Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2022, 14:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki unveils 1.5-litre petrol-hybrid engine; Could debut on upcoming mid-size SUV

Suzuki has unveiled a hybrid version of its 1.5-litre petrol engine in Europe. The new 'K15C' power unit pairs the 1.5-litre petrol unit with an electric motor and produces a combined power output of 115 BHP and 138 Nm. The hybrid power unit drives either the front wheels or all four wheels and is paired with a 6-speed AMT.

Name:  suzukivitarahybrid.jpg
Views: 2690
Size:  106.9 KB

The new 'K15C' hybrid powertrain has been introduced in the Suzuki Vitara SUV in Europe. The powertrain allows the SUV to run on pure-EV mode for low-speed applications while assisting the petrol unit when driving hard. With the petrol-hybrid powertrain, Suzuki claims a fuel efficiency figure of 22.5 km/l (WLTP cycle) for the Vitara.

According to a media report, the new petrol-hybrid powertrain from Suzuki could make its way to India. It is expected to debut in the Indian market on Maruti Suzuki and Toyota's upcoming mid-size SUV, which will rival the Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos. Maruti Suzuki has not confirmed these reports though.

Source: Zigwheels

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 15th March 2022 at 14:53.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 16:14   #2
BHPian

Re: Suzuki unveils 1.5-litre petrol-hybrid engine; Could debut on upcoming mid-size SUV

I thought hybrid will have higher mileage @30-35 km/l and higher torque. Looks like an improved version of smart hybrid. Hybrids with 30 km/l range will be gamechanger in india, without range anxiety and till battery charging/infrastructure matures
bullock-Car is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 16:25   #3
BHPian

Re: Suzuki unveils 1.5-litre petrol-hybrid engine; Could debut on upcoming mid-size SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The hybrid power unit drives either the front wheels or all four wheels and is paired with a 6-speed AMT.
So the transmission is an AMT. That means the 6 speed auto in the refreshed Brezza also will be AMT
NICHE is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 18:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
So the transmission is an AMT. That means the 6 speed auto in the refreshed Brezza also will be AMT
It is clarified by members in the Brezza thread that the Updated Brezza will get a proper Automatic transmission(6AT).
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 19:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks like CAFE and other similar norms will kill off traditional torque converter automatic. It's either jerky AMT(used to own one)or unreliable DCT.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 20:03   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It is clarified by members in the Brezza thread that the Updated Brezza will get a proper Automatic transmission(6AT).
Yes, but not sure why Suzuki will put a cheaper AMT in the international Vitara while a costlier torque converter in an India-spec Brezza. The reverse can be true. That too when Baleno also gets an AMT instead of CVT.

The UK review doesn't paint a good picture:

Last edited by romeomidhun : 15th March 2022 at 20:14.
romeomidhun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 20:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Yes, but not sure why Suzuki will put a cheaper AMT in the international Vitara while a costlier torque converter in an India-spec Brezza. The reverse can be true. That too when Baleno also gets an AMT instead of CVT.
Suzuki does not have a CVT in their line up at the moment, it's only AMT or what Suzuki calls AGS. The only Suzuki branded cars with proper autos are the rebadged Toyota Corollas and Rav4s they sell in Europe.
Old 15th March 2022, 20:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Suzuki has unveiled a hybrid version of its 1.5-litre petrol engine in Europe. The new 'K15C' power unit pairs the 1.5-litre petrol unit with an electric motor and produces a combined power output of 115 BHP and 138 Nm.
Somehow these numbers look quite unimpressive for a new hybrid petrol engine. If I am not mistaken, Suzuki's K15 engine (the non-hybrid version of this same K15C engine) already makes about 103BHP and the same 138Nm of torque (the configuration that is available on S-Cross 1.5 in India). Thus, the electric motor in this hybrid K15C engine adds only 12 BHP and 0 Nm of torque. Does not sound impressive at all.

From my experience of Suzuki petrol engines, I found them sweet and refined. I like Suzuki petrol engines. But somehow they are lagging big time in power and performance compared to the competitors. I would have expected better numbers from a brand new 1.5L hybrid petrol engine in this day and era.
Dr.AD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 20:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Suzuki does not have a CVT in their line up at the moment, it's only AMT or what Suzuki calls AGS. The only Suzuki branded cars with proper autos are the rebadged Toyota Corollas and Rav4s they sell in Europe.
That would be incorrect information, the European s-cross does come with a TC unit.
Old 15th March 2022, 21:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer1988 View Post
That would be incorrect information, the European s-cross does come with a TC unit.
I could be wrong, but wasn't this the Fiat sourced dual clutch that was an option only on the Fiat diesel engine powered Suzuki models?

In the UK currently the new S Cross is only available as a 6 speed manual.

https://cars.suzuki.co.uk/new-cars/s...ModelSelector=
Old 15th March 2022, 21:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I could be wrong, but wasn't this the Fiat sourced dual clutch that was an option only on the Fiat diesel engine powered Suzuki models?

In the UK currently the new S Cross is only available as a 6 speed manual.

https://cars.suzuki.co.uk/new-cars/s...ModelSelector=
Actually if you go further down on there, you can see a 1350 pounds add on.
Suzuki unveils 1.5-litre petrol-hybrid engine; Could debut on upcoming mid-size SUV-screen-shot-20220315-9.02.04-am.png
bimmer1988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 22:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Somehow these numbers look quite unimpressive for a new hybrid petrol engine. If I am not mistaken, Suzuki's K15 engine (the non-hybrid version of this same K15C engine) already makes about 103BHP and the same 138Nm of torque (the configuration that is available on S-Cross 1.5 in India). Thus, the electric motor in this hybrid K15C engine adds only 12 BHP and 0 Nm of torque. Does not sound impressive at all.

From my experience of Suzuki petrol engines, I found them sweet and refined. I like Suzuki petrol engines. But somehow they are lagging big time in power and performance compared to the competitors. I would have expected better numbers from a brand new 1.5L hybrid petrol engine in this day and era.
The quoted figures of 115BHP and 138Nm torque are for the Dualjet version of K15 only, codenamed K15C, similar to what Celerio or New Baleno got. They have focused on efficiency and refinement largely.

The ISG motor has separate ratings which wasn't quoted publicly even in case of K15B. Example: Power and Torque ratings of MGUs (Explained! How Maruti's SHVS System Works)
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 23:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
I thought hybrid will have higher mileage @30-35 km/l and higher torque. Looks like an improved version of smart hybrid. Hybrids with 30 km/l range will be gamechanger in india, without range anxiety and till battery charging/infrastructure matures
The declared fuel efficiency of 22.5kmpl is as per WLTP test cycle. It's the most stringent FE and emission testing cycle as on date worldwide.

Indian vehicles are tested as per MIDC test cycle. And therefore, the declared efficiency figures will most likely exceed 30kmpl here (for same vehicle).
AutoNoob is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 06:04   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
As per the source: https://s.response.jp/article/2022/03/15/355232.html, the electric output is 33PS in addition to Petrol engine output.

Vitara's full hybrid model will be equipped with a "K15C" 1.5-liter in-line 4-cylinder gasoline engine. The maximum output is 115ps / 6000rpm and the maximum torque is 14.1kgm / 4400rpm. The belt-driven "MGU" motor, which has a motor and generator integrated, draws a maximum output of 33ps and a maximum torque of 6.1kgm.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 16th March 2022 at 06:06.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 09:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The quoted figures of 115BHP and 138Nm torque are for the Dualjet version of K15 only, codenamed K15C, similar to what Celerio or New Baleno got. They have focused on efficiency and refinement largely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
As per the source: https://s.response.jp/article/2022/03/15/355232.html, the electric output is 33PS in addition to Petrol engine output.
Thank you to both of you for the clarification. Yes, this makes more sense. The reason I got confused was because the original news item mentioned "combined output" of 115BHP and 138Nm, and did not say that was only from the petrol engine and the electric motor will have separate numbers. Please see the original text I was referring to (the emphasis is added by me):

Quote:
The new 'K15C' power unit pairs the 1.5-litre petrol unit with an electric motor and produces a combined power output of 115 BHP and 138 Nm.
Anyways, thank you for clarifying this.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 16th March 2022 at 09:26.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks