Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2022, 18:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki to offer strong hybrid tech across all models

Maruti Suzuki is plans to offer strong hybrid powertrains across its model range in the next 5-7 years.

Name:  Brezza _Web Banner.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  46.5 KB

According to C V Raman, Chief Technical Officer, Maruti Suzuki, every model will have some form of environment-friendly technology, be it mild-hybrid or strong hybrid. He further added that there will be no pure petrol powertrain across its range.

Apart from hybrids, the carmaker will focus on battery electric vehicles, CNG as well as ethanol and bio-CNG compliant engines.

Raman also reiterated that hybrid technology is a stepping stone towards pure EVs. Self-charging hybrids offers reduction in CO2 emissions and enhanced fuel efficiency. It has significant benefits over mild-hybrid powertrains currently offered by the company.

That being said, Maruti Suzuki is now gearing up to launch its first strong hybrid model in the form of a mid-size SUV. It's the sister car of the recently unveiled Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder and will take on the Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos.

Source: ETAuto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd July 2022 at 18:12.
TusharK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 18:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to offer strong hybrid tech across all models

Wow, thats trully a great news. This will set the tone for the hybrid technology to become mainstream, and gradually trickle down to benefit more people.

Not just should it help with the pollution levels, but should also help in reducing the oil import bill for the government.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 3rd July 2022 at 18:42.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 21:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Part of me is screaming..." Full blown hybrid in something like the Swift would give excefantaboulastic mileage "

But the other part of me is saying, they are just going to give the dualjet, SVHS thingy across the board and kill off whatever fun Maruti cars gave.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 22:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

But the other part of me is saying, they are just going to give the dualjet, SVHS thingy across the board and kill off whatever fun Maruti cars gave.
Quote:
Maruti Suzuki is plans to offer strong hybrid powertrains across its model range in the next 5-7 years.
SHVS is mild hybrid. I think they will borrow the tech that's debuting in the HyRyder. If the new Baleno is reasonably safe, the light weight and proper hybrid will return mind blowing FE. I had a Baleno 2017 and even that car returned exceptional mileage in comparison to our other cars.

I think this is a perfect solution to the missing diesel problem of MSIL's portfolio, even a more futuristic one.
RoadMonkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 10:55   #5
BHPian

Awesome news not just for Maruti, but also for the market in general.

If a volumes behemoth like Maruti starts ramping up on strong hybrids, then you can be sure that the tech itself will get cheaper soon due to economies of scale. That will (hopefully) lead to more and more cars across manufacturers offering strong hybrids.

Also, imagine an Alto strong hybrid giving an ARAI mileage of 35 kmpl .

Last edited by lordrayden : 4th July 2022 at 10:57.
Old 4th July 2022, 12:00   #6
BHPian

With Wagon R starting at 6.5 L OTR(Hyderabad), we can expect Wagon R Hybrid to start at 10L OTR :|
Maruti is already have second thoughts about continuing with the small cars. The new safety rules don't allow them to sell cheaper cars in the coming days.
Old 4th July 2022, 12:12   #7
BHPian

That is definitely going to shake up the market. One big miss in the Maruti portfolio had been diesels with their inherent fuel efficiency. So strong hybrid from Toyota will surely plug that gap.

If the Hyrider strong hybrid powertrain drives much better than the mild hybrid Suzuki option, an incremental cost of around 3 Lakhs onroad will definitely be accepted. Same powertrain will make much sense in the future updates of Ciaz, Brezza, new launch Jimny and even the upper end hatch backs.
Old 4th July 2022, 12:18   #8
BHPian

It’s a great news from Maruti who is the leader in Indian car sales in terms of volume. This will really boost the effort for green world. It will also enable the entry level vehicles to be more fuel efficient. Although I am not sure what kind of impact it will have on the affordability part especially with new safety measure. Overall I am excited for the future!
Old 4th July 2022, 13:49   #9
BHPian

Welcome the move. This is how the marriage between Suzuki and Toyota is expected to consummate. Hybrids in Mass market is the way to go. BEV's are far from becoming the mass mover.
Old 6th July 2022, 10:30   #10
BHPian

The logic behind my hypothesis is that people who buy cars below 10 lakhs are more concerned with fuel efficiency. I will choose to buy a car under 10 lakhs and save the rest for fuel if hybrid cars (mild or strong) start at 20 lakhs. Furthermore, I can change my car every 4 years rather than keeping it longer and spending more on maintenance.
Old 6th July 2022, 11:15   #11
BHPian

This is perfect decision from Maruti. Instead of investing in diesel, they are investing in clean energy. This will help in reducing emissions while improving the fuel efficiency; which is a main concern for the Maruti's target customers.
Old 6th July 2022, 11:36   #12
BHPian

Swift zxi plus AMT is priced 10L on road Mumbai,
If suzuki launches swift Hybrid, on road will be priced at 12.5-13L on road, which is very expensive, I think there'll be very few takers at that price. Better to launch Cng in all models as they are 1L expensive, there will be many buyers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks