Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2004, 00:48   #1
BHPian

When I went for the autoshow in chicago, one of the coolest looking cars for the masses I saw was (to my suprise) a chrysler 300c..its a very royal/classy old-ish but still modern looking machine which can do wondering in this country..

it has everything going for it, price, looks, built quality, merc parts, space etc..that it will give C class a big competition if it were to be launched..

what do you guys think, will it be a good idea for them to launch it in India?? ofcourse detune the engine, may be a much lighter engine, reducing the cost further..since with good options its like 25,000$$ but with a smaller egine the price would come down to 22,000$ or something which then can be priced around 22-26 lakhs..right around C..I think its a much better car for the money..C is just too small..

then the bigger engine(5.7lit) with more horse power can be in competition with the E since it will be right around 30-35 lakhs

here are some snaps..

Old 6th March 2004, 02:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great pics dude . The car is modern but at the same time it has the retro feel to it
Lets see how it goes down with the people

Cheers
Old 6th March 2004, 08:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

can be easliy done considering it uses bits from the W210 Merc - drive line, floor pan components and the diesel engines on offer for europe
Old 7th March 2004, 18:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes Benz as a brand is very big in India. It's a name that will sell. Everyone knows what a Mercedes Benz is. I don't think the same can be said about Chrysler. That's why Daimler-Chrysler will think a lot before introducing Chrysler in India.
Old 10th March 2004, 09:15   #5
BHPian

Hmm..but then how come hyundai launched in india?? they didnt have any sort of name in india..but what chrysler has going for them is the name diamler attached to it, if DC wants they can bring this car and use an add where they show the different cars from their stable including this one, which will give the sense to indian customers that this is something which can be relied upon..just like the benz..i dont know..thought it was doable..

cheers
Old 10th May 2004, 22:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

C4S,
That car is based on the W210 E
DC is planning to get the Jeep now in a year but the dealer's meet they had in jaipur was not convincing enuf for the dealers i saw the showroom plans etc. And they plan to price it at abt 30 Lac so the dealers not so sure abt it. Let's wait and watch.
And they did study the chrysler brand some time back and even were firm to get the neon but then backed out...

but if chrysler came in ... along shud come the Viper!
Old 11th May 2004, 00:55   #7
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

i doubt they will be able to price it below 40 - 45 lakhs. Also advertising is alone not enough to let the people know abt the company. They also have to price the car competetively.
Old 11th May 2004, 01:07   #8
BHPian

I agree its a difficult choice, but bold moves need to be made and right kind of advertisement and pricing can do wonders..look at honda..chrysler is not a small brand, especially now that it is connected to benz..they have good reliability and are very well known for putting concepts on the road..(I pray for the ME-4-12, a true hyper car)..

anyhow pricing is not going to be an issue here I think..but the issue would be how to make it right hand drive..chryslers as far as i know are all lhd, to have a plant which makes right hand drive without a big market is no feassible..but if they did...i think you have a very up market sedan which can meet about 2/3rd volume sales of that of E class india...

I have seen it and it has a tremendous amount of presence and class on the road..

pricing starts @ high end accord and ends somewhere in the lower end of E240s which is very good price range...what we have in india for E is also no high end model..so I was just hoping..

anyhow..jeep I dont care about too much..but yes viper...ohhhh god please...and the crossfire and few other great cars from this stable..

Cheers

Old 11th May 2004, 01:12   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

I have seen it and it has a tremendous amount of presence and class on the road..
I agree. Somehow I love the profile of Chryslers and Dodges (especially Dodge trucks and SUVs). They sit really wide and low....makes for a very meaty profile.

GTO
Old 11th May 2004, 01:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 10 2004,11:42)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

I agree. Somehow I love the profile of Chryslers and Dodges (especially Dodge trucks and SUVs). They sit really wide and low....makes for a very meaty profile.

GTO
Yeah and the new dodge magnum, wow I like that too, for what it is..I will post a pic soon...gotta run to eat food

Chao..
Old 11th May 2004, 01:58   #11
BHPian

nice pix. cool retro design with more metal and those gunslit windows. love the wheels too.....look 19" or 20" to me. aint this the one with the hemi v8?

chrysler dont have the reputation of honda or toyota in india. hyundai, which was practically unknown, entered india with the santro, which turned out to be a resounding success......and it was later followed by the successful accent and then the sonata and terracan. but that was a pretty long time back.

times are different now......i think chrysler will not bring in cars that cost as much as a merc, and spend time building the brand image. moreover then it will eat into DCIL's own share. with that kinda money, ppl wud obviously go for a merc. if ever they can bring a car for 10-15 lakhs or so, it wud be really interesting to see how they compete and how things shape up.

Old 11th May 2004, 02:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

different strategies for different markets. Mercedes is too big a name in the Indian market now, and quite the status symbol too. if a chrysler product would be introduced say having the sam price range as a Merc product, guess which one would people go for? that's right, the merc. don't get me wrong, the new gen indian buyer is a very intelligent buyer, but that three-pointed star is just too much to resist and everything else that comes with it. and if tht's the case, DCIL would start losing money invested in introducing another product that loses out to it's own sister brand.
Old 11th May 2004, 02:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

umm..weren't they supposed to add a Hemi engine to the 300C engine configurations ?
Old 11th May 2004, 02:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ported_head @ May 10 2004,12:55)]different strategies for different markets. Mercedes is too big a name in the Indian market now, and quite the status symbol too. if a chrysler product would be introduced say having the sam price range as a Merc product, guess which one would people go for? that's right, the merc. don't get me wrong, the new gen indian buyer is a very intelligent buyer, but that three-pointed star is just too much to resist and everything else that comes with it. and if tht's the case, DCIL would start losing money invested in introducing another product that loses out to it's own sister brand.
I know ppl will prefer the 3 pointed star no doubt, but hold on few years..this will no longer be the case, also there are tons of ppl including my household who already have what benz has to offer and would like something different, I currently know sunil mital, yes the bharti owner, he has 2 S class, 2 Es what for, cuz he doesnt want to get into the hassel of ordering cars from outside and he is not that interested in them besides for the comfi ride..want something which he can go pick up from a showroom..so there you go..tons of ppl out there who want something different..this is a great alternative..but i guess due to the lhd rhd problem no a feasible one for DCIL

yes it has the v8 hemi engine..

Cheers

Old 11th May 2004, 04:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

wow nice to see a few old threads i started up and they're doin so well! Yep congrats ME! lol

BTW guys chrysler = Not happening in near future..
All that they have plans for are Jeep / Commercial merc vehicles

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks