Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?
I have owned a VW/Skoda car before and would buy their India 2.0 cars 158 22.41%
I have owned a VW/Skoda car before and would not buy their India 2.0 cars 147 20.85%
I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and would buy their India 2.0 cars 158 22.41%
I have never owned a VW/Skoda car and would not buy their India 2.0 cars 242 34.33%
Voters: 705. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2022, 13:02   #1
BHPian

Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?

The VW group has definitely committed a lot of resource in their India 2.0 initiative. Now they offer two crossovers and two sedans which appeal to the mass market. The quality of power-trains and stiff chassis make them the most fun to drive in their respective segments and the service costs have also come down compared to before. But as a VAG car owner I have lost confidence in their India 2.0 products. Even putting aside the initial launch hiccups (EPC, 6 airbags) these localized cars don't feel like worthy successors to their previous entry level polo/vento/rapid which in the right hands lasted a very long time without a squeak.

A close relative recently replaced her 8 year old Polo with a Taigun. Yesterday night after a nice meal we were heading back home in her 3 month old car. I was surprised to hear rattles from every door when the car went over bad roads. That got us started on the VW 2.0 plan and how she wasn't happy with rattles, the AC and the mileage. She would definitely not recommend a VW/Skoda 2.0 car to anyone else.

I am sure it makes a lot of business sense to localize and make their cars more accessible to the masses. They also might increase sales volumes in the short term compared to their horrible sales just before the 2.0 plan.

I think someone who hasn't owned a VAG car before might still buy in to this because they get good engines and chassis at a relatively lower price points. But the traditional brand fans may only stick to the brand's CKD/CBU products.

It would be interesting to see the trends on this forum
NT56 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 13:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?

Good idea for a poll!
I am a big fan of their 'OG' VW/Skoda quality cars and have shortlisted two of them for next vehicle purchase but upon driving the '2.0 cars' as you put it I cannot say I am as big a fan : )
Maky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 13:25   #3
BHPian

I would buy their 2.1 cars after they've sorted out all the niggles from the current set :P
sid3091 is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 13:55   #4
ike
BHPian

I think the real chink in the Skoda/VW armor is the DSG transmission(I have no experience with these cars, so I maybe wrong here). And it is not just Skoda, I don't think any manufacturer has succeeded in creating a reliable dual clutch gearbox. If they offer the TC in all variants of their cars I'd buy a Skoda/VW without worrying too much. Not saying that the DSG should be discontinued altogether, would be great to have the option of a TC in the Slavia/Virtus 1.5.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 14:03   #5
BHPian

I own the Vento 1.2 Tsi, a brilliant car. I am sure the new 1.5 Tsi / DSG cars are fantastic. However after the DSG issues I've faced, I will not buy another VAG car unless they provide 8 year unlimited warranty on their DSG.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 14:12   #6
BHPian

In the current iteration of '2.0', I won't. Having owned the reliable. well-built, comfortable 2008 Fabia/ 2017 Rapid DSGs, even the mere sight of a '2.0' lends a feeble feel from the outside and better, not talk about interiors. I was inspired by the 'Tank' from the first time I saw the Octavia in 2002 & enamored by the Yellow vRS in 2004 and 'Skoda' became aspirational for me. Heart ruled over head during both the purchases and those two gave me sheer joy for almost 14 years now, each time I was behind the wheel.

As a logical progression, I was waiting for the Kushaq, but again, the drab interiors/ flimsy switches, the dated look/feel of even the mirror controls, and the relatively dead-pan steering feel (compared to the 'non-2.0') ones made me drop the idea. Heart had set me again to Octavia for a quantum jump, however the softer suspension (same feel with the '2.0s) seems not to my liking coming from the stiffer-side suspension in the Fabia/ Rapid. My personal opinion is that buying a vehicle is a decision made more from the heart and even the 1.5 Slavia couldn't evoke any feels like the mere sight of a 2004 vRS even now. Wonder why companies dilute their core values and give half-baked products. It's all about economics, maybe, but, as a person who loved to remain inside the Skoda family, my next option was only the Kodiaq, but I felt that I may look out for time being. And that, ended up with booking a Jeep Compass now.

It's really sad to see such cheap localizations from the '2.0' strategy, even as product like XUV 700 can give much much better quality even after being 'localized'. I'd love to be back in the Skoda family, maybe, if they get their '3.0' right (if ever).
Mysticeyes is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 14:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

I own an Octavia since 6 years - absolutely stellar car with no issues at all and luckily my service experience has been great too. I have Jetta, Vento and Polo's in my close family and friends circle with > 1 lakh kms and they all are running perfect only with normal wear and tear. And all of these cars have aged well.

The VAG cars for me is a keeper, they age well and the mod potential is unlimited (unmatched by any other brand). After 5 years I did a remap, suspension and few other mods and again feel like its a new car and I cannot think of a replacement than 330i (even that with many compromises). So based on my experiences I will close my eyes and buy a VAG 2. After owning these German cars its very difficult to go to Asian cars - atleast for me.

But in reality will I buy a VAG again? Well the answer is most probably no, because my next upgrade will definitely be a 3 series (touchwood). But my primary car will definitely be a European.
sunikkat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 14:21   #8
BHPian

I have driven Rapid and Vento extensively in the past. And I test drove Kushaq. My 2 cents in the topic is, you feel the difference/quality reduction when you compare it to those past generation cars. But for any one coming from Non Vag stable or is a first time buyer, the quality offered with 2.0 is still at par or even better than competition.
SinghShu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 17:14   #9
GBX
BHPian

IMO, I'd rather have a 2.0 batch with squeaks and rattles than the company shut shop after 1.0 itself. We've lost Ford, Fiat, GM (and maybe Honda too) to one-and-done type strategies. (Not blaming the companies, macro-economics also plays a part)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
The quality of power-trains and stiff chassis make them the most fun to drive in their respective segments
Agreed, and for a buyer upgrading from VAG or Non-VAG products, if the above features are the prime requirements in a new car, there is simply no other choice than VAG.
GBX is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 17:49   #10
BHPian

Well, I might do that by early next year.

For one, the chip shortage may have eased a bit leading to all bells and whistles making a comeback. Secondly, we'll have enough information to understand how better their post sales experience actually is vis-a-vis promised.

Meanwhile, if Maruti decides to offer a turbocharged mill in AT avatar on the S-Cross, VW will have to wait.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 18:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Not an easy poll.

I'd rather take a call after 2 years. By then, most issues would be sorted out. The current crop of issues is similar to the issues the Vento/Polo had when it was launched. Just roll back the pages in those respective threads and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

In 2 years, you'll mostly have the supply chain issues resolved and many more electric offerings available. Plus any concerns regarding E20 fuel will be clear by then.

I like the way how their new cars and don't really care too much about the plastics as long as it lasts.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 18:43   #12
BHPian

No doubt that the VW/Skoda 2.0 cars, the Slavia/Virtus twins and the Kushaq/Taigun twins are very capable cars but I don't see myself personally buying those cars.

We have a Honda City 1.5 CVT at home and while yes the Slavia and Virtus 1.5L may be fun and capable cars but so is the City 1.5 CVT. Plus all the niggles that usually come with a VW/Skoda car, never owned a VAG car but heard WAY too many DSG related nightmare scenarios that I do not want to deal with. The City 1.5 CVT may be down about 30hp on the VW/Skoda sedans but makes up for by being a gem of an engine to drive and the usual Honda reliability.

Same with the Skoda Kushaq and the VW Taigun, they're good cars but I'd rather not have to deal with VW/Skoda niggles and their DSG gearbox problems, if I want an SUV for around 20 lakh my first choice would be a Mahindra Thar. A 2nd gen Thar LX Soft Top Diesel AT in Rage Red or Galaxy Grey would be my pick as I don't need the practicality of a 5 seater or even need 4/5 doors. Then there is also the factor of cost, my ideal VW/Skoda car around 20 lakh would be the VW Taigun GT Plus 1.5 DSG, that will cost me about 23 lakh in Bangalore which is about 2.8 lakh more than even the most expensive Thar not to mention the Skoda Kushaq 1.5 DSG Monte Carlo that goes all the way up to 24.37 Lakh.

The DQ200 DSG horror stories have been so deeply imbedded into my mind that I would legitimately take a Force Gurkha before I even go near the Kushaq or Taigun. The only VW or Skoda cars I would even consider buying are the Octavia L&K and the Superb L&K, as for the Kodiaq it's a good car yes but for my family a KIA Carnival Limousine is a better choice.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 26th May 2022 at 18:49. Reason: Forgot to add a few things.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 18:49   #13
BHPian

We have owned and still own a 2015 Polo TDI, and voted "NO" to buying 2.0 cars
Reason
- 2.0 cars are not an upgrade. If you are looking to upgrade to a newer Polo/ Vento, you will be dissatisfied with the Slavia/ Kushaq or their siblings
- A lot of parts and finishing were better on the old Polo. The new cars are a "Me too" with very little to differentiate between them and the competition other than their engines.

Feb 2021, I was hoping to convince my Wife that the Slavia was a good upgrade, so we went in, and then my wife simply jumped out of it and landed in an Octavia. So, we ended up convincing ourselves to but the Octy. (No complaints though, the grin on the face is two fold after driving the Octy)
My neighbour rushed to buy the last few pieces of the old Rapid.
I am sure, a ton of us on this forum have grabbed the last pieces of our earstwhile Polos and Rapids.

I wished, VW 2.0 was the eUP, and we ended up with one generation old cars
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 19:49   #14
BHPian

As an owner of a 2015 petrol Vento, I can verify that the overall quality of the VAG cars under 2.0 strategy has gone down the drain. Our Vento, with close to zero rattles or squeaks, feels far superior than the current half baked products from VW and Skoda. However, it's true for almost every manufacturers as well (our 1st gen Creta is better built than our 2021 Creta).

To answer the question, I would NEVER buy their 2.0 products until the quality issues are sorted.
Col Mehta is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 19:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
It would be interesting to see the trends on this forum
Bit of a peculiar but very interesting trend for me, when it comes to VAG cars

My super-reliable VAG car of 6.5 years sunsetting couple of months ago:

Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?-vento-sunset.jpg

...replaced by a super-glamourous, techno-luxury VAG car:

Would you buy a VW/Skoda 2.0 car?-img_1586.jpg