Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz select variants discontinued

Tata Motors has made some changes to the Altroz line-up. The carmaker has axed four variants.

Tata Altroz select variants discontinued-2020tataaltroz01.jpg

While the Petrol XZA (O) variant has been discontinued, the hatchback is now available in XT Dark Edition trims. As for the diesel variants, the XE, XZ Dark and XZ (O) variants have been discontinued.

Tata Motors has re-introduced the High Street Gold exterior colour. The car is now available in 7 colour options, including Opera Blue, Arcade Grey, Downtown Red, Avenue White, Cosmo Black and Harbour Blue.

The Tata Altroz is available with 1.2-litre petrol, 1.2-litre turbo-petrol and 1.5-litre diesel engine options. A 5-speed manual transmission is standard across the range, while a dual-clutch automatic is available with the naturally aspirated 1.2-litre petrol engine.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd August 2022 at 16:36.
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz select variants discontinued

I have not been able to understand the variant decisions of this car maker since 10+ years and it seems it will continue for eternity. Well, not much to be said since the rejig is aligned with usual randomness outwardly. I don't understand the number analysis (lucky!).

Either way - the real news about this car that I'd be interested in are (in order of interest) -
  1. i-Turbo DCA launch
  2. 1.5 Diesel with TCAT launch
  3. 1.5 Diesel with DCA launch

Rest are more or less nuances.
Reinhard is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I have not been able to understand the variant decisions of this car maker since 10+ years and it seems it will continue for eternity. Well, not much to be said since the rejig is aligned with usual randomness outwardly. I don't understand the number analysis (lucky!).

Either way - the real news about this car that I'd be interested in are (in order of interest) -
  1. i-Turbo DCA launch
  2. 1.5 Diesel with TCAT launch
  3. 1.5 Diesel with DCA launch

Rest are more or less nuances.
Me too. Leave us measly humans, I dont think even the most powerful supercomputer we have right now can learn their variant rejig logic.

Not sure the diesel + DC launch will happen, but diesel + TC might happen. But, I've not heard any reports that they even have plans for a diesel automatic Altroz. Would be nice to have it, but if they have serious plans to do so, they must avoid the lame AMT for the premium hatch.

What they need to focus now is to not mess up the Blackbird launch. 20+ lac Tatas aren't selling to their full potential. I'd say 15+ lac is where the real profit margins start, the Blackbird would be a make it or break it car for their high profit margin with high sales dreams. And if they drip feed us, like they did with gen 1 harrier, then that is it. Dead. They need to launch it with a blast, like the 7OO, packed to the gills with features and maybe delay the Harrier petrol and launch the 1.5 petrol in a lower state of tune (120-125hp?) with a PROPER automatic in the Blackbird first. Anything but that 1.2 in this segment. 1.5 diesel is still more than good enough to power the Blackbird. I will be searching for a good diesel compact SUV to change my Tiago with, next year. The Hyundai group options have bad build quality and the VW group ones are only available with a petrol.

Last edited by SaiSW : 23rd August 2022 at 08:53.
Old 23rd August 2022, 09:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@Reinhard & @SaiSW - while we look at the variants about what they offer, companies would not want to produce variants that are not selling. Or the rare chance of some issue. Why cant this be the reason for the discontinuation ?

Most of us want the DCA with the Turbo petrol, and the diesel. But TM has it's own reasons for not giving that yet.

Companies do not need to say anything about discontinuing or introducing new variants.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 20:27   #5
BHPian

It seems Tata has taken a trial and error approach with variants. Looks like this approach worked for Nexon. Tata pricing is usually considered value for money so it was really surprising to read in a recent news article that Tata Motors makes more money per vehicle than Maruti.

Like everyone else, I too have a wishlist for Tata and that is a spacious and safe 7 seater in the 10-15L bracket.
Old 25th August 2022, 10:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
When it was time for me to replace my Tata Tiago XZA, I went straight to Tata dealership for a DCA Altroz . I like the space , interior and audio system in Altroz . However on test driving i was surprised at the lethargic throttle response of that 1.2NA was a dealbreaker!

Tata is missing out on i-Turbo DCA.
The omission of DCA in iTurbo made me skeptical on the fact that whether the DCA is fully developed and whether it is plonked along with the 1.2NA for test purpose on general public.

I went out and bought a VW GT Legend , even though it lacked all the creature comforts and practicality of Altroz. For some of us , mileage is secondary and Smiles per Kilometer is more important.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th August 2022 at 10:51. Reason: Quote content trimmed
cochinist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 17:59   #7
BHPian

Since the discussion of high performance variants have cropped up again, the folks in here need to keep in mind that TML has the numbers. No supercomputer is needed when the numbers tell the whole story. And the numbers probably says that Indian customers don't want high performance variants. Remember the JTP saga. Its not like TML didn't try to bring in performance tunings but they just don't seem to work here.

I feel like they have a plan of flooding the market with minute options and seeing which variants sticks and after gathering enough data, does away with variants that does not stick.
Garud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 18:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garud View Post
Since the discussion of high performance variants have cropped up again, the folks in here need to keep in mind that TML has the numbers. No supercomputer is needed when the numbers tell the whole story. And the numbers probably says that Indian customers don't want high performance variants. Remember the JTP saga. Its not like TML didn't try to bring in performance tunings but they just don't seem to work here.

I feel like they have a plan of flooding the market with minute options and seeing which variants sticks and after gathering enough data, does away with variants that does not stick.
Altroz 1.2 DCA , we are talking about decent performance and not high performance.
Well to talk about figures, yes, they lost one loyal Tata customer like me (Nano, Tiago1.2XZA, Nexon bought at launch, Safari 2021).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks