View Poll Results: Idling auto-start / stop
Yay 99 24.03%
Nay 313 75.97%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2022, 10:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Idling auto-start / stop | Yay or Nay?

A lot of manufacturers these days are offering Auto start/stop functionality in cars. The functionality is available from a budget car to premium car. While the intention and functionality look same from end user perspective, I believe the implementation is different. There is some sort of logic that goes into each car and when you drive for some time, you start noticing difference. That said none of the manufacturer has been able to get this right. What is annoying though is other than switching off the functionality there is no additional configuration available for the user. Almost all the manufacturers keep this feature on by default and one must power it off every time after starting the car.

Positives
1. When things work, its convenient. Release brake pedal and you are ready to roll.
2. Saves some fuel, though I believe it’s small percentage.

Negatives
1. Most implementation is absurd. For example, In Suzuki, engine shuts off when I try to slot from R from D.
2. Frequent start/stop will affect components like turbo, battery, starter motor etc.
3. Frequent start /stop might negate the benefit of fuel savings?

I don’t see many good bits and negatives outweigh positives. So why are manufacturers pushing this? Just a trend? I am sure there is some cost involved to implement, may be bigger battery, some coding, a button etc. I read many reviews/ownership posts and this functionality is not highlighted much neither is a deal breaker for any. At the end of the day one can switch off by press of a button, but feel this feature is there just for the sake of it. What are your thoughts?
PrideRed is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 10:48   #2
BHPian

re: Idling auto-start / stop | Yay or Nay?

My 2019 Ertiga ZXi+ has this feature and I like this feature. It is seamless, and except the driver, none of the passengers notice that the engine was shut down and restarted due to the lack of any vibration on restart of engine. May be it is because, Integrated Starter Generator is used to restart the engine. Also when the cabin temperature increases, it restart the engine automatically so that Air Conditioner can cool the cabin. My belief is that, since it uses ISG for restarting the engine after auto stop, it will not affect the longevity of the starter motor. And it definitely helps the fuel efficiency. So I am in for this feature, if the implementation is similar or better than the one in my Ertiga.
sreejithkk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 10:59   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Idling auto-start / stop | Yay or Nay?

Idling auto-start / stop helps many manufacturers meet FE & emission norms in several countries. Also the reason many ATs have ridiculously tall 7th, 8th & 9th gears.

I hate the feature. Have disabled it on my 530d (used to activate by default every time I start my car), and its the first "off" button I press in any new car I test-drive. Got to admit, a few manufacturers have learnt how to make the engine off & restart action relatively smooth, although in a majority (especially big diesels), the experience is terribly annoying with cabin shake etc.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 11:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Nay.

Useless and inconvenient ‘feature’. AC switches off as soon as the engine cuts, and the continuous start stop puts extra and avoidable load on the battery.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 11:12   #5
BHPian

I think my opinion is somewhere between yeah and No.
It works nearly fine in my car except that missing simple wait period (say two seconds) before turning off when coming to stop in moving traffic

For me, start stop is nice in Bengaluru signals and and annoying in Bengaluru slow traffic movement - both are a plenty.
RakishRam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 11:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Idling auto start-stop has to become more 'smart' as a feature, then I would consider enabling it. There are numerous stops that last only for a second or two, and every time engine makes that stop for a few milliseconds and cranks up again, I just cringe. Even though minor, I think about all that wear and tear that it had caused unnecessarily.

The start-stop logic should rely on more real-world data through sensors, and also on the driver's behavior to make a smarter decision to stop only if it is almost certain that the stop is going to last for more than 10 seconds or so.
clevermax is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 12:39   #7
BHPian

My parent's 2021 MY Ciaz Alpha AT has this start-stop system as part of the smart hybrid system. I find it really annoying and useless. Maruti's smart hybrid is just a gimmick and not useful at all. On a recent trip to Kodaikanal, i forgot to switch it off and while climbing the ghat the car turned off when we encountered a traffic block. The brake pedal became hard (not sure if due to the start stop system) and the vehicle started moving backward. Luckily there was no vehicle just behind us, else would have resulted in a mild accident.
Kottayamkaran is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 13:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

I HATE it! Voted Nay.

In my BMW 3 GT, the default setting was it would be ON and you'd have to press a button to switch it off. I changed the system with the help of a friendly neighbourhood coder and flipped the default around to OFF. Never used it since.

In many metro cities like ours, it really does not make sense to me at least and my intuitive sense is its unlikely to be beneficial to the car either in our extreme bumper to bumper conditions.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 16:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do manufactures do it? Reduce CO2 emissions / increase fuel efficiency.

I used to hate it but not anymore.

My wife's Mazda 3 has the feature and its quite non intrusive and seamless.

Its kind of difficult to ignore when the system says XX Kms of extra range is achieved because of YY idle minutes.

Idling auto-start / stop | Yay or Nay?-img_1202.jpeg

Idling auto-start / stop | Yay or Nay?-img_1203.jpeg

The A/C compressor doesn't run when the car is OFF and that can be an issue in hot climates.

Here these cars come with EFB or AGM batteries to cope up with the additional cycles and they cost more than conventional batteries. I don't know about this in India.

More details are available in the following link,

Link: https://batteryworld.varta-automotiv...ery-start-stop

Which is the best replacement battery for automatic start-stop systems?

The energy consumption of modern vehicles is increasing and the increasing number of electronic components and comfort systems puts a great load on the battery. In addition, legal requirements to reduce CO2 emissions forced manufacturers to introduce automatic start-stop systems.
Only high performance car batteries such as EFB or AGM batteries can deal with these increased requirements and provide a stable power supply in the vehicle. A battery for a start-stop system can only be replaced with a battery of the same type. In the case of an EFB battery, an upgrade to an AGM may be advisable. However, under certain circumstances, an AGM battery may be suitable for vehicles without start-stop technology.

Car battery Technologies

Conventional starter batteries

Conventional lead-acid batteries are tried and tested products, which have been proven in millions of vehicles for decades. These days, almost all batteries are maintenance-free. Beyond a regular check by your workshop in order to detect an imminent failure, no other maintenance is needed.

Idling auto-start / stop | Yay or Nay?-uk_varta_blue_dynamic.jpg

EFB Batteries
EFB batteries are higher performance versions of conventional starter batteries.
Thanks to the enhancements surrounding the plates with a polyester scrim and an improved formulation of the active material, these can be used more effectively. This also results in a slower increase of the internal resistance of the battery over its lifetime than is the case with a conventional battery. EFB batteries are widely used in vehicles with entry-level start-stop systems, usually without recovery of braking energy.

Idling auto-start / stop | Yay or Nay?-uk_varta_blue_dynamic_efb.jpg

AGM batteries
AGM batteries score with their high performance and durability. In an AGM battery, the glass fiber mat which is used as a separator absorbs the electrolyte, which makes it impossible for the battery acid to leak. The plates of AGM batteries are installed with a defined compression. This ensures an optimal connection between the acid and the plates over the entire life of the battery. In addition, the compression prevents the loss of active material and makes the battery especially robust for demanding applications.
AGM batteries are used in vehicles with advanced automatic start-stop systems and recovery of braking energy.

Idling auto-start / stop | Yay or Nay?-uk_varta_silver_dynamic_agm.jpg

Only replace an EFB with an EFB or AGM battery

Starter batteries with AGM or EFB technology are designed to meet the requirements of vehicles with start-stop systems. Normal car batteries cannot deal with the high demands which occur due to discharge during the stop phases. Replacement with a normal battery instead of an AGM or EFB, results in rapid deterioration of the battery, and a breakdown is inevitable. For optimum function, a battery must be used, which is compatible with the vehicle’s battery management system. An upgrade from an EFB to an AGM battery is possible and increases the efficiency of the automatic start-stop system and results in increased efficient fuel consumption.

A vehicle with an AGM battery needs and AGM battery

Cars with automatic start-stop systems and energy recuperation create heavy demands on the battery. An AGM battery can also deal with the large number of cycles which are caused by the automatic start-stop system and is also suitable for charging with regenerative braking energy.
An EFB battery is usually used with a higher charge level so that storage of energy from recuperation is not possible, or is only possible to a limited extent. A powerful AGM battery with OEM quality guarantees high reliability and better driving experience.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th June 2022 at 20:48. Reason: Attachments fixed
kiku007 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 17:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

In the interest of fuel economy we are torturing the car and it's started motor and components. All the new developments like GDI-Turbo-charging, DCT/DSG all add to the headaches of the owner in the long run will not be as reliable as the NA engine and CVT or Torque Converter gear boxes, may be that's why Maruti is not in a tearing hurry to turbo charge it's petrol engines and still continues with it's K10, K12 and K15 adding Dual Jet to make it compliant with the emission norms and pushes the AMT gearbox to keep the kitna deti hai and the VFM brigade happy. Voted Nay.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 17th June 2022 at 17:25.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 19:26   #11
BANNED

I find this feature a little hard to accept. Bangalore is world number 1 in traffic jams. The engine is under enough stress as it is.

I already cringe in signals which are 30 seconds long and people riding scooter turn the engine off.

I don't see a reason to turn off the engine for durations lesser than 60 seconds.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 22:01   #12
BHPian

I find it an absolute pain in the Bangalore traffic. The amount of times it used to go on and off with the weather not being so conducive either, I finally developed a habit of switching it off the moment I get in and start the car. I am sure that is why despite running very little last 2 years, my battery has not yet given up. If only I were to use it I am quite certain not just the battery but other issues would too crop up as traffic here is becoming worse.

This should be an option and not a default. I am keen to find someone who can help me reset it to "default off".
Old 18th June 2022, 10:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I hate the feature. Have disabled it on my 530d (used to activate by default every time I start my car), and its the first "off" button I press in any new car I test-drive. Got to admit, a few manufacturers have learnt how to make the engine off & restart action relatively smooth, although in a majority (especially big diesels), the experience is terribly annoying with cabin shake etc.
Even I absolutely hate it. Is is very irritating especially in slow moving traffic. Please guide me how to disable it on my X3 20d.
Old 18th June 2022, 10:32   #14
BHPian

Voted yes.
It's very useful when you are on red light with a timer. When I see start stop traffic, I just turn the feature off. Given that the AC fan keeps working and the switch is quite seamless, it's a decent enough feature to have given our fuel prices.
Old 18th June 2022, 10:35   #15
BHPian

I voted Yay, though its 50-50 for me. There is some algorithm to decide on whether it will auto start/stop or not (driver seat belt locked, AC not maxed, etc. etc. on my Jeep Compass Petrol DDCT). However, I first disable it when I start off for a drive. Then rather than the system deciding, after driving for 5-10 km (based on how long my trip is going to be) if I anticipate that there is a long waiting signal coming up, I switch it on. The system activates at the signal, engine stops and after a while I resume (very seamless in my car). I may again decide to turn it off later based on the drive, say while approaching my destination (I still follow idling for a few seconds at the destination or back home, before turning the ignition off).
Though this sounds like a chore, it has become a habit. And keeps me away from dozing off as to me, driving an AT car is so boring and sleepy with just the steering to be controlled :-) ...given my MT driving background in my earlier cars.
car-go is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed