Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2022, 21:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Indian Driving Licence | How to protect it & keep it from fading

Is the hard copy required? I have been using one from Digilocker everywhere. I even used it in Seychelles without issue. I have used it outside my state as well. Wondering if there is a need for hard copy in specific place that I am not aware of. Thanks
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 05:51   #17

I got my license in 2006, laminated. Till date it remains the same - no fading. I use it as a ID proof always. Lamination should keep it safe.
Old 28th May 2022, 08:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

I use any cover that just fit the licence/RC (Polythene or paper). My current one is a lens certificate cover. I keep the same in left horizontal pocket (coin slot?) in my wallet.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Driving Licence | How to protect it & keep it from fading-img_20220528_075854.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th May 2022 at 08:29. Reason: Typo
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 11:00   #19
BHPian

Hello

I use Digilocker and colour photocopy laminated, touch wood in my 30 years of driving i have never been stopped or asked for my DL.

Sanjeev
Sanjeev V S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 11:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Just one doubt, does the DL fit in this type of wallet with this sleeve on it?
Will not fit in these precise slots. So I do not laminate. Instead, I have made a color copy on a plastic card of the same size, and keep it with me. Digilocker to support in case someone questions its authenticity.

Also keeping the original documents with me everywhere is risky in case I lose my purse. Real paranoia for me is that, again will have to apply to government offices for duplicate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaminathan View Post
I got my license in 2006, laminated. Till date it remains the same - no fading. I use it as a ID proof always. Lamination should keep it safe.
That was paper licence, I guess? The chip based one we get nowadays are the ones that fade.
BhaskarG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 17:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

If the license fades, just go to RTO and ask them to give you a new card. BTW I have not had a problem with either my License, RC Cards or any other smart cards fading.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 12:17   #22
BHPian

Re: License Renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Simple, keep it safely in your locker and use digilocker
This is what I do. And just yesterday it just cost me.

I was claiming insurance on my car for not so major ding and when it came to submitting my docs. My driving license was not accessible on digilocker. All other docs were and I was not carrying any physical docs.

In this image observe that the License file is inactive. I am not able to open this file now.

Name:  DigiLocker.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  51.5 KB

My Advice would be always keep backup on google drive or something. If this would have happened in front of a cop, he would have surely fined me.
Had to go back home and get the docs.

Last edited by frewper : 29th May 2022 at 12:18.
frewper is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 12:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
There is a simplest way to keep it safe. Take a color xerox of the original and laminate it. It looks exactly like the original. I have produced it to police outside TG too and no one questioned me to show the original. Keep the original in a file somewhere in your home locker. Do not keep it with other cards (like a pack of cards). Just keep it aside either between papers or leave as-is. All my original cards are at home. The duplicate ones are maintained in the cars/bikes. Never keep them in your wallet. I for one do not maintain a wallet (never did). I just keep some cash and my ATM card when I need it.
Such documents are normally security implication documents and are accordingly, hologram, QR coded or chip embossed and should not be duplicated. Point being if someone else uses your ID document as a photocopy for committing fraud/crime the original holder is not culpable unless proven. Therefore the advise to use a cover or digilocker are more correct options.
Old 29th May 2022, 12:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: License Renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
This is what I do. And just yesterday it just cost me.

I was claiming insurance on my car for not so major ding and when it came to submitting my docs. My driving license was not accessible on digilocker. All other docs were and I was not carrying any physical docs.

In this image observe that the License file is inactive. I am not able to open this file now.

Attachment 2313666

My Advice would be always keep backup on google drive or something. If this would have happened in front of a cop, he would have surely fined me.
Had to go back home and get the docs.
No worries, use the DigiLocker WhatsApp number to get your licence. Save the MyGov WhatsApp number 9013151515 and message the word DigiLocker on it. It will list the menu of all your documents that you have and send you whichever you need within seconds.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 12:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since years, I've been using a plastic cover like this one. No issues.

Attachment 2312827
I had kept mine like this, but the print came off and got stuck to the plastic cover. Had to tape the plastic cover to the license as a workaround
ritesh_44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 15:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Kerala has it easy. We receive the DL laminated from the RTO itself.

Only thing is. It is not a card. Just two pieces of crudely cut paper glued together.

Its amazing unless it gets wet..

Our Kerala RTO are too good for themselves.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 15:21   #27

I simply applied for a new one online. Didn't even had to visit RTO as the entire process is online through T App Folio in Telangana.
Old 30th May 2022, 10:46   #28
BHPian

I've had a bad experience with the licence as well as RC's fading off over a period of time when you keep them in a wallet. I tend to sit on them too often. Might work for some guys who carry their wallet around in thier hands.

The plastic cover that some suggested too results in a bit of the black lettering coming off if its kept in once place for a long time especially with some weight on top of it.

The only solution that worked for me was to get a metal card holder. The kinds you get for credit cards. Its like a small box with holders inside for around 10 cards. Check if that works for you.
Attached Images

theqca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 16:18   #29
BHPian

Why not just get a fresh one (replacement) issued once the old one wears out? Why lose sleep over a license fading for a decade when getting a replacement is super easy! This is just OCD
bordeaux is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 17:39   #30
BHPian

Applying for a duplicate license would also not be a bad option in my personal view.

You would find agents providing the service for a small fee or you could do it yourselves online or offline.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks