2579.jpg

Out on the road, drove for about good 35-40 mins. Had to ride the pre-facelift car since the new one was not yet registered by the dealer.

Switched on the ignition, and expected/waited for the engine thrum to kick in. But 'nothing' happened, or so it seemed. The car came to life just like that! Super silent! Not bad.

Coming from a Vento, the Camry's dimensions felt almost 2 sizes bigger from outside. I wondered how would it actually ride.
However, a gentle tap on the accelerator made the car gently crawl out of its lumber mode and drive away. Again, super smooth.

For almost 50% of the test drive, I could easily witness that all the work was done by the Ni-MH battery source itself. Not a drop of petrol sipped for this section along typical city speeds. The Camry rules in the city.

When I wanted to test the spirit and shifted to 'Sport' mode, only then the 2.5 liter engine made its presence felt. But then, I had to literally make some effort to feel that transition, else I wouldn't have noticed any change at all.

To my surprise, here again on the highway, the Camry was a pleasant and fun proposition.
No swaying (admittedly, not many high-speed turns out there), no drama whatsoever on the open roads. Steering firmed up, tacho moving to 'PWR' on the dials and just some nice grunt to get going.

Overall, a very nice experience - with the dealership and the car.

For a hefty price tag of almost 50 big ones, the Camry has its job cut out, but me thinks it will hold its own well, given its ultra-reliability + super FE + nice luxe interior update + overall subtle yet stylish makeover tag.
JoshMachine is offline   (105) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 02:10   #25
BHPian

Help me understand this pricing.

I live in the US, and we get a Camry for 23k USD, and a BMW 330i for 40k USD. Whereas, a Camry in India would cost me 41 lacs, and a BMW 330i would cost me 45 lacs. So, who in the right mind would spend such a fortune on a commoner car like Camry. Again, nothing against Camry, it does its job well, but for that price point you should be looking at luxury sedans.
bimmer1988 is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 10:27   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer1988 View Post
I live in the US, and we get a Camry for 23k USD, and a BMW 330i for 40k USD. Whereas, a Camry in India would cost me 41 lacs, and a BMW 330i would cost me 45 lacs. So, who in the right mind would spend such a fortune on a commoner car like Camry. Again, nothing against Camry, it does its job well, but for that price point you should be looking at luxury sedans.
Been discussed many times in the forum, still. Let me give my 2 paisa.

1. Camry is a family car in USA/Canada/GCC/Australia, but elsewhere it is a luxury car.

2. Atleast till the last gen, the Camry in USA and the Camry we get were slightly different. In terms of features and interior appointments/quality.

3. In USA, you could have a car model at a low base price, and you can double the price when you option it out. In India, most of the 30+ lakh cars come only in one top variant.

4. The Camry is CKD/SKD(?) in India and the taxes apply, plus it is in the topmost tax bracket by virtue of its size and engine size. No respite even for the hybrid system.

5. The 3 series and C class until the present gen were just driver's cars. But ended up being chauffeured in India. Ofcourse rear seat comfort is increasingly important with each generation, with the current 3er even getting a LWB version. The Camry/Superb are just family cars with no sporty pretensions and by virtue of the engine drivetrain layout are more spacious. So with their size and comfort oriented nature, they are VFM compared to the compact executive segment.
DicKy is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:14   #27
BHPian

FINALLY a warranty of 8 years on the hybrid battery bringing us on par with the rest of the world. This alone should make it worth going for this gen over buying the previous one used.
Iyencar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 19:10   #28
BHPian

The floating arrangement of the touchscreen is better suited to someone viewing it from the back seat, rather than the integrated look of the previous gen. That most Camrys would be chauffeur driven might have contributed to this arrangement.
dsr001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 09:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer1988 View Post
Help me understand this pricing.
In addition to some of the points fm dicky has covered.

The Toyota Camry you get to buy is Made in the USA. Every single thing from the cars metal (or steel) sheet panels being stamped to the mechanicals are made right there. Very little is imported from neighboring countries or even Japan. You now have the advantage of Mexico too, though I doubt if Toyota will ever pass the benefits of cheaper manufacturing to the customer.

Speaking from a part of the world where there is no vehicle manufacturing or even assembly (We do buses and some trucks at the most), a base Toyota Camry costs $44,000 NZD on road. The cheapest BMW 3 series Touring (Wagon) with a 2l diesel costs $86,000 (on road not included)! Is a BMW worth 2x more over a Camry? Aside from the badge upfront, I do not think so. Atleast, that's not what I see on the road, where the new Camry is everywhere and I may see one 3 series in a week! The other plus with the Toyota is they have crammed in 5 years of everything possible. Warranty, Roadside assist, Vehicle inspection and Fixed price service costs.
sandeepmohan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 10:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
For a hefty price tag of almost 50 big ones, the Camry has its job cut out, but me thinks it will hold its own well, given its ultra-reliability + super FE + nice luxe interior update + overall subtle yet stylish makeover tag.
Thank you for the review, really enjoyed reading it!

Definitely agree with the point that the Camry has its job cut out. I truly believe that Toyota would be able to capture a larger chunk of the market had the price been lesser, the car truly is a keeper. But getting the typical Indian consumer to part with 50 large ones is going to be really tough, at this price point consumers will go for other brands with a more niche brand equity. Not to mention that the current-gen Superb is extremely capable at a way cheaper price point albeit doesn't have certain features that the Camry does.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out for toyota!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks