Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 15:12   #1
BHPian

DIY: Renewal of Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence online

Hi.

This thread is to provide fellow BHPians a fully DIY process to renew the DL online. My license expired last month, and after reading threads on TBHP and some research online, I could complete the process.

1. If you have a paper DL: You will need to get backlog entry in to Parivahan site for using online DL renewal option.

a. Please visit your circle RTO office and get a backlog entry form. You can fill-up the same at the RTO office and submit then and there. Please carry with you copy of DL and Aadhar card

b. Please wait for a week to ten days to get the entry into Parivahan site. Though I was told by the RTO office to visit them to find out the status, I just logged in to Parivahan site and tried online DL renewal option after a week, and it worked - https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sar...e/envaction.do

2. If you already have a smart DL, or after completion of step 1 above in case of paper DL: life is easier now, as you can use online DL renewal portal

a. Download and print Form 9, Form-1 and Form-1-A in case you are above 50 Yrs
https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in...riving-License
https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in.../GR/form1a.pdf

Please note that Form 1-A, a medical certificate in case your age is 50 Yr or above, requires signature of a Government approved medical practitioner. In case you don’t know one, please visit RTO office, you will find one or two doctors around that office!

b. Please complete all the forms with required signatures, as you will need them to upload

c. Go to https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sar...e/envaction.do and complete online submission of required documents and payment of DL renewal fees (Rs.466 for MH in 2022)

d. Please take a printout of the receipt. Payment by any online method is accepted, including GPay etc.

e. Now visit the RTO office. They will be able to check the status on the application and completion of above online steps. Only after this check, your biometrics and photo are taken.

f. Submit physical copies of Form 1, Form 1-A, copy of DL, copy of Aadhar and original DL. Please carry a small zip pouch to attach original DL with the documents. The officer will make entry and sign it. Later you need to get the form approved by approving authority (like Dy RTO officer in Vashi, Navi Mumbai)

g. After all this submission, wait for renewed DL at your address !

h. Though you get SMS notifications on progress, you can check status of your online application at https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sar...lViewStatus.do

3. Some take-aways from this exercise:

a. The process is simple enough and can be completed in DIY mode. MH process is slightly complicated as it requires multiple RTO office interaction
b. Though process is online, there is a generous use of paper Please keep copies of DL, Aadhar etc handy. Don’t forget to bring a ZIP pouch to attach DL during the last stage!
c. Best is to use Aadhar based KYC – provided it is properly linked to your mobile (for OTP’s) and has correct address as the address can not be different on DL and Aadhar
d. Navi Mumbai / Vashi RTO, though not as efficient as, say, Kerala RTO’s, does have more professional approach than my earlier interaction (in 2005!) with them. In fact, they were quite helpful in terms of explaining process etc., and yes, there was no “under the table “demand for a DIY person like me !
MiKeMo is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 11:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Renewal of Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence online

I went through the same thing recently, and most definitely didn't want to use the help of any "agents".

A few things were slightly different for my experience, I'll focus only on them here:

1) I only had to make ONE trip to the MH 01 (Tardeo) RTO, close to the end of the process. Thankfully I didn't have to go multiple times. I guess this is the biggest difference, and I just wanted to point it out so it might save others 1 trip.

2) My license was already expired when I started this process. This was in July 2021, not sure if things have changed since then.

3) I started off my journey here:
https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/sar...teSelection.do

Select Maharashtra in the dropdown.

Choose DL Renewal on the pop-up:
DIY: Renewal of Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence online-screenshot-20220820-113032.png

Or if your miss the pop-up, select it here:
DIY: Renewal of Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence online-whatsapp-image-20220715-4.24.25-pm.jpeg

Enter your existing license details:
DIY: Renewal of Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence online-screenshot-20220820-113113.png

4) Filled out the required forms (Form 1 & 9).
I have a new habit of filling forms in Acrobat itself, rather than printing and then filling them by hand. Why? Because it's so much easier to type out, and when a bank / govt body inevitably finds something "wrong" with your form and asks you to resubmit it, you do not need to fill the whole thing out again! Just make the change in the PDF and re-print.
It's also useful for saving time by using a pre-filled form for future requests - eg. generic 'customer request form' for your bank where only a few checkboxes / date / etc change.
It's also clearer than handwriting, so avoids confusion during transcribing:
DIY: Renewal of Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence online-screenshot-20220820-113907.png

5) I completed the upload/payment etc, and waited a month or more, but no new license showed up at my door.

Checked the application status here:
DIY: Renewal of Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence online-screenshot-20220820-121015.png

Noticed it was was just stuck at this "Scrutiny" stage since forever:
DIY: Renewal of Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence online-screenshot-20220820-114108.png

6) Wrote to the Sarathi helpdesk asking about the delay:
Name:  Screenshot 20220820 114350.png
Views: 1476
Size:  25.8 KB

7) They wrote back 3 days later saying I had to show up at the RTO with proof of address:
DIY: Renewal of Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence online-screenshot-20220820-114549.png

8) A very lazy while later... I finally visited the RTO:
• They took my payment receipt (or was it the other form?), took my old license and stapled them together.
• They didn't need to look at my Aadhar etc for address/age proof (I guess old DL was enough).
• Told me it would take a minimum of 15-30 days for me to receive the new license via Speedpost.
• They said the RTO allows driving on the application/challan instead of a license.
• I was in and out of there in 7 minutes.
• About 20 days later my license showed up in the mail.
• It's a proper smart-card license, unlike what some other states are supplying.

That's all folks!

PS: Last month I deleted a folder called "2021-07 - DL Renewal" from my computer, thinking "I'm never going to need this!". Sure enough, when i wanted to post this, I did need it - just to refer to dates, forms I filled, etc. I had already cleared by recycle bin. Thankfully I use Dropbox backup, so that let me go back and recover deleted files. Unrelated moral of the story: back up your data!

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2022 at 12:28.
Rehaan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 16:37   #3
BHPian

I got my address updated in the license few months back. It was a completely online process, just had to visit the RTO once. We had shifted home in 2018 and driving license was one of the last remaining documents that were pending address change. I eventually got started on it at the start of 2020. I searched and found that it can be done online, and I won't need to go through an RTO agent. So in the beginning of 2020 I filled the form online, paid the fees and waited. It wasn't clear to be back then that I would need to visit the RTO with the acknowledgement and all the documents. I realized that after waiting for a a few days. And then before I could book a slot, lock down happened. Then the lock down kept getting extended and 2020 went by and 2021 also went by and I forgot about it.

Then in early 2022, I suddenly found the folder with the application and I decided to start the process again. I thought the old application must have expired by now and I would have to pay the fees again. But when I went to the portal and tried to create a new request it told me a request was already open. So I logged in and yes, my two year application for change in address was still there. I immediately booked a lot, visited the RTO on the date. I was made to go to 3 windows, where they checked the documents, put the stamps and told me I would get the license in post in about a month. It took about 2 months, but I eventually received the updated license with new address. At each step I kept receiving SMS notifications about the progress.
yashg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 01:51   #4
BHPian

Though the License Renewal process has largely turned online, wish it was fully online instead of having to physically visit the RTO at the last step.

However, to the credit of how the Tardeo RTO has turned over a new leaf since the past couple of years, pertinent to note that one doesn't require the intervention of unsavoury touts/agents to get work done. The staff is extremely helpful if you're nice with them. Knowing Marathi is no doubt an added bonus though!

Can only comment on the Tardeo RTO since I stay in that jurisdiction; have heard some horror stories about the Andheri RTO. No idea about Borivali and Wadala RTOs.

Last edited by IamNikhil : 21st August 2022 at 01:52. Reason: Added content
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:53   #5
BHPian

In June 2022 applied for address update on my license for Pune RTO. Uploaded documents and paid fees of Rs. 466.

Vahan site says no need to visit RTO and it's all contactless now.
However after a month of application got an SMS saying application on hold and need to upload Signed copy of my license again.
Did that but now even after a month of the second upload it's still stuck in scrutiny.
Status shows address proof accepted and licence copy awaiting.

Not sure if related but a few days in the local newspaper there was news about how Maharashtra RTOs are facing shortage of smart card for licence.

My last visit to MH12 RTO years back was not very user friendly so now stuck between the site saying not need to visit RTO office and the status stuck in scrutiny.
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:08   #6

We MH folks should not be calling this process as Online as they as usual call us to their office. I am in same boat with Application Processing Stage showing as "SCRUTINY - (Verification of Proof Documents)" from last November.
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArijitGupte View Post
Did that but now even after a month of the second upload it's still stuck in scrutiny.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankhade View Post
I am in same boat with Application Processing Stage showing as "SCRUTINY - (Verification of Proof Documents)" from last November.

Stuck at SCRUTINY stage at the RTO?

See point #5 in my post above

(Just highlighting this for others who might be scanning the thread quickly / missed it :-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArijitGupte View Post
Not sure if related but a few days in the local newspaper there was news about how Maharashtra RTOs are facing shortage of smart card for license.
I got my smart card license last month.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:05   #8
BHPian

Really helpful thread. Was wondering if there is anyone who has done online transfer of license from one state auto another. Tried on the web for my original state Bihar and could not proceed after I had put in new pin code outside of the state. It just won't accept it at all... Any guidance will be really appreciated.

Last edited by neerajku : 22nd August 2022 at 12:31. Reason: Minor formatting change :)
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajku View Post
Really helpful thread. Was wondering if there is anyone who has done online transfer of license from one state auto another. Tried on the web for my original state Bihar and could not proceed after I had put in new pin code outside of the state. It just won't accept it at all... Any guidance will be really appreciated.
I had submitted my address change application involving address change from Delhi to BLR. The process was almost the same as described above by Rehaan, with the exception that the application process asked me a couple of times that "Are you sure you want to change the address to a different state". In the end I was able to upload all documents, pay the required fees and is now waiting for the process to move forward as the status is struck at "Scrutiny: Verification of Proof Documents" since 1+ month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Noticed it was was just stuck at this "Scrutiny" stage since forever:

6) Wrote to the Sarathi helpdesk asking about the delay:

8) A very lazy while later... I finally visited the RTO:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
I got my address updated in the license few months back. It was a completely online process, just had to visit the RTO once.
Thanks for this information. My application is also struck at the same stage "Scrutiny" for the last 1+ month. I will write to the help-desk and see if I too need to visit the RTO. I certainly had my hopes high that I will not be required to visit the RTO, as advertised in BIG BLUE LETTERS on the application status:

"Application Submitted for Contactless Service. No need to visit RTO office."

DIY: Renewal of Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence online-app-status-rto.png
gurminder_81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 15:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurminder_81 View Post
I will write to the help-desk and see if I too need to visit the RTO.
Honestly, no point writing to the helpdesk. I just included it in my post as a process i followed to get a confirmation of further action - ie. visiting the RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurminder_81 View Post
advertised in BIG BLUE LETTERS on the application status:

"Application Submitted for Contactless Service. No need to visit RTO office."
Right!

I remember seeing that as well, hence was surprised by the response from helpdesk. However, at the same time, can't say it's very unexpected
Old 22nd August 2022, 15:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Honestly, no point writing to the helpdesk. I just included it in my post as a process i followed to get a confirmation of further action - ie. visiting the RTO.
Well, I knew it the moment I read this thread, but I still wrote and I also called their helpline no to get the confirmation whether I need to visit or not. The customer care executive confirmed that I do indeed need to visit the RTO with all documents: application status printout, fee receipt, original DL and original address proof and the photo copies.

Will update the thread, once I take some time out to visit the RTO.

When I pointed the disclaimer about NO NEED TO VISIT RTO to the customer care executive, she acknowledged immediately and referenced that they have already registered the feedback about incorrect information.

Last edited by gurminder_81 : 22nd August 2022 at 15:59. Reason: added more customer care experience.
gurminder_81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKeMo View Post
2. If you already have a smart DL, or after completion of step 1 above in case of paper DL: life is easier now, as you can use online DL renewal portal

a. Download and print Form 9, Form-1 and Form-1-A in case you are above 50 Yrs
https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in...riving-License
https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in.../GR/form1a.pdf

Please note that Form 1-A, a medical certificate in case your age is 50 Yr or above,
Thank you for sharing this information. For MH, Form 1-A is needed above age 40 or 50?
Old 22nd August 2022, 19:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_gear View Post
Thank you for sharing this information. For MH, Form 1-A is needed above age 40 or 50?
Hi, if I have understood correctly, For 1-A is required for
(1) a new DL applicant over 40 years, (2) persons over 50 years requiring renewal of DL and (3) anyone who is trying to get a DL for transport class vehicle.
Hope this answers your query.
Cheers!
MiKeMo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 21:14   #14
BHPian

I have couple of queries :-
1) For how long can you drive on Road with the expired license and are there fines if caught ?
2) From the original thread if I understood correctly the online process is helpful only if the license entries are in RTO database. If not then one has to visit the local office to get the information uploaded ? Please can someone confirm.
Old 23rd August 2022, 07:22   #15
BHPian

The timing of this post of perfect for me, just last week I checked that my license will expire in Oct. thanks for the detailed process. I have the follow no query:

- I read in the OP that address in licence & Aadhar need to be same, now the address on my license is the old house where we used to stay & Aadhar has updated address. So will I have to first update address & then do renewal or can I do both in the same step. Pls help.
P.S. with the change in address my RTO changes from Andheri to Wadala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks