Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2022, 10:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch: 1,00,000th unit rolls off the assembly line

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
That is very quick and job well done, Tata Motors!!! India loves SUV badging. But I hardly have seen the car in the roads in comparison to Nexon.
I have seen a lot of them on the roads of Kerala. A lot of brand new ones like how Swift or I20 used to be a few years back.
lionheart_mm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 10:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I expected this feat this month just as I was calculating the total sales by adding up the average 10k sales since launch, last month. I think this is the most successful product from Tata in the last 5 years.

However, there is a good side and a bad side to this. Good news is that, a lot of safe cars have been sold and the ALFA platform has garnered good sales and hence as an investment it has proved to be successful.

The bad side of it is that people are ready to invest over 10L on a weak 1.2L NA petrol unit just because it looks great and has the SUV form factor. Punch is an example of insanely priced cars in the recent years. I only worry that Tata would be motivated to not make other engine options available in the car and the future cars on ALFA since they have seen it succeed with just the 1.2L NA 3 cylinder engine and that too with an unjust pricing.

I sincerely hope the turbo petrol and diesel engine lotions are available in the punch.
Investing on safe car with weak engine is wiser than investing on a feature rich/ fuel efficient / unsafe car with good engine. It's a good sign and feel happy about it.
The Punch does not sell well only because of SUV looks and 5 star rating. The lower variants are value for money and it's compact and spacious also inside.
abhi_krao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 10:48   #18
BHPian

Really happy for TML. Pity they really went off the track with the name. Had they given a punchy engine maybe it would make sense, now its more of a Tap. Hoping for more blockbusters from Tata Motors, currently on my third Tata car and quite pleased.
clementw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 12:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
That is very quick and job well done, Tata Motors!!! India loves SUV badging. But I hardly have seen the car in the roads in comparison to Nexon.
The Nexon has been around for a much longer time, Jan 2020, while the Punch is 10 months old. The Nexon started selling 3500 cars and is at 14000+ a month, while the Punch sells about 10-11000 cars every month. So, there's the difference.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 13:28   #20
BHPian

Congratulations to Tata Motors for crossing the 100000 Mark! It is high time they introduced the iTurbo variant.
Old 12th August 2022, 13:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Just goes to prove how disconnected T-Bhp is from the actual car buying population. All of us cried fowl about how lame the engine is and how TML has killed the product by not offering the Turbo engine option, etc., etc. The 100k people who bought the product obviously were happy with the 1.2NA engine and it wasn't a deal breaker.

I even heard from a source that the Turbo option on the Altroz hardly makes up 20% of the sales.
fiat_tarun is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 14:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Awesome job TATA. Congratulations
Well people choose it for it strengths probably? Safety & looks are its key driving factors. Engine performance is being judged so minutely mostly by BHPians. It’s generally par for course for most others.

I mean even after knowing Kia/Hyundai’s double standards in terms of build quality for Indian market did it stop public from lapping them up? They are still market leaders for their strengths(features,A.S.S) which the buyers value more than their weakness(safety). So to each his/her own I guess?
Actually it drives home the point of "the test ride being must" more acutely than ever as individual perception may override popular or experts ' view.
Regards
fawad0222 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 17:56   #23
BHPian

Congratulations Tata Motors for achieving this milestone.
Old 12th August 2022, 19:28   #24
BHPian

I sincerely wish someone from TaMo is reading this thread. PLEASE bring the 1.2 Turbo petrol + DCT and/or 1.5 Diesel.

I can only imagine what a hoot to drive such a small car with that 1.5 diesel engine will be like. 90ps/200 nm diesel pocket rocket. Reincarnation of the Figo.

The 1.2 NA is a decent engine, it does the job and is very reliable (55k+ kms in my Tiago and still going) but it is just a point A to point B engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Just goes to prove how disconnected T-Bhp is from the actual car buying population.
I even heard from a source that the Turbo option on the Altroz hardly makes up 20% of the sales.
Sad but true. Take the case of recent Fords - cracker of a diesel engine, refined and powerful petrol engines, the BEST infotainment UI in the segment, good build quality, cheap to service. But alas, what people actually wanted was 50 inch touchscreen and air purifier instead.

Myself the owner of a Ford 1.5 car, never letting go of it ever.

Last edited by SaiSW : 12th August 2022 at 19:34.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 22:24   #25
BHPian

As per my source at TaMo ‘we have no plans for the Punch turbo as of now.’
docted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 07:54   #26
BHPian

1 lac milestone within 10/11 months is definitely good for any OEM. While we all complain about the Engine and Gearbox being average, for a normal commuter, more so for a commuter with acquired knowledge on Safety ratings of cars, TML have models / Variant's targeting a wider spectrum. Efficiency almost matching Marutis, with better builds/safety ratings than them are the reasons to sell like hot cakes.
Old 13th August 2022, 09:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docted View Post
As per my source at TaMo ‘we have no plans for the Punch turbo as of now.’
They might as well get Punch EV out- with a performance that betters diesel/turbo petrol engine. With a higher ground clearance and a platform that was advertised as "EV ready", this seems to be ahead of Altroz for EV adoption.
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 09:41   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just goes to prove how disconnected T-Bhp is from the actual car buying population.
But of course! A majority of Team-BHP is comprised of driving enthusiasts who will obviously desire a better powertrain. That isn't representative of the average car buying population of India which has no problem with commuter engines, as long as they are "adequate" and deliver good FE. There is a reason why the smaller engines usually outsell the larger engines of the same car in the market, although BHPians will always lust for the bigger motor. The mainstream market loves the S-Cross 1.3L, while BHPians lust after the 1.6L. Just an example.

I have no problem with Tata selling the Punch with the 1.2L NA, as long as they also offer the option of the turbo-petrol to those who want a little more.

In general, we can argue that BHPians have the following differences & preferences over the mainstream customer:

- More driving oriented. Will drive from Point A -> B for the pleasure of driving. Many times, I drive 20 to 150 km from Point A back to Point A, just to drive!!!

- Is more informed, due to the sheer size & depth of the knowledgebase here.

- Less price sensitive. Will spend more for power, safety, a better car etc.

- Less sensitive to FE.

- More disposable income for cars. As an example, we generally see more ownership reviews of 10 - 15 lakh cars & above, rather than <10 lakh cars.

- Cars are either the no.1 or no.2 passion for most people posting on this forum. Cars aren't merely a commuting appliance.

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2022 at 10:47.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 10:05   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just goes to prove how disconnected T-Bhp is from the actual car buying population. All of us cried fowl about how lame the engine is and how TML has killed the product by not offering the Turbo engine option, etc., etc. The 100k people who bought the product obviously were happy with the 1.2NA engine and it wasn't a deal breaker.

That has always been the case. Here, you might find more owners of a S-Cross 1.6 than 1.3, more owners of 530d than 520d or 525d, more 4WD / AWD owners than their 4X2 counterparts, more vRS & L&K owners than the regular Octavia. And these are 20% or lesser volume of sales than the regular variant.

But disconnected…buying outright does not implement that all the buyers are happy or unhappy, we can never come to know that, can we? And the sore point was / is lack out outright power is as it is. It can have a say or not on one’s individual preferences.
Old 13th August 2022, 10:07   #30
BHPian

One of the many reason(s) that Punch was a success was it's design. It probably is the most suv(ish) looking vehicle in it's price segment.
TSEA is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks