Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2022, 23:07   #1
BHPian

Maruti builds Baleno 1.5L, but only for exports

Quoting myself from the same thread-
Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
I just talked to my friend who works at Maruti and they have confirmed that the Baleno WILL get a 1.5L engine as an option.
So apparently, my source at Maruti was correct about the Baleno 2022 being offered with the K15B motor! Unfortunately, that isn't being offered to India.

Suzuki South Africa had recently posted a video on their Facebook page regarding the same. The Baleno used to come with a 1.4L K14 engine in South Africa, that will now be replaced by the K15B in the exact same spec as the Brezza.

Maruti builds Baleno 1.5L, but only for exports-screenshot_20220225225835_facebook.jpg

https://fb.watch/boOKxd7x--/

Maruti if you are reading this, please launch the Baleno 1.5L in India as a successor to the old Baleno RS. Also don't forget to equip it with all wheel disc brakes and noticeable cosmetic changes while doing that (if you ever do, even though I know you won't )

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 25th February 2022 at 23:14.
theAutomaniac is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 08:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti-Suzuki Baleno, now launched at Rs. 6.35 lakh

Quote:
Quoting myself from the same thread-

So apparently, my source at Maruti was correct about the Baleno 2022 being offered with the K15B motor! Unfortunately, that isn't being offered to India.

--
Suzuki unveils the more powerful 2022 Baleno for the S A market!

Maruti builds Baleno 1.5L, but only for exports-1.jpg

Maruti builds Baleno 1.5L, but only for exports-.jpg

Maruti builds Baleno 1.5L, but only for exports-b.jpg

Maruti builds Baleno 1.5L, but only for exports-c.jpg

Maruti builds Baleno 1.5L, but only for exports-d.jpg

Quote:
Specifications:

More vroom in 77kW, 1.5ℓ engine.

Smart features for our star:

Size does matter with our new-gen 9" infotainment system (GLX). Heads up display for a more comfortable drive. LED headlamps to catch your eyes. LED combination rear lamps, and a 360° view camera for all-round admiration.

And it is safe too! With six airbags (GLX), ESP and Hill Hold Control.

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th February 2022 at 08:22.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 12:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti if you are reading this, please launch the Baleno 1.5L in India as a successor to the old Baleno RS. Also don't forget to equip it with all wheel disc brakes and noticeable cosmetic changes while doing that (if you ever do, even though I know you won't )
+1. Maruti can easily make this variant without breaking a sweat. Just for the record, in MRP, K12N Dualjet Engine Assembly costs 3.06 lacs, while K15B without ISG(Brezza Spec) costs 2.16 lacs. They can very well make a 1.5L variant, load it up with some goodies like rear discs, sportier trims and place it within 40k premium of regular Baleno and still have a good profitable model despite the tax losses they will face due to more displacement.
Leoshashi is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 14:29   #4
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
+1. Maruti can easily make this variant without breaking a sweat. Just for the record, in MRP, K12N Dualjet Engine Assembly costs 3.06 lacs, while K15B without ISG(Brezza Spec) costs 2.16 lacs. They can very well make a 1.5L variant, load it up with some goodies like rear discs, sportier trims and place it within 40k premium of regular Baleno and still have a good profitable model despite the tax losses they will face due to more displacement.
So if the 1.5 costs less than the 1.2, the only rationale behind offering the 1.2 in the Baleno could be fuel efficiency. Maruti did offer a powerful engine in Baleno RS but it had only a few takers. I guess they want to maintain their image of ' kam peene wali gaadi' while moving up on the safety factor.
sbm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 14:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
So if the 1.5 costs less than the 1.2, the only rationale behind offering the 1.2 in the Baleno could be fuel efficiency.
Yes the Dualjet variants are expensive and slightly more complex than older K series engines.
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 14:56   #6
BHPian

The K15 engine comes in 2 avatars, the K15B and K15C. The later is supposed to arrive in the new Ertiga, XL6 and Brezza to replace the current K15B engines. The difference between the two engines is likely to be similar to the difference between K10B and K10C engines we saw in the new Celerio. Reason for change is fuel efficiency increase as required by New BS6 Stage 2 norms and CAFE as well. Suzuki with its light weight cars has no option but to go for engine upgradation till EVs and Hybrids step in to improve overall fleet FE. Sorry for meandering a bit.
The K12 Dualjet is again a new evolution engine and is hence expensive. For the export markets in Africa, where FE is not the king and the extra power is desirable, a K15B engine suffices. However, there is a chance that Suzuki may have reserved more powerful engine options for the Baleno based crossover for differentiation. Time will tell.
Carma2017 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 06:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti builds Baleno 1.5L, but only for exports

Maruti builds Baleno 1.5L, but only for exports - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 09:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
One reason of not offering that to India could be the upcoming emission norms of BS6 Phase 2. Since South Africa doesn't have such stringent regulations and doesn't intend to deploy them either, they do not have to worry about higher emissions.

However, the K15B is being replaced by the K15C in India and hence I believe Maruti will not offer the K15B Baleno as an RS successor in India as it would have to be discontinued in 1-2 years, yet again!

As BHPian Carma2017 said, even I believe that the K15 engine will most likely be reserved for the YTB (for higher variants, as the lower ones would most likely get the K12N to avoid higher tax)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
Maruti did offer a powerful engine in Baleno RS but it had only a few takers.
Honestly, I believe that the only successful turbocharged hatchback in India is the Polo TSI as I have seen plenty of GT TSIs and TSIs but hardly 3-4 turbocharged i20s, and I am yet to spot an Altroz with the iTurbo badge! Also, I don't think the Altroz's average sales increased post launch of the iTurbo and hence I don't think there is demand for powerful hatchbacks! (Or maybe that is what my region's car buyers make me think!)

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 27th February 2022 at 09:15.
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 11:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I don't think Dualjet Dual VVT tech is that costlier.
Max 2L is my assumption.
As I said, the quoted prices are prevalent MRP for those engine assemblies, it's not something which I "think" or "assume". Secondly, these are MRPs in open market, obviously cost to Maruti will be far lesser. Third, the Dualjet isn't only about Dual VVT or multiple injectors, there are a lot of ways in which that engine is different compared to older K series. Water cooled EGR, Use of iridium plugs, use of MAF sensor etc among various other things. Also, these engines have much more imported content than regular K series engines which are almost completely localised over the years.
Leoshashi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 14:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just for the record, in MRP, K12N Dualjet Engine Assembly costs 3.06 lacs, while K15B without ISG(Brezza Spec) costs 2.16 lacs.
Guess the K12N dualjet MRP is for the one with mild hybrid and not the one with non-hybrid dual-jet.

Quote:
They can very well make a 1.5L variant, load it up with some goodies like rear discs, sportier trims and place it within 40k premium of regular Baleno and still have a good profitable model despite the tax losses they will face due to more displacement.
Its hardly a 10-15k additional expense for any OEM to upgrade from 1.2 to 1.5 engine of same architecture unless they have to change other mechanicals like build, chassis, suspension, brakes, gearbox, etc for added power/torque. Maruti has not tasted success with the earlier boosterjet engine. Also the K15B has just 15 percent more power than the K12 dualjet. Not much of a performance boost. Instead Maruti could rather attempt for a slightly better mild-hybrid that can add maybe like 10 % more power. OR If Maruti can dual-jet the K15 and extract around 115 hp of power and price is max upto 1.2. lakhs ex-showroom more with some exterior goodies, different alloys; this may have a market. There are many i20 turbos on a the road these days compared to the Altroz turbo. So there is some market. But profits will shrink as close to 50k alone will go for additional taxes. Maruti knows it couldn't profit well from the 1.6 S-cross and had axed it; so unless numbers add up, Maruti wont even think of the same. Good part is K12/K15 series are India made unlike the 1.6 S-cross.

Maruti today needs to be the most careful as if its volumes start getting snatched; its slow death would start. It does not have a rich daddy and needs to continue to focus its energy on volume sales.
Old 27th February 2022, 14:27   #11
BHPian

If we can dream of Maruti plonking in the 1.5 K15 in the Baleno, one can also dream that the 6 speed Torque Converter that will be mated to it in Ertiga, XL6 and the Brezza shall make its way in the Baleno.
Now 6 Speed Torque Converter K15 Baleno. Now Imagine that.
umohan98 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 15:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Guess the K12N dualjet MRP is for the one with mild hybrid and not the one with non-hybrid dual-jet.
Nope, it's for the new Baleno 2022.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 07:15   #13
BHPian

It still makes less power and torque than my 2017 Honda Jazz ivtec with 1.5 litre engine (manual). While I am not actively looking to replace my Jazz, I am still searching for a hot or warm hatch that is as versatile as my Jazz with matching reliability and service costs.

When I was in India, I wanted the Jazz with the 1.5 litre engine. It never happened.

A full review of my 1.5 Jazz coming soon.

Maruti builds Baleno 1.5L, but only for exports-img_20220228_123640.jpg
Mr.Ogre is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:51   #14
BHPian

To maintain their overall positionaing, etc. they can just plonk the 1.5 in the Toyota Glanza & call it Glanza sport of whatever like the Etios Liva Sport.

Keeps the Baleno positioning, Toyota brand will help get premium, customers gets more option - everyone is happy. Ofcourse, should continue with the CVT for auto.
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think the Indian tax norms are to blame here. If a 1.5L petrol engine is added to Baleno, GST slab shoots up from 28+1% to 28+17%. This additional tax (along with engine cost) will be a no no in this segment.

One way is to give 1.0L turbo petrol, but I am not sure if it is anymore available in the portfolio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks