Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2004, 10:51   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys,

What ever happened to the Indica Sport?

Sounded like it was really going to be a fun deal! The last i heard (exactly a year ago) it was comming up soon.....but it never showed!
Have they put all that R&D to use in their rally cars and decided not to go ahead with the indica sport? or has the car been launched and i dont know about it?

cya
R
Old 16th May 2004, 19:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I read somewhere that Tata is constrained for capacity, and thus delayed this variant of the Indica alongwith the Estate version.

Butttttttttttt the Indica Sport is yet too slow to be considered competitive. We saw some being driven in a pedal to the metal manner at Bombays SpeedRun and they were literally crawlers! Look what happened to the Palio 1.6 GTX, do you think its wise for Tata to introduce the Indica Sports? If purely as an image building exercise...probably. But surely not on the numbers front. I dont see too many team-BHPians lining up to put their deposit if Tata does launch the Sport.

GTO
Old 16th May 2004, 20:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

isnt one on display at the TATA showroom at worli?? the yellow one? saw it last month when i was in bbay..
Old 16th May 2004, 21:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

yup, the one in Worli and the crawlers are the only ones i have ever seen. though when i did visit the Tata Motors factory last month or so, i saw quite a few of them running around. not to forget the CityRover. which didnt look that bad, i thnink the bigger wheels did it.
coming back to the indica sport, i was mighty excited when i saw J.Anand drifting it through a corner in a Autocar issue. maybe the market isnt ready for hot hatches. maybe the sport has seemed to die its natural death.
Old 17th May 2004, 12:16   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 16 2004,18:16)]We saw some being driven in a pedal to the metal manner at Bombays SpeedRun
Hey GTO,

Werent the ones at the speedrun the rally indicas as opposed to the "indica sport".
Either way, if the rally preped versions are slow, dont know how fast the road version is gonna be! However, i was more interested in the handling than the speed of the car..... i guess we shall just have to wait and see!

cya
R
Old 17th May 2004, 13:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

well, TATA are working on a 120Hp Indica Sport. The Rally Indica's were slow coz, well, aside from that paint job and roll cage, nothing else has been done to them. No engine mods, no free flow nothing.

It was basically a R&D exercise for TATA before they entered the National Rally Championship. But, seeing how utterly unreliable the cars were, they pulled the plug on the whole deal.
Old 17th May 2004, 13:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

I agree with rtech . The ones at the Speed Run were Rally Indicas and were provided to the lady participants out there . The Indica Sport is supposed to be an entirely different concept. It was shown in Autocar just once but no sign of it whatsoever after that. Maybe it was just a concept to see what response it would evoke.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks