Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2022, 12:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector & Hector Plus Petrol DCT variants discontinued

MG Motor India no longer offers the 6-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission option on the Hector and Hector Plus.

MG Hector & Hector Plus Petrol DCT variants discontinued-img_0737.jpg

With the DCT option now discontinued, customers looking for an automatic Hector or Hector Plus will have to settle for the 8-step continuously variable transmission (CVT).

The 6-speed dual-clutch was offered with the 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine. This engine produces 141 BHP and 250 Nm. In February last year, MG added a CVT to the options list, so that customers could now choose between a DCT or CVT paired with a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine.

MG Hector & Hector Plus Petrol DCT variants discontinued-img_0741.jpg

Other powertrain options offered by MG include a 1.5-litre mild-hybrid and a 2.0-litre diesel engine both of which, are paired with a 6-speed manual transmission.
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 13:15   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Re: MG Hector & Hector Plus Petrol DCT variants discontinued

Not a fan of MG or Hector but I say the 8-stepped CVT would do wonders if they pair it with the 2.0 Diesel
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 14:09   #3
BHPian

Hi, I occasionally drive my father in law's Baleno Petrol CVT. I kind of hate it, especially the infamous rubber band effect. My question to fellow readers is are all CVT's similar to the Baleno. Forgive me for my ignorance, but I do not see any vast technological improvements in the CVT technology unlike the Torque Converter. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Pkumarblore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 17:00   #4
BHPian

I think this is good move to streamline product offerings. Proper AT for diesel will be great and will bump up sales for sure. Not sure in 2022, if they plan to launch AT diesel with ADAS in Hector?
Old 6th January 2022, 19:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Hi, I occasionally drive my father in law's Baleno Petrol CVT. I kind of hate it, especially the infamous rubber band effect. My question to fellow readers is are all CVT's similar to the Baleno. Forgive me for my ignorance, but I do not see any vast technological improvements in the CVT technology unlike the Torque Converter. Please correct me if I am wrong.
CVTs are hated globally because of that "rubber band" effect. A few brands have tuned their versions to make them more palatable. But CVTs are overall a terrible choice - no feel (since there is no gear shifting), limited power handling, are generally expensive to maintain and are more prone to premature failures. On the plus side, there is the low weight, smoother operation and higher fuel mileage - hence the Japs just love their CVTs. IMHO, gearbox technology for mainstream use has not seen massive innovations since the advent of DCT.
MaddyCrew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 20:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I kind of hate it, especially the infamous rubber band effect. My question to fellow readers is are all CVT's similar to the Baleno
As far as I heard, DCT is better than the CVT but of course it depends on the driving style. Delay in torque reaching the wheels (as you call rubber band effect or other) depends on how we drive whether sedate or spirited. We need to KYC (Know Your Car) so that we know exactly how best to utilize and enjoy at the same time.

To answer your question, CVT can either be a limitation or advantage depending on how we drive.
darthvader001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 21:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good decision, IMO. I picked the CVT Hector after multiple test drives of both DCT and CVT. 4000+ kms now and I stand by the choice.
The CVT is butter-smooth and I have been able to over-take on demand on narrow mountain roads in Uttarakhand, so there's that too.
BUT, one needs to put in some early effort to understand the gearbox behavior alongwith judicious use of the different modes - that's true of almost any gearbox.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 00:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader001 View Post
Delay in torque reaching the wheels (as you call rubber band effect or other) depends on how we drive whether sedate or spirited.
A small clarification: It is a myth that there is excessive delay in power delivery in CVTs. Actually, all ATs (AMT/TC/CVT/DCT) have a certain delay, when compared to manual transmission.

You can feel this delay when driving an AMT/TC/DCT automatic. Press the accelerator suddenly and nothing happens for a half a second. Now in a CVT, you can 'feel' this delay too. But in addition to this delay, you can also hear the engine rev to higher RPM in a CVT. That is the so called "rubber band effect" - half a second delay + revving engine.
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 08:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
But in addition to this delay, you can also hear the engine rev to higher RPM in a CVT. That is the so called "rubber band effect" - half a second delay + revving engine.
Exactly. What I was saying is that it depends on our driving style.

Quote:
You can feel this delay when driving an AMT/TC/DCT automatic. Press the accelerator suddenly and nothing happens for a half a second
Yes, the TCU will have to realize that it has to downshift. This changes from OEM to OEM. We hear that in some cars this is negligible while in others it is not.
darthvader001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks