Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2004, 10:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hi all...
A few weeks after i had got my palio S10, i was called to pick up the RC book from Anuroop at Goregaon. I was talking with the guys there when i asked them for a test drive of the Palio Diesel. Few minutes later i was sitting in that car and off we went. From Anuroop to Dana Pani beach and then back to Malad and Goregaon for a spin. The total time i test drove the car was about 30 minutes! 3 of us were in the car and with A/c working i did manage to get a fair idea of the diesel palio. We went up hill, got stuck in traffic, got empty stretches to rev the car and almost everthing.
The Palio Diesel impressed me with it's torque. 3 ppl on boared with A/c working , driving at about 60 kmph in 5th gear, the car picked up speed while climbing uphill in Malad! Also, the engine i thought was pretty quiet. The only other diesels i have driven are the Qualis, Scorpio and Pajero. Scorpio i felt was more noiser. Anywaz, the palio did impress me and it had the petrol's plus points of superlative ride quality too. Another great car and the elx comes with air bags, ABS, EBD too!.
But it was the loooooong test drive that the dealer gave me which amazed me. Probably cuz i was a palio owner but even when i wanted to buy the S10, Anuroop gave me a goood test drive in that car, longer than what other dealers normally are willing to give. MUL dealers are the worst. Resham motors was clse to my house and we wanted to test the wagon r and alto vxi. Just about 0.5kms of driving and the dealer said, ok turn back here! Of course i didnt bother to listen to him but how can anyone say that after just 0.5kms and about 2 mins of driving? Fiat dealer was better in this respect wasn't he?
Old 2nd May 2004, 11:07   #2
BHPian

yes they really are trying hard lol they are the underdogs ..
the palio D has Drive by wire and also a clutch pedal position sensor...amongst other stuff... it is not one of the but "the" best diesel car in its segment..its very refined and c'mmon which car has drive by wire in this segment..

Old 2nd May 2004, 11:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey Amit,

Actually one of the longest test drives i have taken from a dealer was when i was test driving the Sienna 1.6 from shamman motors. It was about 30mins as well and was quite eventful. I asked the guy who was sent with me how long a drive we could go for..and he gave the standard answer "fuel gauge dekho...fuel hi nahi hai"... (which is a conjob because every1 knows how long u can go on reserve + sometimes they disconnect the fuel gauage). So i offered to fill fuel and they he said he wouldnt mind even if i took the car to khandala. (but i chose seaface)
Later on i just happened to get pulled over by a cop for taking a "fun" u-turn, so as i was parked and the cop was walking towards the car i told the guy that i didnt have a driving liscence and then he got damn scared and started abusing the showroom people for never checking...hahaha..
but then i just chatted with the cop for a bit, played with his walkie talkie, checked out his enfield and then he let me go

Then on seaface did some 80-0braking tests as well as 160-0braking tests, i have driven the 1.6 before on the highway...nice car..but never got a chance to do some serious braking. This is however where the car failed to impress me, the braking wasnt bad, but the pedal was soft and it was just impossible to lock up the tires, which is not to my liking as i like to be able to modulate the braking.

twas a fun day
cya
Rehaan

ps - oh i forgot to mention that i DID have my liscence..always do..... and that i never did end up filling fuel

Old 2nd May 2004, 13:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fiat is really trying to better their service from what I can make out after your test drive of the Palio D. For the price and space, it is by far the best diesel in the segment. The Zen D cant come into the picture since its too tiny in front of the Palio. I guess even I should go down for a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]but then i just chatted with the cop for a bit, played with his walkie talkie, checked out his enfield and then he let me go

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Then on seaface did some 80-0braking tests as well as 160-0braking tests, i have driven the 1.6 before on the highway...nice car..but never got a chance to do some serious braking.
Rehaan ... realllyyy??
Old 7th May 2004, 00:55   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]But it was the loooooong test drive that the dealer gave me which amazed me. Probably cuz i was a palio owner but even when i wanted to buy the S10, Anuroop gave me a goood test drive in that car, longer than what other dealers normally are willing to give. MUL dealers are the worst. Resham motors was clse to my house and we wanted to test the wagon r and alto vxi. Just about 0.5kms of driving and the dealer said, ok turn back here! Of course i didnt bother to listen to him but how can anyone say that after just 0.5kms and about 2 mins of driving? Fiat dealer was better in this respect wasn't he?
Dude, its simply a typical human tendency. If Fiat was selling by the droves and had a 50% market share, no ways you would get a 30 minute test-drive. Thats explains your case with Maruti.

Strange parallel, but have you ever visited a night club when its really popular and rocking every weekend. The service sucks, you have to wait in line to get inside and to the bar, and the staff behave like they are doing you a favor. Fast forward to apprx three years later when the same club is a "has been" and see the excellent service that you will receive.

Thats why even Mitsubishi will drive to your house right now and let you test the Invex for over an hour. Ask Dippy, he drove from Mahim Church to Worli seaface and back on the testdrive. Ditto for Revvmaster, he went all around the bandra worli sealink and the highway for his test.

GTO
Old 14th May 2004, 13:26   #6

yeah fiat dealers in this regard say nothing coz the other day when the 1.6 was introduced i went to the dealer from where i had purchased the 1.2 ! i asked for a test drive and the manager called for the car i live in hyderabad and there is this rd called necklace road i managed to clock 155-160 and he never dared to say a word although i later realised that he wasn't able to talk for the next 30 minz !!!
Old 14th May 2004, 15:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

I really hope they keep a 1.6 GTX for test driving now that we have news that they do sell the 1.6 on order.I have test driven it before but i wanna do it again
Old 14th May 2004, 16:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ May 02 2004,10:15)]played with his walkie talkie,...
hmmm...so thats what you kids call it nowadays huh!!

Sori bro, couldn't help myself!! lmao!

(sometimes I crack myself up!)
Old 14th May 2004, 22:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well amit i beg to differ

The question really is how u approach a dealer which is very important. Firstly, if u know about cars, let the salesguys know that u do know. That way they feel that u are a potential client. Secondly, always open the bonnet, check the seating and look around before you start. It works with me. Case in point. My extremely longish drive of 45 minutes in a 200CDi, 35 minutes in a Baleno and close to an hour in the Invex as GTO pointed out.

Remember people, flaunt what you know about cars, especiallyw ith dealers and stalls at autoshows. You sometimes end up getting things and services you wouldnt even expect. Also, Maruti does let you have a longer go in a car if u know how to talk. Its the approach that really matters.

Keep revvin ™
Revvmaster
Old 14th May 2004, 23:40   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Keep revvin ?
I am sorry...OT...but I just cant stop laughing whenever I see that trademark you have attached to keep revving.

Its great to have you back Revv

GTO
Old 15th May 2004, 05:50   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ May 14 2004,14:38)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ May 02 2004,10:15)]played with his walkie talkie,...
hmmm...so thats what you kids call it nowadays huh!! * * * *

Sori bro, couldn't help myself!! lmao!

(sometimes I crack myself up!)
hahaha...

well u got me there pal.
alteast no money was involved

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks