Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2022, 14:41   #16
BHPian

re: The ideal two-car garage on a budget

Great thread!! This exact thought has been in my mind for a while as well - especially when I did my last upgrade. I wasn't convinced about spending 50 lakhs on a BMW X1 or 2 series (jack of all trades).

So I got myself a Hyundai Tucson (30 lakhs) and will consider a Mahindra Thar in the near future (20 lakhs) for more specialized offroading OR a VW Polo GTI for more performance.
Pyrotek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 15:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
By the way, you have got a great two car garage. Those two cars complement each other quite well. Congratulations!
Thanks Dr.A.D! The combination is indeed very satisfying. Especially I observed that the i20's interiors looks more appealing than the costlier CSUVs from Hyundai of today. I believe that CSUVs make you pay for the height as a compromise.

P.S : But the heart always yearns for more, I do miss a Octavia like performance sedan in lieu of the hatch. vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My FIL maintained two cars for a very long time, until last year.
Then he had the wedding car, only to be used to show up at weddings. .
That's on point way of putting it. The wedding car!
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 16:55   #18
BHPian

For the last decade or so we have had a two car garage (3 car for a brief period). My sister drives and I also.
We used to have a Vista, which was complemented by a Nano AMT in 2016 which then was complemented with the Škoda Superb (PW) that I bought specifically for meetings and stuff (became an entrepreneur and it helps to arrive in a luxobarge). The Vista was sold in 2019 and the Superb in late 2020 (pandemic VS entrepreneur). Replaced the Superb with a Petrol Manza, which I picked from my bestie.

My ideal 2 car garage - and something I plan to have - will be an EV (like the Tigor) for city work and 90% of driving. And a large MUV/ SUV or fast sedan for the long drives.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 17:07   #19
BHPian

Currently we have a 15 year old Grand Vitara AT and a 14 year old Santro AT.
The Santro is used for all city trips. And the Grand Vitara is for trails, highways and all trips where a tough car is needed.

We intend to hang on to both of these till 2026 end.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 17:24   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The ideal two-car garage on a budget

A fast sedan and a great SUV would be my ideal two-car garage. I currently have a 6-cylinder diesel sedan, a 4x4, a turbo-petrol limousine and a beater car. But I have parking space for 8 cars and in a dream world, would love to fill all of those spots up .

If not an SUV, a fast sedan and a sporty coupe would be my ideal two-car garage. Would love to buy one, but am test-driving so many cars that it would be totally unused. In the last 8 days, I've driven the Compass Diesel AT, Altroz DCT & updated ZS EV. My own cars are standing still, connected to trickle chargers :(.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 09:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have always have been clear that I need two cars and one car in the house will not suffice. For various reasons - e.g. (a)there are two drivers with independent workplaces having to commute regularly, (b) alternative available if and when one car is in the garage for repair/service, and (c) most importantly, variety in driving enjoyment when one gets momentarily bored of one car (if that is even a thing!).

With this thought process in mind, we have now graduated from two small hatchbacks in the house (a Swift and a Brio, both of which were super fun to punt around) to a sedan and a compact SUV - i.e. Honda City iVTEC and Ford Ecosport TDCI.

Both cars are very different in character, but both are super fun to drive and practical/reliable as daily drivers. While one is a fast and high revving sedan with loads of space and comfort, the other is a mini-brute with superb ground clearance for those terrible Bangalore roads/monsoon water logging and loads of torque for those expressway overtaking moves. In my budget, I do believe this is one of the best combinations that I could have had and I enjoy driving both for their respective attributes and strengths. And oh - both are manual transmission cars with the added fun of fast gearshifts. I am yet to be swayed by the allure of automatics.

A fast early morning run with butter smooth gearshifts in the Honda iVTEC is wonderfully complemented by pull from the lovely torquey TDCI mill in the Ecosport.
arindambasu13 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 10:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have an old school Jeep as the only car and it works out for us. If I was in the market for a second car I would look for a hatchback or an MPV.

If there were wagons on sale in India, I would have gone for one but alas. Secretly I wish there was a wagon body style based on Virtus. Within the hatchback space I would go for i20 or Jazz but with more lean towards Jazz.
Within the MPV space, XL6 or Carens.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 13:58   #23
BHPian

Lovely thread. My 2 car garage comprises of a Tata Hexa XTA and a Tata Nano XTA. I was formerly a TaMo employee and hence the brand loyalty, mind you there were no employee discounts.

The Nano was purchased to let the three women in the household - the Missus and 2 daughters - get their driving licences. During the pandemic all 3 acquired their driving licence and are confident drivers. The Nano is a life-saver in the narrow by-lanes around my house and a hoot to drive like a hooligan. The AC is capable of giving frostbite in peak summer.

The Hexa is a sublime, comfortable sub-continent crosser and a very comfortable sofa on wheels with a 10 speaker JBL system and an extra subwoofer added under the co-driver seat to add oomph to the OE sub already in the tailgate. Both vehicles are automatic for convenience and safety (both hands on the steering). A lifetime of heavy clutches and both me and the Missus being beyond half-century means gimpy left knees after an hour of stop-go traffic in a manual vehicle.

I'd love to add a Willys CJ to the collection as that's the only convertible that may be practical and affordable in India.

Last edited by Ferruccio : 28th March 2022 at 14:09.
Ferruccio is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 14:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

My ideal two car garage on a "realistic budget of 50 lakhs " would be a Thar HT Petrol AT and a Skoda Octavia.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th March 2022 at 14:15. Reason: You have repeatedly been requested to capitalize your starting word. Request you to be more careful.
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th March 2022, 15:53   #25
BHPian

We have 2 cars, which is a sedan and an MPV and co-incidentally, both are preowned, which were bought 1 year apart.

The sedan (2014 Honda City iDTEC) is used by myself and mom for daily commute to office as well as occasionally driven on highways, while the MPV (2011 Innova D-4D) is my dad's daily driver and mostly driven by chauffeur as well as occasionally driven by myself and dad.

Both are Manuals, btw. But, decided that our next cars as the replacement for both cars will be an Automatic.

Now, we have decided to part ways with Innova as our usage doesn't warrant a 7 seater vehicle anymore since the car is mostly driven in the city limits as well as occasionally on highways and we hardly travel with 7 persons. And, since its a 11 year old car, expenses are piling up and the car has run close to 2L Kms (1.96L Kms to be precise).

And, the replacement for Innova would be a Diesel AT Crossover as it would suffice our usage.

Coming to Honda City, we might replace it with a Petrol AT Sedan like Slavia/Virtus or an EV like MG ZS EV or Nexon EV.

In the near future, my garage might get fiiled with the combination of Diesel AT Crossover as a primary car+Petrol AT Sedan or an EV as a second car.

And, at the price of one Fortuner 2WD MT, which is priced more than 40L OTR, I'd prefer getting a Seltos Diesel AT as a daily driver and a Slavia/Virtus 1.5 DSG for having fun on twisties or a Thar for off-roading activities.
car_guy1998 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 16:23   #26
BHPian

Within a budget of 55 lakhs, my ideal two-car garage would comprise of
1. Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG
- Fast, thrilling, elegant looking.
- Stonker of a turbo-petrol. Would have preferred the TDI, but VAG have other plans. *sigh*
- Cheapest proper VAG car. MQB-A0-IN cars are evidently inferior.
- No sunroof is actually a boon. Lower maintenance and less headache.
- Infinite mod potential

2. Mahindra Thar D-Manual
- Classic looks, proper hardware, fun from the moment you hit the throttle.
- The mHawk is a jewel of a motor.
- Compact footprint would make city runs easy too.
- Street cred is unparalled
- Infinite mod potential.

P.S If the 5-Door Thar adds a better-tuned suspension, some essential kit, and higher states of tune for the diesel engine, it would be just perfect.
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 16:33   #27
BHPian

I have had 2 cars in my garage since 2014 and they perfectly serve my needs. Nano Twist and New Fiat Linea T-jet. Nano for in-city driving and Tjet for highway trips. Both have covered almost the same kms in almost 7 years of ownership with no major concerns.

Nano has been a blessing in city traffic with its small turning radius, light steering and nice peppy engine. Have had innumerous grocery, family function trips etc. within city over the years.

T-jet has served me well over the years with many highway runs, trips. It has been going good so far and have hardly faced any major issue as such. Have been able to maintain them well so far.

Nano and Linea T-jet combo has worked out a good ideal combination for me so far. In fact my only dilemma is that if I can choose a single car down the line, will I ever have one which can come close to this combo!
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 16:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I would actually be more content with a three-car garage but as this is a two-car topic, For me this would be a well built SUV and a performance Sedan.
Jeep Compass and Skoda Octavia tick the boxes perfectly!
Old 28th March 2022, 16:55   #29
BHPian

My 2 car garage strategy:

1. A smooth well mannered safe sedan that i use for the highways: Currently the Jetta being replaced by the Octavia in a couple of weeks.
2. A convenient hatchback that i use for city runs: Currently the i20 that i hope to replace with an EV hatch or compact SUV hatch by late next year.
RoadTrippin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 18:48   #30
BHPian

Ideally, without stretching my dreams into luxury territory, my ideal 2 car garage would be:

1. EV for city runs. Something like the Nexon EV would be perfect. Though additional battery would not hurt.
Also, would help me negate my guilt (to some extent) of getting a gas guzzler (refer point 2 below)

2. A highway mile muncher which can be used for outstation trips. This would be a 7 seater if extended family also plans to join. Something like the Tata Safari / XUV7OO / Innova Crysta. If I stretch my choice, then it would be a Toyota Fortuner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks