Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2007, 06:37   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
...M&M have a competent design team. ...
Maybe, but have we seen a full vehicle from them? The Original scorp was apparently designed out of UK, and that might explain why it is as wide as it is (Wider than we need in India).

Methinks M&M is trying to get Peter Stevens to help them conceptualize a low slung SUV without having to pay him to be the lead designer. They get him involved and its impossible that he does not contribute real design ideas.
Old 31st August 2007, 09:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I wonder why Manhidra didn't attack the taxi segment, like TATA did with Sumo and Toyota did with Qualis/Innova. Only if they has added some passenger comforts to Bolero...
Mahindra wanted to differentiate themselves. The Bolero / armada was used extensively as commercial vehicles, but with almost no perceivable passenger comfort / image. However, when the launched the Scorpio - they purposely did NOT launch it in white in order to dissuade taxi operators from purchasing them - thereby keeping a "premium" on the product. well, when the sumo was launched, it single handedly shook the entire market. M&M was ahead with their entire portfolio while it was only the Sumo that cracked the pie.

Last edited by madan80 : 31st August 2007 at 09:56.
Old 31st August 2007, 09:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Also - if i am not mistaken - the article revolved around the fact that Nissan was looking at launching a $3000 car, thats what prompted the author to call Peter to check on how a $2000 car is possible.
One thing that is quite scary is that they are talking about the available gap between scooter riders and car buyers, that is over and above the 400 million middle class, to tap for the 1Lac car - where are the roads?
Old 31st August 2007, 12:11   #19
BANNED

Scorpio driver seating and 2.2

I had a test drive last week with the present one, to my surprise, the driver seating position is not at all comfortable. I am 6'2'' but I really believed this should be the ideal one for me. If I tilt the steering position down, its absolutely on my laps leaving me not to move.

Is there people to convert the seats, so that I can make it comfortable?

Apart from this, Any idea about Scorpio 2.2? Is it worth a wait?

Last edited by DCEite : 31st August 2007 at 17:01. Reason: FONT COLOR tags removed
Old 31st August 2007, 13:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Errr Ishan, its not the Innova being mentioned here methinks - more like the evasive Fortuner or the Prado?

I wouldn't call the Innova a SUV by any stretch of my imagination
Agreed Suman, but can you seriously compare the Scorpio to a Prado?? That would be the joke of the century! And how can you compare it to the Fortuner when it's never been launched here (and from the looks of it, will never be!)
Old 31st August 2007, 13:58   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Agreed Suman, but can you seriously compare the Scorpio to a Prado?? That would be the joke of the century!
Well, in the 4x4 format, perhaps you could. Its a different story that they are miles behind in terms of refinement and comfort, but they are more SUV than the pretenders like the CRV.
Old 31st August 2007, 14:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Well, in the 4x4 format, perhaps you could. Its a different story that they are miles behind in terms of refinement and comfort, but they are more SUV than the pretenders like the CRV.
Well, I don't see how they can be compared, the refinement, fit & finish, level of engineering etc. etc. are on a different level altogether. They are not even close.

And it's not that the difference is marginal, it's massive.
Old 31st August 2007, 14:04   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ishaan, and so are the prices too, right?
Old 31st August 2007, 14:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Maybe, but have we seen a full vehicle from them? The Original scorp was apparently designed out of UK, and that might explain why it is as wide as it is (Wider than we need in India).

Methinks M&M is trying to get Peter Stevens to help them conceptualize a low slung SUV without having to pay him to be the lead designer. They get him involved and its impossible that he does not contribute real design ideas.
Yes, VFM even in car design. After all, it is in our blood isnt it? But it underlines the fact that the new M&M SUV has global aspirations.
Old 31st August 2007, 14:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I don't see how they can be compared, the refinement, fit & finish, level of engineering etc. etc. are on a different level altogether. They are not even close.

Quote:
Agreed Suman, but can you seriously compare the Scorpio to a Prado?? That would be the joke of the century! And how can you compare it to the Fortuner when it's never been launched here (and from the looks of it, will never be!)
Nobody's comparing them - they are making a statement on the prices that's all. And at least they could both be considered as SUVs - I wonder how the Innova comes into this discussion in the first place
Old 31st August 2007, 15:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel that M&M has a long run in this industry as they are already way ahead of their nearest local competitor (read TATA) and have shown steady growth in this market, not to say better finish, refined engine and ever improving customer service/focus.

They are treading on the right path.

But will need a drastic change in their plans to capture the western markets, the competition there is totally different and already very refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Yes, VFM even in car design. After all, it is in our blood isnt it? But it underlines the fact that the new M&M SUV has global aspirations.

Last edited by dadu : 31st August 2007 at 15:34.
Old 31st August 2007, 15:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Maybe, but have we seen a full vehicle from them? The Original scorp was apparently designed out of UK
Can you substantiate your statement please?
Old 31st August 2007, 17:26   #28
BHPian

Man we need the Classic back...now that was an awesome SUV..
think about it...2.6-3.0 litere engine...120bhp..looks of a classic...4x4...
interiors all cool not plastic...
although i'm dreaming this combo SUV would cost well over 10 lakhs i guess..
Old 1st September 2007, 13:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Can you substantiate your statement please?

Yes please supply some sources. As far as I know the only UK input was the Lotus suspension. You may be getting confused with the TATA Safari where a UK design house did play a major role.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:47   #30

Unsure Spy fotos-
May be its old Scorpio - the back lamps
resembles XYLO with its shape

http://burnyourfuel.com/2009/04/16/c...-suv-pictures/
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks