Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is the best family car?
Traditional MPVs 91 44.17%
Crossover-Styled MPVs 38 18.45%
7-Seat SUVs 43 20.87%
7-Seat Crossovers 34 16.50%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2022, 21:24   #1
BHPian

The Best Family Car | MPVs vs SUVs/Crossovers

The below video had me thinking - which truly is better as a family car, an MPV or an SUV/Crossover?

This discussion has become interesting in recent years due to the rise of the 7-seat mid-size (US: compact) crossover segment thanks to cars such as the MG Hector Plus and Tata Safari, which means that no longer are we just comparing Innova vs Fortuner, but we can now also make a comparison for lower segments, such as Carens vs XUV7OO.

So, let's begin.

MPVs

Name:  toyotainnovacrysta02.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  165.0 KB

Advantages:
- Sometimes, the third row may end up being better than an equivalent SUV/Crossover. (case in point: my Innova Crysta vs my friend's Fortuner)
- Usually better road manners due to the lower ground clearance.
- Generally easier to maneuver and park on narrower roads. (larger vans like the Carnival and Vellfire are exceptions)

Disadvantages:
- Less ground clearance makes MPVs less rough-road friendly.
- Limited to no off-road capability. That being said, the RWD Crysta is probably better off-road than the FWD Safari/Hector+.
- No options between 45-85L. It's a straight jump from the Carnival to the V220d/Vellfire.

The Interesting Middle Ground: Crossover-Styled MPVs

The Best Family Car | MPVs vs SUVs/Crossovers-r-3.jpg

Crossover-styled MPVs are intriguing. This trend was kicked off in India with Maruti's XL6, based on the popular Ertiga. In 2022, Kia threw their hat into the ring with the Carens, which was effectively a stretched version of the Korean automaker's highly successful Seltos compact (US: subcompact) crossover. Globally, examples include the Toyota Veloz, based on the Ertiga-sized Avanza and the Geely Okavango pictured above. These are a decent choice if you want the practicality and versatility of an MPV with the height and road presence of an SUV.

7-seat SUVs

The Best Family Car | MPVs vs SUVs/Crossovers-pa020913.jpg

Advantages:
- Some SUVs (like the MG Gloster pictured above) actually do offer decent third-row space for adults.
- Amazing off-road capability! All body-on-frame SUVs currently on the market are RWD, if not 4x4.
- More abuse-friendly than monocoque MPVs. (but not any tougher than a BOF Marazzo/Crysta)

Disadvantages:
- A lot more body roll compared to a monocoque MPV.
- Expensive for a properly refined model! Even the top-end Scorpio-N breaches the 30L mark in some regions.
- Larger SUVs are trickier to pilot on narrow roads compared to a smaller MPV.

7-seat Crossovers

Name:  2022skodakodiaq01.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  197.9 KB

Advantages:
- Monocoque construction means that ride quality is comparable to a Carens/Ertiga/Carnival.
- Ingress/Egress is closer to an MPV than a big butch SUV.
- Generally cheaper than large body-on-frame SUVs.

Disadvantages:
- There is still some amount of body roll due to the ground clearance.
- Not as good off-road as a body-on-frame SUV, since most crossovers are FWD.
- 3rd row comfort usually isn't as good as a body-on-frame SUV or an MPV.

I've added a poll as well - do share your thoughts on this matter, BHPians!
Arsenic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 21:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Best Family Car | MPVs vs SUVs/Crossovers

If the definition of a family is 5 and more than occassionally 5+2 (kids), nothing beats a proper MUV. I shopped around a lot before I decided to finally accept it and got a Marazzo. Family trips with 5+2 atleast till Kolhapur from Pune have never been more fun and comfy. Sometimes even Goa (usually with 5) with a stop on the return leg. Marazzo has also been exceptionally car like when I drive it alone for work or within the city and great FE is the icing on the cake.

Recently, travelled a lot around Rajasthan in the Kia Carnival and my belief is only more firm.

With all its compromises around GC, FE, road manners when loaded, relatively lower set of features, low luggage space unless you get a roof rack or pack light etc, it is still your best bet for a comfortable family trip imo.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 20th August 2022 at 21:36.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 21:36   #3
BHPian

Voted 7 seater crossovers.

Simply because they offer a bit of everything, than excelling at one. We don't have many options here in India but for the sake of poll, they are the best option in my opinion.
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 10:06   #4
BHPian

As an interesting additional note, I can’t help but think that slowly traditional MPVs will begin disappearing in India. With rumours that the next-gen Innova will be crossover-styled with monocoque construction, eventually all traditional MPVs will either have a crossover-styled version, or get replaced by a crossover-styled next-generation. Just look at the new Kia Carnival: it’s become boxier and a little higher off the ground, so that it doesn’t resemble a traditional minivan.
Old 21st August 2022, 10:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

As of today, the best cars in the Indian market to ferry 7 people comfortably with their luggage are

1. Kia Carnival

2. MG Gloster

Honourable mention to the Innova Crysta and Tata Hexa. A family car needs to carry 6 or 7 adults in adequate space and comfort along with their weekend luggage. No other car fits the bill.

Everything else is a compromise. You’ll have to make do with a super cramped and/or poorly positioned third row or zero boot space or inadequate powertrains or bouncy ride for the third row or lack of width for seating 3 abreast in the middle. Every other car, be it XL6 or Carens or Kodiaq or Fortuner or XUV700…, they all suffer from some combination of this.

All talk of body style is redundant as far as the end customer is concerned. As long as the product meets the requirements at a fair price, it will be in business.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 21st August 2022 at 10:22.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 11:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

It depends on what constitutes a family - is it mix of elderly + kids, no.of family members etc. For my family of 2 adults, 1 elderly and 1 kid, I feel my Octavia is a family car.
And big SUVs cannot be a good family car, atleast for mine. My mom has arthritis and climbing up those big SUVs like Fortuner, Endeavour etc. are definitely not an option.
So one size wouldn’t fit for all. But in general a MPV or a 7 seater crossover seems to be good fit for most as a family car.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:47   #7
BHPian

I have voted for Traditional MUV.
Reason:
I have been a owner of a 7 seater MPV and every time I take it out on a long drive with 'Full-House', it gives me a sense of happiness and the pleasure of the Whole family traveling as One.
I had a hatchback earlier and during one scenario, my Father had to take Public transport since there were more people than the hatchback could fit [Father does not drive in cities]. I felt really sad and mentally decided that Our next car should be able to fit members of first circle in my family.
We had recently visited Kollur and the vehicle again was 'Full-House' + Packed with luggage in the boot. The car did not break a sweat and drove beautifully in the Ghats; this gave me that much more confidence on the vehicle and also felt Happy since all family members could travel together.
From a finance aspect also, owning a 7 seater makes sense [at least to me], since a good Sedan or a proper SUV would anyways cost North of 13-14 Lakh and a decent MUV which can seat 7 [in relative comfort with decent boot space] will probably cost 2-3 lakh more.

After multiple discussions with colleagues, I have come to understand that, if an individual does NOT feel the 'Need' for an MUV, they will NOT get convinced of buying a MUV though we give them multiple points of view. Also, for a family of 3-5, a MUV may not be required and neither do they appreciate the need of owning one.

Last edited by DiMaGo : 22nd August 2022 at 11:54. Reason: Corrected first statement to 'Traditional MPV' from just 'MPV'
DiMaGo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'd go for a traditional MPV like the Crysta anyday. The one thing that i hate about Monocoque is the way the car squats down when fully loaded. The Crysta in turn gets more comfortable when fully loaded and perfectly tackles the bad rods. Sadly it's a dying breed, with the Crysta Diesel axed, what do we have now?

Last edited by rakesh_r : 22nd August 2022 at 13:08.
rakesh_r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I'd go for a traditional MPV like the Crysta anyday. The one thing that i hate about Monocoque is the way the car squats down when fully loaded. The Crysta in turn gets more comfortable when fully loaded and perfectly tackles the bad rods. Sadly it's a dying breed, with the Crysta Diesel axed, what do we have now?
KIA Carens is the Innova equivalent now for family use, it is spacious and practical however what sets is apart is refinement and ease of use. For those who do not need the additional durability of a BOF MPV, Carens would do just fine.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 14:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
KIA Carens is the Innova equivalent now for family use, it is spacious and practical however what sets is apart is refinement and ease of use. For those who do not need the additional durability of a BOF MPV, Carens would do just fine.
Hello sir, been a long time since I've picked your brain on anything!

I also share in Rakesh's pessimism with non-BOF MPVs such as the Carens, due to their non-overloadability. In fact, even the BOF Marazzo takes underbody hits, from what I've heard. What's your take on the topic?

Personally, I despise GC problems and gravitate toward 7 seat SUVs for that reason. For all other purposes, MPVs make sense as people movers though.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 14:16   #11
BHPian

Depends on personal use cases. I actually have gone through the similar decision making process 3 year back and has bought the current gen Ertiga. At that time, Carens was not in market, hence the decision making was rather easy. My mother, who suffer from arthritis, finds it tough to climb in to even the sub 4meter SUV like Brezza, or even the Marazzo (A side step would have helped her better). Also the split folding rear seat make it a lot of flexible, in case we have 6 passengers but more luggage. I have voted for traditional MPVs (Also I wish if our main stream MPVs also comes with sliding rear doors, like those in the US minivans).
Old 22nd August 2022, 14:21   #12
BHPian

Voted for SUV as I feel MUVs are more of a compromise between SUV and car. While its hard to ignore this vehicle class, we are better off either a proper car or a proper SUV if you have other things in mind (read the disadvantages section of all MUV listed earlier)
The point I am trying to emphasise that if comfort is the primary aim, go for sedan and for occasional need hire a MPV. The MPV only brings in seating comfort in comparison to SUV but is too much of a compromise on driving pleasure.

Last edited by Wanderers : 22nd August 2022 at 14:22.
Old 22nd August 2022, 14:29   #13
BHPian

4 door sedan, no question about it. From body roll to handling to high speed stability (specially with heavy crosswinds). For larger families, simply take 2 large sedans over one dynamically compromised 7 seater. There’s a reason heads of state are 9/10 times driven in a flagship sedan/limo, not an SUV/MUV.

Last edited by AJ56 : 22nd August 2022 at 14:31.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 15:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Purely as a 'family' car, a traditional MPV works the best.

1. Better Space Management:
The likes of Innova, Marazzo, Ertiga (which are all MUVs) have better space for both humans and luggage than any of the comparable SUVs.
Especially, when it comes down to the third row, there is simply no contest.

2. Ease of Ingress/Egress:
MUVs tend to have lower ride height/lower ground clearance. This aids in ingress & egress.

3. Perception in Cabin:
Large glass area of MUVs results in a substantially enhanced feeling of 'airy-ness'.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:21   #15
BHPian

Voted traditional MPV. True family MPVs unless its the weekend only vehicle, need to wear various hats. Note that my viewpoint is based on the sales success of the cars in market as of today and individual view points can always be different, a lot boils down to specific use case and preference and the budget one is willing to spend when considering a buy decision.
  • Durable and time tested interiors that will last for all kinds of passengers (various age groups) --> Too many delicate electronics inside can sometime be a problem here but Indian buyers nowadays love sunroof for sure
  • Abuse friendly as there will be occasional tendencies to overload --> Body on frame gets advantage and some added power here will be great too
  • Can be taken anywhere within the sane limits of being non off-roader unless that is the ask too --> Respectable GC and rear wheel drives have an advantage here but recently Renault Triber marketed hill climbs with 7 on-board and 1 litre engine and FWD so cars are really evolving
  • Lasts long enough to be everyone's loved car --> Not pointing to any brand but lasting long can be a subjective opinion, some brands do offer durability and some others counter by lower initial price and lower ongoing run cost
  • Value for money --> Why Maruti Ertiga and Eeco in sales number stays the market leader for MPVs
  • Respectable boot with foldable seats to accommodate more and excellent space management along with optimal length for parking in garage and streets --> 4.4 meters length or below seems to be sweet spot here
  • Comfortable seating configurations to accommodate variety of people and postures along with luggage -->adjustable middle row with bench seat makes a mark for passenger and commercial segments
  • Last but not the least, safety and protection along with being driver / enthusiast car --> This comes last as the sales numbers say otherwise. Link is here (July 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis). While India has evolved as a market where people are willing to pay more if there is a car that suits most of their needs better if not all, the drivetrain and safety often seems to be left out

Last edited by haisaikat : 22nd August 2022 at 16:28.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks