Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2022, 15:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser & Glanza clock 1 lakh cumulative sales

Toyota has announced that it has sold over 1 lakh units of the Urban Cruiser and Glanza in India. Over 65,000 units of the Glanza and more than 35,000 Urban Cruisers have been sold to date. According to Toyota, both models have helped the company cater to 66% first time Toyota buyers, especially in Tier II and Tier III cities.

Toyota Urban Cruiser & Glanza clock 1 lakh cumulative sales-1lakh-celebrations_uc-glanza_jan-2022.jpg

The Glanza was launched in June 2019. It's essentially a rebadged Maruti Suzuki Baleno. The hatchback is available with either a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder unit that produces 83 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 113 Nm of torque @ 4,200 rpm or a 1.2-litre DualJet petrol unit with a lithium-ion battery with an integrated starter generator that puts out 89 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 113 Nm @ 4,400 rpm. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual and a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

The Urban Cruiser is Toyota's version of the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza. It comes with a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine, which produces 104 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 138 Nm @ 4,400 rpm.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 29th January 2022 at 15:30.
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser & Glanza clock 1 lakh cumulative sales

While most of us here might just not comprehend this idea of Suzukis with a Toyota badging (sincerely no offence to the owners), but just imagine what a lease of life they have given to the Toyota dealers. Selling one lakh units of brand new cars without manufacturing them or even spending any substantial funds on R&D is a huge achievement in terms of economy! Very smartly played by Toyota. Most laughed at Toyota when they came to know about about this badge attempt, but look now who is laughing all the way to the bank.

So are we looking at a model where below10-12 lakh price band Toyota will sell badge engineered cars and 12-15 lakhs and above they will sell high margin Toyota products, the fact that they are not shy of introducing the Hilux in India makes me think in this direction.

On a lighter note, This reminds me of my neighbourhood MI authorised partner store who funnily sells more Oppos and Vivos than MI phone.
ArTigor is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:52   #3
BHPian

I am not sure if a global behemoth like Toyota should brag about doing cosmetic updates and selling suzuki vehicles.

This news seem more like shot in the arm of Maruti Suzuki.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th January 2022 at 18:23. Reason: Typo
SideView is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 16:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As enthusiasts, we may hate these rebadged cars, but as a company Toyota has successfully entered the entry-level market which they weren’t able to crack for a long time.

With the new Brezza, Baleno and Creta-rival coming soon, the numbers are just going to go up! Only thing that needs to be done is bring some significant cosmetic changes to both the interiors and exteriors of the rebadged cars.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 17:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Being a Toyota fan, I would have cordially and proudly congratulated Toyota if they had manufactured 1 lakh cars and sold them. Although this is a good achievement, I personally feel that this is an achievement of a black ticket seller in front of a film theatre rather than the achievement of film director or producer. Black ticket seller purchases tickets from theatre counter and waits for houseful board to be hung on the theatre gate. Once tickets are sold out, he sells the purchased tickets in black market and earns his livelihood.

Nothing wrong with this business model for a common man but if a film producer like Karan Johar does this, it looks very unusual and funny.

Congratulations Toyota for successfully selling 1 lakh Suzuki cars is what I can say for this achievement.

Or other way of looking at this is, Congratulations Suzuki for making Toyota to sell your 1 lakh cars

Last edited by gkveda : 29th January 2022 at 17:31.
gkveda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 17:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The negative response was more due to our disappointment with Toyota's decision not to sell any entry level cars of their own. I don't think anyone doubted the viability or advantages of this arrangement. It's equivalent to Toyota leaving India similar to Ford.
androdev is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 20:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
It's equivalent to Toyota leaving India similar to Ford.
I think it is the other way. This arrangement is probably the difference between them staying and leaving India.

Toyota original products will not work in segments where Suzuki and Hyundai has presence, because of the Toyota tax.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 29th January 2022 at 20:14.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 21:04   #8
BHPian

Congratulations Suzuki for selling 1 lakh cars to your biggest dealer.
Thilak29 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 21:13   #9
BHPian

Toyota needs to be given the credit for being pragmatic. The most important aspect that I see in this is that the dealerships are getting sales and service revenue and are able to keep themselves profitable due to the volumes that Glanza and Urban Cruiser are bringing in. I think this would evolve into shared manufacturing utilising excess capacity in Toyota plants soon. As others have also pointed out, this could be crucial to Toyota staying in India.
MinivanDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 16:48   #10
BHPian

I feel it is a good thing by Toyota, helps them offer a more complete package.

On a lighter note, when I see an Urban cruiser in my rear view mirror, for a split second, it looks like a mini Fortuner (all due to the Toyota badge).

Anyone else felt the same?
Old 30th January 2022, 20:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Toyota and Suzuki have made easy money here. I’m not saying that this is unfair or unethical, many manufacturers have attempted badge re-engineering, so nothing new here. The main grouse was should Toyota have done this, since Suzuki and Toyota have literally been at opposite spectrums all these days. And also, even when they decided to go down this route, probably the effort in differentiation could have been better.

Also, on the other hand, I feel that at times customers who lack awareness have been taken for a ride by the Toyota dealers. Personally I know 2-3 cases where people I know have ended up buying the urban cruiser and Glanza, but the dealer and sales executives have tried to tell them a story that these cars are being manufactured by Toyota! And someone even seemed to have mentioned that the engines are different! I’m not sure how many of these lakh customers were unaware, but I’m guessing it could be a lot in tier-2 and tier-3 towns where awareness is probably not the best.
Old 31st January 2022, 11:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

As enthusiasts and personally as a Toyota fanboy, just pissed off that Toyota has abandoned the sub 15 lakh segment and selling rebadged cars.

But rationally, a Glanza or Urban Cruiser should be much more attractive than the respective Maruti models. More VFM pricing, longer warranty period and a Toyota A.S.S is anyday better than an overloaded, rushed, crowded Maruti A.S.S

And from Toyota's POV, they wanted to keep their dealers afloat until their "Big Leap". And also they just got themselves customers who would be more than happy to upgrade to the upcoming Creta rival and MPV when the time comes. Just imagine if the Glanza and Urban Cruiser were not in the showroom. Would be akin to dropping off prospective customers at Hyundai-Kia showrooms. Just hope they atleast try to differentiate the external styling in the upcoming facelift Glanza/Ubran Cruiser (unlikely) or atleast do if they continue to rebadge the next gen Baleno and Brezza too.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 14:26   #13
BHPian

Long time back, in US too, Toyota Corolla and a Chevy model that I can't remember were produced on the same assembly line. Obviously , the Toyota badge had higher price and resale value
Old 31st January 2022, 14:43   #14
BHPian

Says a lot about Maruti manufactured cars, they're quality is good enough for Toyota to just stick a badge over and cross sell. Not bad IMO
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 14:56   #15
BHPian

True. But the sad fact is that Toyota's own cars would have been safer. The Etios got 4 stars in the GNCAP test. The Brezza also got 4 stars, but not the Baleno.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
Says a lot about Maruti manufactured cars, they're quality is good enough for Toyota to just stick a badge over and cross sell. Not bad IMO

Last edited by pradkumar : 31st January 2022 at 14:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks