Old 20th June 2022, 14:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar loses a few features; prices remain unchanged

2022 Mahindra Thar undergoes cost cutting, features update :

No Silver accent on front bumpers

Name:  FB_IMG_1655714303637.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  70.6 KB

MRF Wanderer AT tyre replaced with CEAT Crossdrive AT.

Mahindra Thar loses a few features; prices remain unchanged-fb_img_1655714305792.jpg

Name:  FB_IMG_1655714313105.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  60.3 KB

Lumbar support adjust knob deleted from front seat.

Name:  FB_IMG_1655714308191.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  68.7 KB

One USB port deleted

Name:  FB_IMG_1655714311007.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  51.1 KB

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 20th June 2022 at 14:17.
Venkatesh is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 16:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Disappointed with 2022 Thar.
Visited the showroom yesterday and came back pretty unhappy with the 2022 vehicle. Biggest letdown being deletion of lumbar support adjustment. Another one being the rear seat still doesn't have full flat bottom floor - as in, when seated behind driver, right foot still has the small hump and hence left foot and right foot are not at same level.
Agreed whoever buys Thar is driven by the decision taken by heart, but mind does have a say when signing the 18 big ones.

Went to book, came back without booking.
advaitlele is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 19:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Quote:
Is it even cost cutting? It's just the colour of bumper which has been changed. Rest of it looks identical to the normal bumper. TBH, All black would look nice on darker colours.

Quote:
MRF Wanderer AT tyre replaced with CEAT Crossdrive AT.
Different batches come with different tyres. Mine has CEAT too but different model.

Quote:
Lumbar support adjust knob deleted from front seat.
This is something which has been deleted in new models after the price hike. Even till February-March 2022, models were coming with Lumbar support. Rather than improving under thigh support, they did this. Facepalm.

Quote:
One USB port deleted
This was done last year itself. During end of 2021, models were coming without extra port. This is something where they could have just increased the price rather than removing this.

I wanted this but I couldn't find this part to replace from MY 2020 models on boodmo. I hope it is interchangeable with earlier models.

In the images I could see armrest installed. Can anybody confirm whether it is aftermarket or OEM - added after removing these goodies?

I'll tell you where they have cut costs. OEM Camera retails as an accessory for 2.5k. How difficult was for Mahindra to just install this from factory and increase price by 3k rather than training technicians how to drill bumper and tap wires from brake light. Facepalm
batish is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 07:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

The Thar now looks quite bad from the front without the dark silver element. It harks back to the looks of the old Thar, much more agricultural and rural. After paying nearly 20 lakhs, it is an absolutely unacceptable cheapening of the upmarket look the new Thar had introduced.

The removal of lumbar support is also inexplicable. This cannot be blamed on electronic part shortages, as it is a completely mechanical device. You work hard to rotate the knob and that directly moves the lumbar support piece. Plus, it was present on both front seats and is a boon on long journeys in my Thar. Especially as the seat compound is on the softer side.

I hope they took this opportunity to remedy a vulnerable part of the rear bumper. I did a bit of off-roading with my Thar last weekend going through some pretty tough terrain with the Terratigers group here in Chennai and the central part of the rear bumper attachment broke off from the under-body. Apparently this happens quite often with the new Thars. It was fixed up with a nut and bolt temporarily, but the design seems vulnerable from a departure angle perspective. It is hard to tell, but the new design here seems to have a separate element for the lower part of the rear bumper, from the main piece with the number plate holder. If so, it will hopefully strengthen the rear bumper agaist damage while off-roading.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 21st June 2022 at 08:18.
84.monsoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 21:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

A Mahindra dealership reached out to me yesterday with a choice of red and black LX automatic Thars readily available in stock. Went to check them out today and they do have vehicles readily available in both diesel and petrol variants. I was hoping they might have an XUV700 too but sadly those still have the excessive waiting periods.

Checked out their available stock in their yard today and all of them are the pre-cost cutting models. Aka 2022 with the lumbar support and the old bumper. Has the demand for Thars died down with the news of the new Scorpio launch? I was assured delivery in 7 days but I'm a bit hesitant to book now since that's when the Scorpio comes out. Considering waiting till then to make a decision.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 11:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Has the demand for Thars died down with the news of the new Scorpio launch?
Yes, to quite an extent. The impending launch of Scorpio-N has forced many a folks waiting on their Thar deliveries to delay the purchase, if not cancel the booking altogether, at least till the reveal on 27 Jun, especially given the speculations around killer launch pricing typical of Mahindra. Moreover, the used car market is likely to see quite a few All New Thars up for sale very soon, as the initial euphoria for many buyers makes way for practicality offered by the Scorpio-N, while continuing to provide similar ruggedness and off-road capabilities. I personally know a few Thar owners who are just waiting for 27 Jun to take the plunge. Interesting times ahead!

Last edited by cool_dube : 22nd June 2022 at 11:22.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 15:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar loses a few features; prices remain unchanged

Mahindra has removed a few features from the Thar. The off-roader no longer gets dual-tone bumpers, lumbar support and a USB port.

Mahindra Thar loses a few features; prices remain unchanged-2020mahindrathar02.jpg

Mahindra no longer offers the Thar with dual-tone black/silver front and rear bumpers. Lumbar support has been removed from both front seats, while one of the USB ports has been deleted. Now, the car comes with a single USB port and a 12-volt power socket.

It is said that the Mahindra Thar now comes with Ceat Crossdrive AT tyres. These replace the Ceat Czar AT tyres which were being offered on the car earlier.

Besides the feature deletions, no mechanical changes have been made. Mahindra continues to offer the Thar with 2.0-litre petrol and 2.2-litre diesel engine options with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission to choose from.

Source: Carwale

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 22nd June 2022 at 15:45.
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 16:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar loses a few features; prices remain unchanged

The picture above does now show how much the removal of the silver elements take away from the relatively upscale and sophisticated look of the original design.

Take a look at these two phots (Before & After) to get the full import of the change. Without the silver elements the Thar looks very utilitarian and rural IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar loses a few features; prices remain unchanged-screenshot-20220622-4.54.19-pm.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 22nd June 2022 at 16:56.
84.monsoon is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 19:58   #9
BHPian

Even small things like deleting one USB port can add up to huge savings for the manufacturer, so it kind of does make sense from their point of view.

It's like the famous lore of how American Airlines famously saved USD40k per year by removing one olive from each salad in first class, and Northwest Airlines saving allegedly USD500k in 1987 by cutting limes into 16 pieces instead of 10 for its drinks service.

Economies of scale can be a mind boggling phenomena.
Porcupine is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 20:02   #10
NTO
BHPian

The biggest concern for me is the deletion of adjustable lumbar support from the front seats. It is a boon for those long highway travels and I simply enjoy the adjustment.

Also, one USB was already removed from the start of 2022. My car delivered in Feb also had only one USB in the front.

Not worried much about the bumper.

Also, there is a price difference of 1000 - 1500 per tyre in the after market between Czar A/T and the new ones.

Mahindra would've saved significantly on the costs. Still perplexed on the deletion of adjustable lumbar support though!

Last edited by NTO : 22nd June 2022 at 20:03.
NTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 20:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Are they also going the Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) way? We find almost every other FMCG product suffering from the post pandemic, Ukraine-Russia war shrinkflation syndrome.

The weight of each such product has been reduced but the prices have been kept the same.

The new Thar can be aptly badged by Mahindra as the Thar Shrinkflation edition.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 22nd June 2022 at 20:37.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 22:05   #12
BHPian

I also have a Jan 2022 Thar Petrol model, among all the omissions that have been discussed, the only one missing in my Vehicle is the USB Port and it is the Fast-charge that was removed. And the price was increased by 43000, I think that there has been another price hike since then and now the variant I bought for 15.5L in Himachal is for 16.4L.
Old 22nd June 2022, 22:37   #13
BHPian

As per Rushlane their is addition of front row armrest.

Thar’s seats were already poor to begin with (I am looking for replacement for mine). Is it a possibility that they have moved the adjustment knobs to the outside of the seat instead of inside? Which is not shown in the pictures.

https://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-dele...pio-ns-launch/

The CEAT Czar AT were nicknamed NT (no terrain - okay performance everywhere, not excelling in any manner). I am curious how the cross drive are going to perform. Are MRF Wanderer totally out of the picture? Also couldn't find any mention of cross drive ATs on Internet apart from the posts mentioning that they are now being offered on the new Thar. Any more information will be appreciated.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd June 2022 at 23:12. Reason: Multiple formatting / spacing changes and the odd typo. Pls review before posting. Pls also read the forum rules once.
ambarkhan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Yes, to quite an extent. The impending launch of Scorpio-N has forced many a folks waiting on their Thar deliveries to delay the purchase, if not cancel the booking altogether, at least till the reveal on 27 Jun
Absolutely agree. The novelty factor for these type of "lifestyle" vehicles shall only remain, if, they sell in less numbers, not often seen on the road etc., which keeps a constant sales chart running. But, when people queue up with waiting periods like a mass market car, it cannot sustain for long, that too, with another product from the same manufacturer which will do all the Thar can do and more ! Yes, the size, looks are very different, but, when you see a Thar top end costing around 19.5L OTR in Chennai, for another 5-6 lakhs you may get a ScorpioN 4x4 Top End, with so many more plus points/factors going for it. The pricing will be dangerously close if M&M offers 4x4 in mid variants too. (Unless M&M price the ScorpioN to compete with Fortuner, because it is a Big Daddy D segment SUV )

There is definitely a threat for the THAR.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 14:39   #15
BHPian

I think Mahindra (and other auto manufacturers) are reacting to the signals they receive from the market. And the signals are clear. Customers react much more favourably to "price same- thank God" thank price increases but specs remaining the same

Other automakers are taking note, expect more of this. As someone pointed out, lumar support does not depend on a "chip shortage"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks